The Queen of the South thread

11 hours ago, qos1990 said:

I suspect you won’t be far away, I’ve got 7 down because I don’t think Charlie will come into consideration until January. Suspect a loan may came in and he may got get some game time. Also think Hutchison will return down south which will hopefully get us another striker in. 

I think we need to sign a few players who are quite versatile next. I wouldn’t mind Kilsby back as he can play centre half/left back and was decent under Murphy last year. Think Galloway would be another decent option who can play down the right hand side of the park. I’d be trying to get Gibson and Connelly to re-sign as well.

Are you suggesting Stewart was signed to be a back up keeper?

13 hours ago, qos1990 said:

I suspect you won’t be far away, I’ve got 7 down because I don’t think Charlie will come into consideration until January. Suspect a loan may came in and he may got get some game time. Also think Hutchison will return down south which will hopefully get us another striker in. 

I suspect you will be right. Would rather keep him than that useless lump Doherty. Good to see if someone would take McKechnie off our hands too as he was really disappointing in the second half of last year. Really important we get Lee and Gibson signed up. That would put us in good shape. Still need effective wide players, a goal scorer, another centre back, right back and I think you are on the money we will end up with a loan keeper til Cowie is back. 

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

How was McGuffie for you boys last season?

Difficult to judge a lot of players from last season with Bartley being in charge, didnt really get a settled run of games not helped by picking up a couple of injuries. Personally thought McGuffie did ok in the games he played, would have been happy if he'd stayed.  Falkirk fans told us when he signed, he'll score the odd cracking goal but do little else, a bit harsh imo, looks a hard worker and if played right and regularly could score/assist with a few goals.

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Difficult to judge a lot of players from last season with Bartley being in charge, didnt really get a settled run of games not helped by picking up a couple of injuries. Personally thought McGuffie did ok in the games he played, would have been happy if he'd stayed.  Falkirk fans told us when he signed, he'll score the odd cracking goal but do little else, a bit harsh imo, looks a hard worker and if played right and regularly could score/assist with a few goals.

Well hopefully we can do the same with him as we done with Ruth and give him a run of games and get him firing. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Thought McGuffie was a good technical player, retained possession well and certainly capable of cracking strikes now and again. Posted missing a few times in games but that could have been down to our wonderful manager more than the player. Should do a job for you.

8 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Thought McGuffie was a good technical player, retained possession well and certainly capable of cracking strikes now and again. Posted missing a few times in games but that could have been down to our wonderful manager more than the player. Should do a job for you.

Didn’t do it for me. Odd spark of skill but too small. Injured too often and seldom imposed himself on the game. A vanity addition to any squad. Much happier with Murphy’s recruitment on paper. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He’s technically very good, just finding a role for him. I think best shout is the number 10. He’s too slow for out wide, but hes a clever player, a run of games will help him no end 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Well hopefully we can do the same with him as we done with Ruth and give him a run of games and get him firing. 

He's pretty much a cert to score at least one of his 2 wonder goals per season at Palmerston.

1 minute ago, Mulberryblue said:

Anybody else feeling more confident for the upcoming season. 

It'll depend who our next striker is and what loan GK we can get in...

Starting to feel like I did this time last year, which is a worry.  However information from the Board is more positive than it has been for years. I know talk is easy but I've got the feeling that there will be a more positive outcome to the season ahead...now where did I put the Kalms?

The biggest reason to be positive the now is that I don't think there's a side in the league who will be expected to run away with it. Caley would have been runaway favourites if not for their current predicament but I expect they'll just be happy fielding a team at this moment in time. After the recruiting is done we'll have a better idea of who could be where but it should be a good division this year and I think there could he a few teams sitting top throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The biggest reason to be positive the now is that I don't think there's a side in the league who will be expected to run away with it. Caley would have been runaway favourites if not for their current predicament but I expect they'll just be happy fielding a team at this moment in time. After the recruiting is done we'll have a better idea of who could be where but it should be a good division this year and I think there could he a few teams sitting top throughout the season. 

I think if we get a a goal scorer in and our keeper isnt a total clown then we have as good a chance as anyone. As you say ICT now in cash trouble, Arbroath no better than us ( although I fear Gallagher and Reilly will score for fun), Cove can’t be as bad as last year and have backing but generally we have recruited better with a bigger and stronger team. Of course we haven’t played a game under the Murphy regime yet but they have made all the right moves so far. In terms of communications from the powers that be, it’s the best I’ve seen in my 53 years watching Queens and they deserve credit for that as greater fan engagement will hopefully lead to more interest and bigger attendances. I’m optimistic but as many others have said I was super excited last close season after the good form we showed in the second half of the previous season. Fingers crossed this year that it’s really a new dawn. 

I'm pretty sure when the Hewitson regime took over that communications between Board and fans was pretty good, with SLO's eventually coming in to supposedly form a link.  Marc Blount also put out some useful and fairly regular updates. As the years past however communications became less and less, updates from the Board stopped ( for whatever reason) and the SLO committee stood down.  In short, I'm not getting too carried away just yet that our "new broom" on the Board seems to be more open and ready about giving updates, however welcome and informative they are, but I hope it remains a regular thing and doesn't just fade away like it has tended to in the past.