The Queen of the South thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-34946181?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Interesting developments even if I refuse to believe anything until it actually happens, hopefully more details emerge but on the face of it looks like a terrific deal for Queens.

Edited by Sloop John B

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-34946181?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Interesting developments even if I refuse to believe anything until it actually happens, hopefully more details emerge but on the face of it looks like a terrific deal for Queens.

I agree it looks an excellent deal IF it happens!

Hopefully it doesn't end up being another one of the stories that never turn into reality!

I agree it looks an excellent deal IF it happens!

Hopefully it doesn't end up being another one of the stories that never turn into reality!

Yes, there have been a few angles now on how our new main stand might be coming into existence.

Nobody can be too convinced by this for a while yet.

I wonder what will happen first - the £200m redevelopment or the tidal barrage in the Solway...

FWIW - and assuming there's some degree of concrete in today's announcement - then I would like to think that the second of the two new stands planned would be at the Terregles Street end. The Summerville End should be given listed status and preserved for as long as it's viable, IMO.

Obviously I'm as skeptical as everyone else about these latest plans, but there's no harm in discussing our hypothetical wishes for a redeveloped Palmerston.

Clearly the area that needs the most work is the main stand. For me aesthetically a stand as close as identical to the other one would be the best option, but that isn't viable for a number of reasons. As the stand has to include the two dressing rooms, corporate/hospitality facilities and whatever else it is going to need to be quite sizeable. Presumably the people who have season tickets in that stand do so because they prefer the raised vantage point as well, so with this in mind perhaps a two tier stand would be a good idea?

Although I don't want us to lose the Portland Drive terrace, I wouldn't be against it being replaced with a more modern terrace, and perhaps made a bit smaller.

I was completely in favour of the re-opening of the Terregles Street terrace and increasing the capacity to the 9000 mark, particularly due to Hearts, Hibs and Rangers being in the same league. Longer term though I'd be keen for us to lower the capacity back to the 6000 mark or perhaps even less. We shouldn't be basing a decision on capacity on how much we can make in a one off "box office" game but on how many turn up on a regular basis. I'd much rather a realistic size ground that is quite full most weeks, than a red herring 10,000 seater soulless ghost town.

Any shortfall that arises from this would be recouped by the additional commercial opportunities a remodeled Palmerston would provide. I can't see it being very much of a loss anyway as we aren't guaranteed a "big team" visiting Palmerston every year, and as recent matches against Rangers have shown, the novelty of "big teams" coming to Palmerston is wearing off for the part-timers.

Obviously I'm as skeptical as everyone else about these latest plans, but there's no harm in discussing our hypothetical wishes for a redeveloped Palmerston.

Clearly the area that needs the most work is the main stand. For me aesthetically a stand as close as identical to the other one would be the best option, but that isn't viable for a number of reasons. As the stand has to include the two dressing rooms, corporate/hospitality facilities and whatever else it is going to need to be quite sizeable. Presumably the people who have season tickets in that stand do so because they prefer the raised vantage point as well, so with this in mind perhaps a two tier stand would be a good idea?

Although I don't want us to lose the Portland Drive terrace, I wouldn't be against it being replaced with a more modern terrace, and perhaps made a bit smaller.

I was completely in favour of the re-opening of the Terregles Street terrace and increasing the capacity to the 9000 mark, particularly due to Hearts, Hibs and Rangers being in the same league. Longer term though I'd be keen for us to lower the capacity back to the 6000 mark or perhaps even less. We shouldn't be basing a decision on capacity on how much we can make in a one off "box office" game but on how many turn up on a regular basis. I'd much rather a realistic size ground that is quite full most weeks, than a red herring 10,000 seater soulless ghost town.

Any shortfall that arises from this would be recouped by the additional commercial opportunities a remodeled Palmerston would provide. I can't see it being very much of a loss anyway as we aren't guaranteed a "big team" visiting Palmerston every year, and as recent matches against Rangers have shown, the novelty of "big teams" coming to Palmerston is wearing off for the part-timers.

I won't be happy unless I get a seat in an identical spot to the one I have now :lol:

My cousin was a Middlesbrough season ticket holder when they built the Riverside. They had a computer program where you could see the view from any seat in the new stadium and pick which one you wanted before it was built. I'm expecting the same from Queens.

As interesting as this announcement is I think there's a long way to go before anything comes of it.

I won't be happy unless I get a seat in an identical spot to the one I have now :lol:

My cousin was a Middlesbrough season ticket holder when they built the Riverside. They had a computer program where you could see the view from any seat in the new stadium and pick which one you wanted before it was built. I'm expecting the same from Queens.

As interesting as this announcement is I think there's a long way to go before anything comes of it.

Going by your posts may I suggest a move to a seat with a better view of the action... :whistle

I'm very much in agreement with your last sentence though.

Fair enough.

Allowing for natural cynicism and an assumption that this won't actually happen, this is what I'd like if it did:

A new main stand that's a bit bigger than what we have in that it runs for more of the length of the pitch. As a regular there, I do like its current elevation and would therefore like something along Hamilton lines, rather than something like our new stand. It probably wouldn't need to be as big though.

Like others, I'd leave our covered end well alone and instead want something tight and compact at Terregles Street. There's now no need for seats, so a nice covered terracing like the home end at Stranraer would give away fans an option and help them create some atmosphere.

Those things would improve our already terrific ground.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Fair enough. Allowing for natural cynicism and an assumption that this won't actually happen, this is what I'd like if it did: A new main stand that's a bit bigger than what we have in that it runs for more of the length of the pitch. As a regular there, I do like its current elevation and would therefore like something along Hamilton lines, rather than something like our new stand. It probably wouldn't need to be as big though. Like others, I'd leave our covered end well alone and instead want something tight and compact at Terregles Street. There's now no need for seats, so a nice covered retracing like the home end at Stranraer would give away fans an option and help them create some atmosphere. Those things would improve our already terrific ground.

Pretty much agree. I like the elevation in the main stand.

Despite having one of the most attractive Championship leagues ever over past couple of seasons our hardcore support is now down to a paltry 1500 (and falling). Even last season when we had arguably one of our best teams in recent history our home crowds were extremely poor.

Every football supporter wants their team to have the best ground that it can afford but in all honesty i cannot see how a major cash spend can be justified given the apathy that exists in Dumfries for QOS.

Fair enough.

Allowing for natural cynicism and an assumption that this won't actually happen, this is what I'd like if it did:

A new main stand that's a bit bigger than what we have in that it runs for more of the length of the pitch. As a regular there, I do like its current elevation and would therefore like something along Hamilton lines, rather than something like our new stand. It probably wouldn't need to be as big though.

Like others, I'd leave our covered end well alone and instead want something tight and compact at Terregles Street. There's now no need for seats, so a nice covered terracing like the home end at Stranraer would give away fans an option and help them create some atmosphere.

Those things would improve our already terrific ground.

A new main stand the same as Stranraer's Main Stand but longer would be ideal and would be similar in design to our existing East Stand. The house between Terregles Street and the Main stand might prove to be a stumbling block thought when looking to increase the length of it although I did hear that Queens own the house?! SD can you confirm the position of said house please?

Regarding the proposed roof over the Terregles end - I would like to see a cantilevered design which offers unrestricted viewing as apposed to a cow shed type cover with supporting pillars. After all this is the 21st century and we need to think longer term incase the club ever decide to seat that end.

Is there any sort of time frame to when/if goes ahead. It's only good and welcome news if it goes ahead

No. Yesterdays announcement seems to be just an outline of the plans

Despite having one of the most attractive Championship leagues ever over past couple of seasons our hardcore support is now down to a paltry 1500 (and falling). Even last season when we had arguably one of our best teams in recent history our home crowds were extremely poor.

Every football supporter wants their team to have the best ground that it can afford but in all honesty i cannot see how a major cash spend can be justified given the apathy that exists in Dumfries for QOS.

Thats a fair point. However, this money is being touted as an investment. Usually, investors expect a return on their money. Without any specifics on where the money is coming from, what conditions are attached etc its kind of hard to know if what you say is true

A new main stand the same as Stranraer's Main Stand but longer would be ideal and would be similar in design to our existing East Stand. The house between Terregles Street and the Main stand might prove to be a stumbling block thought when looking to increase the length of it although I did hear that Queens own the house?! SD can you confirm the position of said house please?

Regarding the proposed roof over the Terregles end - I would like to see a cantilevered design which offers unrestricted viewing as apposed to a cow shed type cover with supporting pillars. After all this is the 21st century and we need to think longer term incase the club ever decide to seat that end.

The length of the main stand could be increased towards the Portland Road terrace. It would have a slightly odd lopsided look though

post-42731-14489653148759_thumb.jpg

Hopefully one day we may have a converted terrace like this at the Terregles Street end albeit on a smaller scale. It would certainly add to the character of Palmy that's for sure. Southampton managed to create this stand from an old terrace with a cut away corner, similar to our Terregles Street end, at their old The Dell ground before relocating to St Mary's.

No. Yesterdays announcement seems to be just an outline of the plans

Thats a fair point. However, this money is being touted as an investment. Usually, investors expect a return on their money. Without any specifics on where the money is coming from, what conditions are attached etc its kind of hard to know if what you say is true

The length of the main stand could be increased towards the Portland Road terrace. It would have a slightly odd lopsided look though

post-42731-14489660377129_thumb.jpg

You're right, it would look rather lopsided just like Motherwell's Main Stand does. The steel work was put in place at the time to extend the stand the full length of the pitch but it was never completed due to the close proximity of neighbouring houses just like at Palmerston!

why is the home support so low it's not as if there is a much bigger sport in the town other than the sharks and the saints. Even then they don't pull in the numbers that queens do or do they.

Without trying to ram a geography lesson in its also the biggest town in South west so not exactly competing for fans with big rival towns. Is the OF taking more than a few? Are people generally disinterested with the game I can't get my head around it?

Any thoughts anyone?