September 2022 Scotland squad

The whole McCrorie thing's weird. Barely featured since his really poor spells at Livi yet Clarke seems to think he's the future of Scottish goalkeeping. 

If Hendry had played consistently this season then he'd be my guess for CCB but his lack of game time complicates it. 

We do have quite a few forward options (at least one for every position if playing a front 3) but Clarke tends to like at least three strikers in the squad and, as Craig said, it looks like that will be Tommy Conway. Alan Nixon has reported it and he's usually pretty reliable. 

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't expect to see it, but I do think Greg Taylor has a lot of the necessary attributes to play the Tierney role. Maybe just a wee bit small, but Tierney's not exactly massive himself.

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

McTominay, Hendry, McKenna it is. 

Have I missed something, but Kieran Tierney is fit and available isn’t he?

I would expect to see Tierney in the back three tomorrow night with Taylor (or possibly Hickey) at LWB.

McTominay will be the RCB. Clarke gave that away by naming it his best position the other day.

I would lean McKenna in the middle, but could be Hendry. 

Have I missed something, but Kieran Tierney is fit and available isn’t he?

I would expect to see Tierney in the back three tomorrow night with Taylor (or possibly Hickey) at LWB.

McTominay will be the RCB. Clarke gave that away by naming it his best position the other day.

I would lean McKenna in the middle, but could be Hendry. 

Tierney is fit aye, and I'd expect him to play all three games in there. Just talking about other centre-back options.

20 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

You'd be interested to see if a centre half can play centre half?  Aye it's a mystery right enough.

Hanley plays centre-back differently to how Tierney plays centre-back. Replacing Hanley is different to replacing Tierney and would therefore be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by 2426255

In general I'm not a massive fan of calling up Championship jobbers, guys that I would consider have hit their ceiling and unlikely to play at a higher level or progress much beyond where they are now. These players are usually in abundance and hit the odd purple patch every season or two. Sometimes they look like they might be useful in a Scotland shirt but often they look like they would be way down the pecking order and a bit of a liability.

Current guys in that category - Dom Hyam (Blackburn), Liam Lindsay (Preston), Kal Naismith (Bristol), Murray Wallace (Millwall), Tom McIntyre (Reading)

However, nations league squads like these where we are struggling with injury are exactly the type of squads where guys like this should be utilised. I might be wrong but I feel like SC often doesn't use his full available squad size to the point where I think we have sometimes had spaces on the available subs bench for some games.

Between the five centre backs mentioned above there must be between 300 - 400 appearances I would guess at Championship level between them. From their playing level/history and from what I have personally seen of these players, I would suggest squad cover/filler isn't beyond some of them for precisely the reason we find ourselves in now. Likelihood is none of them would play - but an injury to McKenna in one of these games and suddenly you need a back up centre half on the bench ready to step in.

For what its worth - McIntyre and Hyam are the two to me that seem most capable at performing at a higher level but it also wouldn't surprise me if neither does

I would certainly be in favour of him integrating some of these players, but it's a delicate balance to be had.

On the one hand, they are probably high profile enough to not want to be called into multiple squads and get no minutes.

And on the other hand Clarke probably doesn't want to give the impression of lots of new faces each time.

Going to trust his judgement call on this, but for me at least one or two of the above could step up (and we might not know until we try them).

10 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

I might be wrong but I feel like SC often doesn't use his full available squad size to the point where I think we have sometimes had spaces on the available subs bench for some games.

The matchday squad is limited to 23 players in UEFA competitions. Steve Clarke has failed to select a full matchday squad for 5/13 games in the last 12 months: Denmark (19), Austria (21); Moldova (21), Denmark (22); Armenia (22).

Steve Clarke is aware of what he needs. The first two games are in Glasgow and we know players have been told they are on standby previously to allow them personal time without dragging them officially into the squad unnecessarily.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

What 

Stop being difficult please.

24 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The matchday squad is limited to 23 players in UEFA competitions. Steve Clarke has failed to select a full matchday squad for 5/13 games in the last 12 months: Denmark (19), Austria (21); Moldova (21), Denmark (22); Armenia (22).

Steve Clarke is aware of what he needs. The first two games are in Glasgow and we know players have been told they are on standby previously to allow them personal time without dragging them officially into the squad unnecessarily.

Stop being difficult please.

Stop talking pish

On 20/09/2022 at 00:02, craigkillie said:

A bit of a rumour that Tommy Conway is being called up from the U21s. Has made a cracking start to the season at Bristol City.

On 20/09/2022 at 08:11, accies1874 said:

We do have quite a few forward options (at least one for every position if playing a front 3) but Clarke tends to like at least three strikers in the squad and, as Craig said, it looks like that will be Tommy Conway. Alan Nixon has reported it and he's usually pretty reliable. 

I wonder if he has joined up unofficially with the squad.

On 24/08/2022 at 15:39, Detournement said:

5-3-2 has been an utter failure in terms of winning important matches. It's time for a change.

On 06/09/2022 at 14:57, Donathan said:

That’s another reason why a flat back four should be strongly in consideration. I think Hanley and McKenna would be a perfectly good pairing in a back four. 

On 12/09/2022 at 21:40, bleedingums said:

I’d like to see a back four tried as well.

On 12/09/2022 at 23:57, velo army said:

I love a 4-5-1 and would be excited by this. I just know Clarke will go for a 3-5-2, but if he does it'll be the same result as last time.

On 13/09/2022 at 22:40, edinabear said:

Not sure who else could really step in but with Robertson injured it's time to ditch this 541 and start playing players in the correct positions.

On 15/09/2022 at 17:50, BingMcCrosby said:

Im not sure we can be without a rethink on the formation and tactics.

If you play a back-3 folk start calling for a back-4. I saw in the Ukrainian Press Conference that if you play a back-4 you'll get asked if you're going to use a back-3 and so we go on. 😁

After tonight’s result we are in a good position to try and win the group. I think we need any of the following things to happen:

1. Avoid defeat in both of our final 2 games

2. Beat Ukraine (Regardless of result against Ireland)

3. Get a point against Ukraine, and Ukraine drop points in Armenia

4. Beat Ireland and Ukraine drop points in Armenia

5. Draw with Ireland, Ukraine lose in Armenia, and we avoid a heavy defeat to Ukraine (losing by 1 or 2 would be fine. If we lost by 3 it would go to Goal Difference and they’d probably leapfrog us)

With Turnbull and now Patterson out, Steve Clarke said after the game that there would "definitely be one, maybe two players coming in"

With Ralston in as right back cover already, I suspect it will just be a midfielder coming in to the squad.

Genuinely think this would be a great time to call Elliot Anderson up to main squad. The lad is clearly an exceptional talent. Get him involved