The Queen of the South thread

Whit???? You have to go back a good few years to find a time when they weren't a bigger draw than Queens. Jesus Aitch, they are a bigger draw than everyone in this league other than the big three.

I don't think there's any disdain shown towards QotS. Where exactly do you think you were expecting to finish last season? Ahead of Dundee with revenue and attendances far in excess of double what you could muster? Ahead of a Hamilton side awash with the kind of revenue unknown at this level of Scottish football? Or maybe Falkirk who even with a turgid four years behind them, still saw crowds 70% higher than yours (as well as significant transfer revenues). You fully punched your weight last season, and bettered those with similar attendances, and the one that always overspends.

Now, for one year only, the revenue differences have all but disappeared, and you're welcome to indulge in a wee splattercash season if you so choose. But if you are genuinely "surprised" that Ross County are currently a bigger draw than QotS, you have to have been sleep walking your way around Scottish football for a good few years.

This mostly. I'm not convinced that County are over the piece particularly a bigger "club" than us but they are clearly currently so and realistically they are hugely better off financially and a Premiership team, something we probably won't realistically achieve within the next two years. Given the average tenure of a football manager these days it would be bizarre not to take it unless the geography was an issue in terms of moving. Given McIntyre was willing to move to Bristol to further his career before he joined us that was never going to be a factor.

Think u only need to look at results at St Mirren since his sacking to see he wasn't doing too bad a job at a much bigger club than ours. Would take him in a heartbeat if available.

They weren't much better when he was there, they won a cup but apart from that their league performance was disappointing . He gets off with poor results because he has a "philosophy"

I wouldn't be upset with Fowler but it might have came too early for him in terms of his development as a coach.

I'm not sure who we'd get, anyone but Jimmy Calderwood really.

It's a good time to lose your manager in a strange way. QotS should have no problems at all surviving relegation and despite the strong start, no-one expects the club to challenge for promotion and there is absolutely zero pressure to even finish in the play-offs. It gives the club a chance to look ahead to next season when there will be a bit more expectation on the club to challenge.

That being said, the names on the list look terrifying. Paul Sheerin started brightly at Arbroath but it ended miserably and Colin Cameron would be a decent shout. Other than that the options seems either outdated managers looking for work or unrealistic prospects. Then you're left with the Gary Locke's and Danny Lennon's.

It's a good time to lose your manager in a strange way. QotS should have no problems at all surviving relegation and despite the strong start, no-one expects the club to challenge for promotion and there is absolutely zero pressure to even finish in the play-offs. It gives the club a chance to look ahead to next season when there will be a bit more expectation on the club to challenge.

That's a good summary. I would probably sacrifice a playoff chance this season if it meant we brought in someone who tried a system that didn't kick in until next season. Meaning I'd rather we brought in a fresh face looking to build a team for next season and trying out some new things this season as an entire pre-season if you like. Give me a newby over the old dogs on that list! Would take Robson and Wilson over the likes of Calderwood and Moore eg.

Guest Back Post Misses

This mostly. I'm not convinced that County are over the piece particularly a bigger "club" than us but they are clearly currently so and realistically they are hugely better off financially and a Premiership team, something we probably won't realistically achieve within the next two years. Given the average tenure of a football manager these days it would be bizarre not to take it unless the geography was an issue in terms of moving. Given McIntyre was willing to move to Bristol to further his career before he joined us that was never going to be a factor.

They are a club spending 120% of turnover on wages subsidised by a guy worth north of £500m.

When he gets bored you may get closer to them, eh and for that matter so may we.

I actually think this is the best season to make the playoffs. If we think hearts hibs and rangers are going to be the three sides finishing 1,2,3 in whatever order you want. You are guarenteed two big gates maybe four big gates and the outside possibility of 6 big gates on top of already getting 6 games out of them. With the squad and start we have made, 4th or atleast heavily challenging for that spot is the minimum I am expecting from this season.

Cowden til i die, on 09 Sept 2014 - 14:41, said:

Why on earth would Cameron be a decent shout but Danny Lennon wouldn't be? You also seem to be placing Lennon and Locke in the same bracket - when the reality is they are anything but similar.

You're right, I'd rather Locke over Lennon.

Think u only need to look at results at St Mirren since his sacking to see he wasn't doing too bad a job at a much bigger club than ours. Would take him in a heartbeat if available.

Interesting so st mirren are a much bigger club than queens...yet you point blank refused to accept falkirk were a much bigger club than queens despite us having a bigger average than st mirren every season we were in the premier...interesting logic

I actually think this is the best season to make the playoffs. If we think hearts hibs and rangers are going to be the three sides finishing 1,2,3 in whatever order you want. You are guarenteed two big gates maybe four big gates and the outside possibility of 6 big gates on top of already getting 6 games out of them. With the squad and start we have made, 4th or atleast heavily challenging for that spot is the minimum I am expecting from this season.

You are only guaranteed one big gate and any more than that would require you to knock one of them out. And even that gate the League take half the proceeds of. The playoffs are not shared gates. Home team keeps half of their gate with the other half going to the League.

Whit???? You have to go back a good few years to find a time when they weren't a bigger draw than Queens. Jesus Aitch, they are a bigger draw than everyone in this league other than the big three.

I don't think there's any disdain shown towards QotS. Where exactly do you think you were expecting to finish last season? Ahead of Dundee with revenue and attendances far in excess of double what you could muster? Ahead of a Hamilton side awash with the kind of revenue unknown at this level of Scottish football? Or maybe Falkirk who even with a turgid four years behind them, still saw crowds 70% higher than yours (as well as significant transfer revenues). You fully punched your weight last season, and bettered those with similar attendances, and the one that always overspends.

Now, for one year only, the revenue differences have all but disappeared, and you're welcome to indulge in a wee splattercash season if you so choose. But if you are genuinely "surprised" that Ross County are currently a bigger draw than QotS, you have to have been sleep walking your way around Scottish football for a good few years.

I'm well aware County are a bigger team than us. It's just a disappointing reality that has been hammered home by today's news. Geography alone means we don't usually lose staff to County though so I suppose that is were the surprise aspect comes into it. That and the fact normally you have to be excelling at your job to earn a step up, whereas McIntyre was simply performing adequately. Unless I missed the rumour mill going into overdrive during the weekend there was absolutely no suggestion that McIntyre was being linked with the job prior to me leaving for Germany on Friday night. I can't recall any great concern from our supporters during the Summer either that he was going to be in demand. I don't think I'm alone in being surprised by this appointment.

I would approach Gary Locke straight away and get his feelings for job.

Sounds like a Lord Percy Blackadder sketch.

"Gary, we need a new manager, ideally someone cheap and out of work..."

"Yes m'lord...??"

"Can you think of anyone?"

So.

Any Queens fans sorry to see Jim and Billy come to us?

Really don't know that much about him as a manager TBH......

On balance disappointed that McIntyre has left. Poor start last season but has done pretty well since then in my view.

Decent start to this season especially considering the number of injured players in the squad thus far.