The Queen of the South thread

Yes I have seen them.

The Steedman brothers moved E Stirlingshire from Falkirk to Clydebank and merged them with the local juniors hence the name.

This set up lasted only one year 'till the Shire fans won a court order to move their club back to Falkirk.

This left the now no longer junior Clydebank in a bit of a limbo.

They played in the reserve league for a year or two until the demise of Thirds whose place they eventually took.

We then had both Clydebank and East Stirlingshire as league clubs.

I'm not sure without checking but I think there have been three separate Clydebanks over the years since league football began.

We played a passing game last season and I don't remember anybody complaining, but they probably did.

I agree you need patience, but the fans also need to see some form of end product. There have been games this season where we have had loads of possession and created next to nothing. Some of that has been due to the way some teams set up against us, but a lot of it is due to the slow way that we play now. When a team loses possession against us, we don't break forward at pace, it is all slow and delberate, giving the opposition plenty of time to regroup.

Yes we did play a better passing game last season but it was done faster with more movement off the ball by players looking to get return passes and move it up the park, not slow, square or backwards like a lot of this season's fayre. A lot of that could be down to the difference in opposition to last season and the way they are set up, as you say, or more likely the Managers tactics. I admit to being the type who likes to see the ball get forward into the opposition's penalty area as quickly and as often as possible, whether that be by route 1 or by a fast passing movement, whichever play is on at the time and there's no harm in having the option to vary the approach. At the moment we are lumping high balls up to Reilly, who is not a ball winner in the air, or Lyle, who is slightly better in the air but would still come off worst on average against a big defender, and possession is lost. A big target man does not necessarily mean a battering ram but it would give opposition defenders a harder time than they have at present when high balls are played in.

Yes we did play a better passing game last season but it was done faster with more movement off the ball by players looking to get return passes and move it up the park, not slow, square or backwards like a lot of this season's fayre. A lot of that could be down to the difference in opposition to last season and the way they are set up, as you say, or more likely the Managers tactics. I admit to being the type who likes to see the ball get forward into the opposition's penalty area as quickly and as often as possible, whether that be by route 1 or by a fast passing movement, whichever play is on at the time and there's no harm in having the option to vary the approach. At the moment we are lumping high balls up to Reilly, who is not a ball winner in the air, or Lyle, who is slightly better in the air but would still come off worst on average against a big defender, and possession is lost. A big target man does not necessarily mean a battering ram but it would give opposition defenders a harder time than they have at present when high balls are played in.

Spot on . A lot of guff said on here about long balls and they being as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. A varied approach is always the best . A perfect long ball, controlled or flicked onto a runner by an able forward , takes a lot less time to happen than a passing move and is hence more likely to catch an opposition defence out . A fair bit of skill involved in this as well .Mix and match , whatever suits and keep the other mob guessing and on their toes. Lyle has good technique and a heck of a spring on him but is just not tall enough against your usual giant centre half. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Spot on . A lot of guff said on here about long balls and they being as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. A varied approach is always the best . A perfect long ball, controlled or flicked onto a runner by an able forward , takes a lot less time to happen than a passing move and is hence more likely to catch an opposition defence out . A fair bit of skill involved in this as well .Mix and match , whatever suits and keep the other mob guessing and on their toes. Lyle has good technique and a heck of a spring on him but is just not tall enough against your usual giant centre half.

Indeed. You only have to look around the top clubs in the world to see how popular a target man is in modern football.

Although I agree a target man isn't the answer, I agree completely with JR that we need to adopt a more direct style.

I wouldnt necessarily disagree, but it depends what you mean by direct. If you mean we should counter quicker and take more chances and play with a higher tempo in the final third, then I agree

Cannot believe people on here are looking for a big target man. They are few and far between and a big difference betwenn playing one and him being effective. Short memories - remember Derek Holmes.

Agree playing ball on ground is way to go but all too often as few have mentioned we play square o worse backwards and a promising attack peters out with ball back with defenders. Yes we have retained ball but you have to take a chance. I also feel we don't hit ball first time or quick enough in and around the box and taking a touch is more important. Dobbie was excellent at hitting the ball early

Wrong, Willie, no team replaced Third Lanark until Livingston/Meadowbank/Ferranti got into the League in 1974

Would beg to differ.

ES Clydebank played for one season 64/65 after which Shire moved back to Falkirk for 65/66.

Clydebank then played in the reserve league for a couple of years.

Third Lanark went out of business at the end of 66/67 and Clydebank were elected and played the 67/68 season.

Ferranti had one good cup run in the early 70's including a game against Partick at Firhill which I was at with a Thistle supporting mate.

About that time it was decided to bring the numbers in the old second division up to 20 and despite much better claims from Highland League clubs Ferranti were elected. They were essentially just a works team with no fans and so had to change their name and move ground to Meadowbank.

Queens were one of many who voted for them citing easier travel as a reason. Pretty shameful really imo.

Indeed. You only have to look around the top clubs in the world to see how popular a target man is in modern football.

Jesus , what is it with people on here . I repeat once , repeat twice and again that it would be handy to have someone tall and decent in the air . Now , this does not mean I am advocating getting a Holmer mark 2 and punting every single ball we have to him . This would mean having an outlet or a plan B. One good long ball can achieve the same as a multiple passing move but get there far quicker . I don't know how many have noticed but we play in the Scottish Championship not the EPL. We are not likely often to see a fifteen pass move started from our full back worked all the way into our opponents box. Brannigan's problem was that he used Holmes exclusively but I am not suggesting that . Clark was very decent in the air and we could do with another striker with some ariel ability. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG