The Queen of the South thread

5 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Anyone who witnessed the penalty shootout win against Thistle in the challenge cup final knows that penalty kicks are far from a lottery. It's bizarre to me that after Robinsons creative tactics to help win us the cup it's the Queens fans who seem to dislike him whereas Thistle fans have probably gotten over it by now. I assume hem hem Besty was there to witness that game?

Unfashionable though it seems to be I'm still a fan of Robinson and of 2 year contracts. While his situation seems to have been managed poorly (and we seem to have made a bit of a habit of this) having to basically resign or lose half the squad every year is no way to forge a stable team spirit for the new season and we've been doing that for years now.

Given that more than half the people on here think Naysmith is a poor man manager, it confuses me why everyone would think this situation must be Robinsons fault.

Robinson maybe was a good keeper but he was becoming more of a liability after every game .

It really sumed him up with the goa against Dunfermline only he could cock that up 

The problem is that he is a player coach with us so is on a good wage so not so easy to get rid.

McFadden as a player coach if we can  somehow get rid of Robinson.

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Robinson maybe was a good keeper but he was becoming more of a liability after every game .

It really sumed him up with the goa against Dunfermline only he could cock that up 

The problem is that he is a player coach with us so is on a good wage so not so easy to get rid.

McFadden as a player coach if we can  somehow get rid of Robinson.

Oh yeah,

Blunder goalie Martin was robbed by Harkins as he tried to dribble past the striker outside the box. Harkins squared to Forrest to roll the ball into an open goal.

dont get too excited judge him over the season,I'm sure you yourself thought it was a masterstroke bringing Robinson back after a dozen games or so

Edited by Besty

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

We all make mistakes that is one for the season for Martin .

Martin was the Dumbarton player of the year not something Robinson could claim last season

Robinson last mistake against Dunfermline was his last of many for Queens.

So what was the mistake the,enlighten me

Oh yeah,
Blunder goalie Martin was robbed by Harkins as he tried to dribble past the striker outside the box. Harkins squared to Forrest to roll the ball into an open goal.
dont get too excited judge him over the season,I'm sure you yourself thought it was a masterstroke bringing Robinson back after a dozen games or so

So what was the mistake the,enlighten me

Enough is enough with this tedious goalkeeper talk. The subject has been covered to death over the last few weeks.

In the words of the song......"let it go.....".

If Lee Robinson could take better goal-kicks and was comfortable with the ball at his feet, didn't clown about goading opposition strikers and indulge in stupid time-wasting tactics, didn't slip on his arse at vital moments when under no pressure, could set up a defensive wall properly, and was more vocal with his defence, he could possibly still be a good enough keeper. 

That brings me to another point. I would say that on last Saturday's evidence it looks like our keeper will be the busiest in the division (again) dealing with pass backs. I would hazard a guess that we top the charts for this. There's obviously not enough composure or confidece on the ball by defenders or good enough movement further up the park with players looking to get the ball from defenders so they are closed down resulting in the ball going back to the keeper. At least we now seem to have a keeper who looks fairly comfortable on the ball. (apart from one slightly scary moment on Saturday.)

5 hours ago, Besty said:

Oh yeah,

I assume you're referring to Martin doing this for us last season against Ayr? Fairly sure he was inside the box and stupidly tried to sell a dummy, got it wrong and held up his hands after the game. It was a match in which the entire team were hopeless and that mistake summed up the day. Martin would go on to save us many more points over the season with some ridiculous saves and the only other mistake I can really think of was him spilling a shot at Tannadice which led to a goal.

Use your own advice, judge him over the season. I'd be willing to bet large amounts of money that his mistakes are few and far between.

3 hours ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Enough is enough with this tedious goalkeeper talk. The subject has been covered to death over the last few weeks.

In the words of the song......"let it go.....".

Exactly ,you get some right odd bods on here.

They just can't let it drop.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I assume you're referring to Martin doing this for us last season against Ayr? Fairly sure he was inside the box and stupidly tried to sell a dummy, got it wrong and held up his hands after the game. It was a match in which the entire team were hopeless and that mistake summed up the day. Martin would go on to save us many more points over the season with some ridiculous saves and the only other mistake I can really think of was him spilling a shot at Tannadice which led to a goal.

Use your own advice, judge him over the season. I'd be willing to bet large amounts of money that his mistakes are few and far between.

In that case it's OK then, being cocky doesn't count.

But if you slip your useless.

Anyway as the guy said we've exhausted this one , let's mooooooooove on.

Edited by Besty

Whilst Naysmith so far has screamed absolute diddy, the concerning thing was that I doubt sacking Naysmith would make a difference to the current board's transfer policy. The main change between last season and the current one is Skelton  moaned a lot less publicly and had the assortment of youth teamers that acted as a masquerade for the lack of investment in the first team. Combined with a public expectation of top half, there is a feeling of having to do more with less. Which does fit in with P&B's 'Tory Borders Bumpkin' narrative unfortunately.

We have the Third smallest budget in the division only ones smaller are Brechin and Dumbarton, we need to be realistic in our hopes for this season. i think finishing mid table is a good achievement for the team, i would say that Brechin will be bottom and Dumbarton Livingston should be fighting it out for 9th, i would say that as long as we get decent results against the teams round us we should be fine.

i hope that we will sign some players on loan to bulk out the team a wee bit as we do look light, bit gutted Faddy left Motherwell as that could have been a potential outlet for us to receive favorable loans (hopefully on the cheap)

I think most people are right about Mercer he seems decent going forward but is a bit of a bomb-scare in the defensive areas, Lyndon one minute looks like his confidence is shot then the next minute doesn't look like he can be bothered, there is definitely  a player in there its just trying to get him back out, that first Quarter under Skelton he was pretty good, but since then he has just went down hill.

In regards to the Tapping Hilson situation my personal take on that is Hilson was more injury prone than Tapping, Tapping's injury was operated on wrongly and now it seems to be fixed and there shouldn't be any reoccurring problems with it. Where as Hilson was having problems playing on astro turf and that was causing niggling injuries and contributed to his broken foot.

I like some of the things Gary Naysmith has done the fitness levels of the players seems a lot higher and he has brought a more professional stance on things like videoing match and taking the team through things before and after games, But there is also negatives like the constant use of long ball tactics and he does seem to be very negative at times in his interviews, but you would hope that with the experience he has had at international level and at Everton etc he should have enough knowledge to get us on a decent playing field even with the budget constraints.

Edited to add i have not posted in a while but thought i would throw my thoughts in there 

Edited by temps15

I can't believe there are one or two calls for Naysmith's head!

He started well with us before a somewhat disappointing last quarter.

The league cup has not been very encouraging either but he's done nothing to warrant panic. This is now His team so there are no excuses. He will be judged on the first quarter.

The strength of the current squad is worrying but everyone agrees more signings are needed. Let's see who he brings in and how we start.

Mid table is probably a realistic target for us if our budget really is 3rd bottom. We can probably only challenge nearer the top if we get lucky with signings/injuries/youth players.