September 2022 Scotland squad

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Ferguson has to be below McGregor, McGinn, Gilmour, McTominay, McLean and Jack in the pecking order for central midfield positions. It’s really not a big deal because he’s not an important player. 

He is, but he's also a big player for the future in the same way that McGinn was regularly in squads at a similar age despite playing in the second tier for Hibs.

Game is less than 2 weeks away, assume the squad will be out early next week?

Here’s my stab at it;

Goalkeepers: Gordon, Kelly, McLaughlin

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Taylor, Hanley, McKenna, Hendry, Porteous

Midfielders: Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Jack, McLean, Armstrong, Turnbull, Fraser, Christie

Attackers: Dykes, Adams, Brown, Shankland

Porteous? I hear you all saying, Hibs bias I hear you all saying.

Honestly Porteous (although better on Saturday) is in his worst form right now since signing for Hibs and doesn’t deserve a place however due to injuries if we want 4 centre halfs then I think he may need to go in?

Cooper? Injured, Souttar? Injured, Halkett? Injured, unless my mind has completely drawn blanks I’m not sure who else there is. Gallagher maybe? Stephen Welsh? Tom McIntyre at Reading?

Clarke may opt to only go for 3 centre halfs plus McTominay tbf and like I say Porteous doesn’t deserve a call up but as it’s a triple header I reckon we’ll see a more inflated squad like we have previously.

46 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

as it’s a triple header I reckon we’ll see a more inflated squad like we have previously.

Agreed, The squad sizes for triple headers have been set to at least 26 players with us selecting 27 players for the Serbia triple header and 28 for the June quadruple header.

I’ve been a big advocate for Gallagher being finished for Scotland but there should be no way Porteous gets in the squad ahead of him in current form.

Even Clarke bedding someone new into the squad this time like Hyam or Welsh would be better than Porteous.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

I've been more positive about 'Porto for Scotland' than most but he's been ridiculously bad the few times I've seen him (not dreadful against Rangers tbf), plus Clarke not picking him in March when he was playing really well and instead opting for Halkett when someone pulled out might have told us something.

There are a few Forum Favourites kicking about the Championship like Kerr and Lindsay but it's slim pickings for viable options at the moment.

I'd quite like to see one or two fresh selections but I'm struggling for names in potential problem positions.

11 hours ago, Donathan said:

Read an article that Dykes is on poor form and QPR set to drop him. It’s a shame about the Stewart injury. Feels like this would have been the time for the Loch Ness Drogba to make the jersey his own. 

Homelander The Boys GIF - Homelander The Boys The Boys Homelander -  Discover & Share GIFs

13 hours ago, Donathan said:

Read an article that Dykes is on poor form and QPR set to drop him. It’s a shame about the Stewart injury. Feels like this would have been the time for the Loch Ness Drogba to make the jersey his own. 

This one?

Expecting the squad to be:

Gordon
McLaughlin
Kelly

Robertson
Tierney
Taylor

Patterson
Hickey

Hanley
McKenna
Hendry

Gilmour
McGregor
McTominay
Jack
Campbell

McGinn
Turnbull
Armstrong

Adams
Dykes
Burke
Fraser

I didn't realize how thin on the ground we are for centre backs till I tried to list this squad - Cooper, Halkett, Souttar all out injured. Shouts for Gallagher don't sound too demented in that respect.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Expecting the squad to be:

Gordon
McLaughlin
Kelly

Robertson
Tierney
Taylor

Patterson
Hickey

Hanley
McKenna
Hendry

Gilmour
McGregor
McTominay
Jack
Campbell

McGinn
Turnbull
Armstrong

Adams
Dykes
Burke
Fraser

I didn't realize how thin on the ground we are for centre backs till I tried to list this squad - Cooper, Halkett, Souttar all out injured. Shouts for Gallagher don't sound too demented in that respect.

I know that you technically have five options for centre back in this squad (Tierney will very likely play LCB and McTominay could be brought into the back three again) but I’d be very surprised to see only McKenna, Hanley and Hendry called up as natural centre backs. Hendry hasn’t kicked a ball yet this season so may well be lacking match sharpness.

Cooper was on the bench for Leeds last week but it’s hard to see him getting called up given he’s just back from injury. I do think Gallagher or another surprise will be brought in as cover, but don’t expect to see them starting any of the matches.

Assuming we stick with the back three it’ll surely be McTominay/Hendry RCB, Hanley in the middle, Tierney LCB 

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Campbell might come in if Ferguson continues to not play, but I'd imagine Kenny McLean would be ahead of both.

Christie will also be in but the other forward options are a case of who the f**k knows.

Is Jacob Brown injured? Would be surprised to see him miss out if not

I know that you technically have five options for centre back in this squad (Tierney will very likely play LCB and McTominay could be brought into the back three again) but I’d be very surprised to see only McKenna, Hanley and Hendry called up as natural centre backs. Hendry hasn’t kicked a ball yet this season so may well be lacking match sharpness.

Cooper was on the bench for Leeds last week but it’s hard to see him getting called up given he’s just back from injury. I do think Gallagher or another surprise will be brought in as cover, but don’t expect to see them starting any of the matches.

Assuming we stick with the back three it’ll surely be McTominay/Hendry RCB, Hanley in the middle, Tierney LCB 
Yeah can't disagree with any of that really. Wish we didn't have to keep falling back on McT at CB. He's good in many respects in that position, but it just feels like a sticking plaster.

50 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Hendry hasn’t kicked a ball yet this season so may well be lacking match sharpness.

To be fair albeit limited he has played some football this season. 90 minutes for Club Brugge against Eupen and the final 10 minutes or so against Atalanta today with a game scheduled next Sunday against Lazio.

45 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Wish we didn't have to keep falling back on McT at CB. He's good in many respects in that position, but it just feels like a sticking plaster.

It may feel that way to you but I think the evidence points towards a choice being made.

• The Ukraine game in June we could have played either Jack Hendry or John Souttar there instead and so you'd have to conclude that Steve Clarke made a choice to play Scott McTominay in a back-3 and wasn't forced into it.
  • The Armenia away game is slightly different in that his options were restricted - but even with that he could have played a back-4 and so again deliberately chose to play SM as a centre back.