The Queen of the South thread

You would think that by now, almost every single manager would've admitted its a failure, put their hands up and say, I'm sorry, this isn't working and walk away with their tail between their legs. 

I think Bartley isn't going anywhere now or next season if he isn't pushed by the board. I'm sure he actually thinks our predicament hasn't got anything to do with his failings as a manger. It looks to me as if it is always someone else's fault and that's why, I reckon, he will not ever leave of his own accord. 

3 hours ago, Frankie S said:

Up until our board collectively abandoned ship, I thought we had (just) enough about us to avoid relegation. Now we’re a rudderless vessel drifting helplessly towards the rocks, and given our collective lack of appetite for the challenge, I really can’t see us prevailing against the likes of Spartans, Dumbarton or Peterhead in a play off, if we do finish 9th. Brydon’s latest setback, after only recently coming back from injury, hasn’t helped, as he’s one of a handful of players we have that isn’t a complete waste of space, but overall, this is the most hapless collection of imposters masquerading as a football team that I’ve seen representing the club in many years. Bartley is clearly delusional and out of his depth, but he’s effectively been left with the keys to the asylum. What an utter dereliction of duty by the board to head for the lifeboats just as the iceberg looms into view. Nevertheless, the club needs cleared out from top to bottom - board, management, players. Hopefully that will happen in the summer, after our new board (whoever that is) takes charge. Sadly, it looks increasingly likely that their unenviable task of rebuilding the club from the wreckage will begin in League Two.

Disagree with most of this. It is good news the board are stepping down. I think it has come too late. I hardly think the fact that we are in such a shit state under their leadership is grounds for them to grant themselves a reprieve from the axe. Their stewardship after our relegation from the Championship has been piss poor. There is no reason to think it would be better after our relegation from League One. You are applying the same logic Bartley has applied in his most recent post-match interview, suggesting he should stick around to "drag this club" out of the very mess he created. 

In any event, we are not a rudderless ship, notwithstanding the board have announced they are stepping down. They can and are still exercising their powers as directors. They can still make decisions, including the decision to sack Bartley. There is no reason to believe that the fact they are stepping down at the end of the season has influenced their decision to retain him. Correlation does not equal causation. 

24 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

They can and are still exercising their powers as directors. They can still make decisions, including the decision to sack Bartley. There is no reason to believe that the fact they are stepping down at the end of the season has influenced their decision to retain him. 

Looks very much like they’ve abdicated responsibility for sacking him, as well as abdicating responsibility for the mess the club is currently in.  I agree they should have stepped down before, as the club has been drifting aimlessly towards the lower depths of Scottish football for years, with the stadium disintegrating before our eyes, and the fans drifting away. The board need to outline their succession plan ASAP, to remove uncertainty. 

48 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Looks very much like they’ve abdicated responsibility for sacking him, as well as abdicating responsibility for the mess the club is currently in.  I agree they should have stepped down before, as the club has been drifting aimlessly towards the lower depths of Scottish football for years, with the stadium disintegrating before our eyes, and the fans drifting away. The board need to outline their succession plan ASAP, to remove uncertainty. 

There is an inherent contradiction in your post. See bold above.

I see no reason to believe that Bartley remaining in post is a function of the board's imminent departure, rather than just the application of their usual poor judgment and passivity.

@Otis Blue see above - no need for me to repeat this on two separate threads!

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

2 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

There is an inherent contradiction in your post. See bold above.

I see no reason to believe that Bartley remaining in post is a function of the board's imminent departure, rather than just the application of their usual poor judgment and passivity.

Unless it’s a big drubbing on Saturday then no chance he will go and sadly with the number of games left unless it is the assistant ( please god no) or a senior player too late imho for anyone to come in to save us. The only thing we can hope for is effort and fight from the players. Well that’s us gubbed then…

….I could actually see us going the rest of the season without another win. 

3 hours ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

... and see my reply to you in the Alloa match thread ... you misunderstood my point.

It really is a mess..... 

What we are witnessing on the pitch is a direct cancerous effect from off the pitch goings on.  The team we have, have shown glimpses that they can play football and I have no doubt that if managed correctly, with the knowledge that there was full unity and the manager had their backs... that results would turn round.  Instead they have nil respect for the manager and full working knowledge that he's not going anywhere.  Add onto this now the news of the board leaving and the players will generally be all over the place, through no full fault of their own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we have a league winning squad but we certainly don't have a squad that deserves to be where it is.  Yes there have been injuries, but i'm not buying that excuse as the manager has got 2 full squads to play for... his arguement at the AGM that the younger players aren't quite 'there' yet doesn't stand as if they aren't good enough... then he shouldn't have signed them.

My biggest concern is that the Board haven't acted and seem to be sleep walking until the end of their tenure and letting the new board change things around.  To go out on a positive note, their easiest win would be sacking this imposter and putting someone in the game until end of the season who will be able to motivate a young team.  Dougie Anderson and Eddie Warwick have the abilities to engage and motivate until the end of the season easily.  Yes they are untested, but both have the man management and technical abilities in abundance, while having a relationship with the team.  Would they step in and help until the end of the season? debatable... but would love to hear the board have been looking for replacements. 

3 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

It really is a mess..... 

What we are witnessing on the pitch is a direct cancerous effect from off the pitch goings on.  The team we have, have shown glimpses that they can play football and I have no doubt that if managed correctly, with the knowledge that there was full unity and the manager had their backs... that results would turn round.  Instead they have nil respect for the manager and full working knowledge that he's not going anywhere.  Add onto this now the news of the board leaving and the players will generally be all over the place, through no full fault of their own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe we have a league winning squad but we certainly don't have a squad that deserves to be where it is.  Yes there have been injuries, but i'm not buying that excuse as the manager has got 2 full squads to play for... his arguement at the AGM that the younger players aren't quite 'there' yet doesn't stand as if they aren't good enough... then he shouldn't have signed them.

My biggest concern is that the Board haven't acted and seem to be sleep walking until the end of their tenure and letting the new board change things around.  To go out on a positive note, their easiest win would be sacking this imposter and putting someone in the game until end of the season who will be able to motivate a young team.  Dougie Anderson and Eddie Warwick have the abilities to engage and motivate until the end of the season easily.  Yes they are untested, but both have the man management and technical abilities in abundance, while having a relationship with the team.  Would they step in and help until the end of the season? debatable... but would love to hear the board have been looking for replacements. 

Pretty sound post in my opinion. What did Marv say about the football side of the business at the agm  ?

3 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

It really is a mess..... 

Dougie Anderson works for the SFA and therefore can't be employed by a club due to their rules 

35 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Pretty sound post in my opinion. What did Marv say about the football side of the business at the agm  ?

Blamed most of the issues on injuries... he was asked that with the size of squad he had assembled he should be able to field a second team no problem. He refused and said they were youngsters and couldn't be called upon as 'first teamers'... absolute nonsense.  Although understand the injuries to key players... as a fulltime squad of 27 or whatever, against majority of part timers, they should still be able to hold their own..... so don't have that rubbish excuse.

10 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

Dougie Anderson works for the SFA and therefore can't be employed by a club due to their rules 

ahhhh bugger... didn't realise there was clauses aligned to the employment.  I know he was doing work with them and that pretty much was the basis of my arguement, but sadly will retract.  

18 minutes ago, Baller69 said:

What's is Dougie Andersons successor Laurie Ellis (?) up to nowadays, always thought he put a bit of effort and vitality into the pre-match routines trying to gee players up. Not saying he should be a candidate for a long term appointment mind.

14 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What's is Dougie Andersons successor Laurie Ellis (?) up to nowadays, always thought he put a bit of effort and vitality into the pre-match routines trying to gee players up. Not saying he should be a candidate for a long term appointment mind.

i remember that name. sure he played for us for a season back in the 2000s. 

40 minutes ago, WattersIsGod said:

i remember that name. sure he played for us for a season back in the 2000s. 

Sure he was a coach at Raith Rovers and had a spell in charge of Queens Park at the outset of their "journey to the top".  He was brought in to QotS by Naysmith when assistant D. Anderson jumped ship early to take up his post at the SFA. Ellis also left QotS when Naysmith deservedly got his jotters.

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Laurie is currently an academy coach at Rangers. An absolute diamond of a guy.

13 hours ago, Mon_The_South said:

Blamed most of the issues on injuries... he was asked that with the size of squad he had assembled he should be able to field a second team no problem. He refused and said they were youngsters and couldn't be called upon as 'first teamers'... absolute nonsense.  Although understand the injuries to key players... as a fulltime squad of 27 or whatever, against majority of part timers, they should still be able to hold their own..... so don't have that rubbish excuse.

That'll be the same youngsters that scored 5 goals at Kilmarnock in the reserve league this afternoon.

I was really pinning my hopes on Kelty somehow doing worse than us due to their current form. Now they are four points ahead. This is really bad for us. No way that Stirling will go down either. Annan continue to do well. I still can't believe that we are just being cut adrift.