The Queen of the South thread

13 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

We've had Wilson with us for at least a couple of spells.  As others have said, when fit he's an asset, no argument and particularly so at L1.  The problem is that he never stays fit for a decent run of games, it just doesn't happen - and its a shame for him.

Initially this will shock most Queens fans - but I think we're starting to see the measure of Marvin Bartley the manager here.  It's becoming clear that he doesn't mess about, doesn't sit on any fences, doesn't prevaricate, doesn't carry passengers - the guy makes decisions (either during or outside of a match), and quickly as he knows his tenure can be short if he doesn't.  Don't know about others but I think its a refreshing change. He's going to get a few of these wrong now and then but hopefully more right than wrong.

I like the cut of Marvin’s jib. Professional and wants to win. Will make tough calls. He is young so won’t get them all right but he is determined to succeed. 

13 hours ago, Slipmat said:

No.

I think it was in the first game of his second loan spell with us that Johnston played him at centre-back - Brownlie had just been transferred to Thistle and Kilday was injured so we were short of bodies.  Let's just say it didn't go well.  I don't think he's ever played in that position again, certainly not with Queens.

3 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Coudn't remember the details but knew he had played at least one game at cb, which, as you say wasn't a great success. 

That was my poor attempt at a 'joke'...

If he can't play right-back or centre-half - or cover every blade of grass for 90 minutes every week -- we really don't need him.

I'll be very surpised if this happens, to say the least.

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I'll be very surpised if this (Wilson on loan to Morton) happens, to say the least.

Think most Queens fans would be surprised too - maybe just the usual journo guesswork you get in the Record.  That said, if Bartley does want him shipped out on loan it's probably going to be to another FT side and I doubt he'd want him going to one of our FT rivals in L1.  So in that sense there maybe is some logic in loaning to a Championship club as he's clearly got the ability for at least a lower half Championship side.

23 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Think most Queens fans would be surprised too - maybe just the usual journo guesswork you get in the Record.  That said, if Bartley does want him shipped out on loan it's probably going to be to another FT side and I doubt he'd want him going to one of our FT rivals in L1.  So in that sense there maybe is some logic in loaning to a Championship club as he's clearly got the ability for at least a lower half Championship side.

It's a bit of a leftfield rumour. I'd be pleased with it if it happened as it'd free up some wages. 

Didn’t see it at the time but McClelland pulled their forward back at  0-1 when already on a first half booking. Very lucky not to get a second yellow for that one. He has only played a handful of games but has already had two “reds”. Needs to wise up - not somebody you want to see getting an early yellow as the “ penny doesn’t seem to drop”.

14 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Just seen a clip of Verane's celebration after scoring for Manchester United last night  Then checked the Sky Sports App, and don't see a Yellow Card against his name. One rule for some?

And now seen a clip of McClelland's 2nd yellow. He didn't even run into the crowd, there was a running track between him and the fans! He's been booked because some idiots ran to him!

9 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

And now seen a clip of McClelland's 2nd yellow. He didn't even run into the crowd, there was a running track between him and the fans! He's been booked because some idiots ran to him!

I think he has been unlucky, but also a bit daft.

The moment the ball goes into the net, the ref takes off in the direction of the track himself, and I think that's because he's seen some fans running onto the track.

As McClelland runs to the side of the pitch, the linesman signals for him to stop, but he doesn't and continues heading towards the fans.

I agree that if the fans hadn't burst forward, as facilitated by the ridiculous set-up at the ground, then McClelland wouldn't have got that second booking.  If his own actions had been more sensible, however, he'd still have avoided the fate, himself.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What do you think?

Aye, I drove past Palmerston last night and it's still the same. Just take the whole sign down, better no sign than one that's not updated. At least the broken clock above  the Oakbank Terrace is right twice a day. 

That's Wilson away to Morton on a season long loan - confirmed on the OS.  We won't see him back at Queens again as his contract expires at the end of the season..

Seems to suit both parties: Wilson wanted away to a Championship side in the summer, and whilst he would have kept him Bartley was clearly frustrated with his lack of availability due to seemingly endless niggling injuries.  On the plus side that should hopefully free up some budget for Bartley to do some new business with.

Wilson is such a frustrating one. 

When he signed for us he looked like a real player. Driving forward and tracked back well.

If he could have stayed injury free then his career would have taken him much higher. As it is, I'm surprised Morton are taking a loanee from L1, and a high risk given his injury record.