Lowland League General Discussion

FairWeatherFan

What happens with the current entry level SPFL clubs is an interesting one, because Edinburgh City have no ability to meet the 500 covered capacity criteria with Meadowbank only having 499 seats. Daft as it is to be missing out by one covered space, it's not their ground to expand on and Edinburgh Leisure don't seem to want them there in the first place.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

What happens with the current entry level SPFL clubs is an interesting one, because Edinburgh City have no ability to meet the 500 covered capacity criteria with Meadowbank only having 499 seats. Daft as it is to be missing out by one covered space, it's not their ground to expand on and Edinburgh Leisure don't seem to want them there in the first place.

If SPFL did try to expel EC an that basis, I'd have thought any court would overturn it on the 'de minimis' principle.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

They could probably bring along a foldable chair and put it under the cover on matchdays.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

I agree though that I'm surprised a club like Airdrie do not have a Bronze, perhaps that should have been a requirement for the Championship first before turning attentions to tier 5.

Bronze licensing has been a requirement for top 2 leagues since the spfl came in.  Airdrie are just another club that have been given a waiver as many have been given before

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

No they couldn’t as that would exceed the capacity which is deliberately set at 499 rather than 500.  

What does that mean? They were talking about putting another stand on the north side until recently, so how is the capacity fixed at 499?

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

What does that mean? They were talking about putting another stand on the north side until recently, so how is the capacity fixed at 499?

I can’t remember the exact details but it was deliberately fixed at 499 as 500 seats or above had different licensing conditions or something like that.

I’m sure someone will come along with a better explanation.

4 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I can’t remember the exact details but it was deliberately fixed at 499 as 500 seats or above had different licensing conditions or something like that.

I’m sure someone will come along with a better explanation.

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

500 capacity requires certain fire regs which is why many stands are built just under 

Ta. All the sources I can see say Meadowbank has 499 seats and standing room for 781. I don't know where that comes from or whether it applies to Edinburgh City's games, but there's certainly standing at Hibs Women games.

8 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Ta. All the sources I can see say Meadowbank has 499 seats and standing room for 781. I don't know where that comes from or whether it applies to Edinburgh City's games, but there's certainly standing at Hibs Women games.

There’s more standing room than that but not by much, there was 1380 at our last game there and the stand wasn’t full.

Standing at medowbank is based on 2 deep flat standing behind the goal and along one touchline. I have many words to describe medowbank and there’s nothing positive in there. I then compare it to civil service and there’s nothing good there either, even though they are licensed it’s a completely unacceptable standard for spfl. From that it’s clear the minimum requirment needs upped.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If there's 499 seats and Entry licencing requires cover for at least two wheelchair users. Then the 500 by SFA licensing standards should already be met.

There is space for wheelchair users, and I seem to remember some companion seats, both of which are bound to be included in the 499 capacity.

I’m sure they would have been pretty careful on this point, with being at precisely 499 seats for a good reason.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If there's 499 seats and Entry licencing requires cover for at least two wheelchair users. Then the 500 by SFA licensing standards should already be met.

You’re assuming the two wheelchair attendees count as seated.  I have no idea if they do or don’t but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s entirely separate.

25 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You’re assuming the two wheelchair attendees count as seated.  I have no idea if they do or don’t but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s entirely separate.

Bronze doesn't require 500 seats, its only a 100 with 500 total counting as covered. 

I'm assuming 499 seats + 2 crossing the 500 covered threshold. 

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

3 rows of a 100 seats.

Bit short of 499.

7 hours ago, PossilYM said:

3 rows of a 100 seats.

Bit short of 499.

What makes you think it's 3 rows of 100 seats?

ETA I went and counted because I am a sadcase, comparing the planning permission with photos. There are 162 in each of the front 2 rows and 171 in the back row, plus 4 seats beside the wheelchair spaces, for a total of 499.

Edited by GordonS