The Queen of the South thread

What's been our worst home league attendance since we came back up to the 1st Division in 2002?

Will Friday's game against Raith push it close?

Probably take 3 against Ross County at Stirling.

I wouldn't imagine tomorrow's will threaten that.

As for games which actually took place at Palmerston though, I'm not sure.

What's been our worst home league attendance since we came back up to the 1st Division in 2002?

Will Friday's game against Raith push it close?

Probably take 3 against Ross County at Stirling. I wouldn't imagine tomorrow's will threaten that. As for games which actually took place at Palmerston though, I'm not sure.

Lowest Home League attendances since 2002:

266 v Ross County 26/04/2011 (midweek and played at Stirling but technically a home game)

846 v Ross County 19/04/2011 (midweek - match abandoned)

956 v Morton 16/03/2011 (midweek)

966 v Morton 13/04/2011 (midweek)

1,102 v Cowdenbeath 23/04/2011

1,108 v Arbroath 18/03/2003 (midweek)

1,183 v Ross County 20/04/2010 (midweek - Live on Alba)

1,185 v Stirling Albion 22/02/2011 (midweek)

These are all the sub 1,200 league gates we've had in the last 13 and a bit years. Ignoring the one played at Stirling on two days notice, of the 7 games actually played at Palmerston, five were in that horrible 10/11 season at the back end where we were playing virtually every midweek, the players had all but downed tools, the Board and Kenny Brannigan weren't communicating and we went on a long winless run. The other two are a meaningless late season game against Ross County midweek live on Alba the season before and that Arbroath game I recalled which didn't quite have as low a gate as I thought I remembered.

We've only been under 1,100 three times in over 13 years but all three were actually sub 1,000 and one of them was sub 900, albeit it was abandoned so isn't technically in the record books anyway.

That Cowdenbeath game is the odd one out as it's the only one on the list to be played on a Saturday.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Lowest Home League attendances since 2002:

266 v Ross County 26/04/2011 (midweek and played at Stirling but technically a home game)

846 v Ross County 19/04/2011 (midweek - match abandoned)

956 v Morton 16/03/2011 (midweek)

966 v Morton 13/04/2011 (midweek)

1,102 v Cowdenbeath 23/04/2011

1,108 v Arbroath 18/03/2003 (midweek)

1,183 v Ross County 20/04/2010 (midweek - Live on Alba)

1,185 v Stirling Albion 22/02/2011 (midweek)

These are all the sub 1,200 league gates we've had in the last 13 and a bit years. Ignoring the one played at Stirling on two days notice, of the 7 games actually played at Palmerston, five were in that horrible 10/11 season at the back end where we were playing virtually every midweek, the players had all but downed tools, the Board and Kenny Brannigan weren't communicating and we went on a long winless run. The other two are a meaningless late season game against Ross County midweek live on Alba the season before and that Arbroath game I recalled which didn't quite have as low a gate as I thought I remembered.

We've only been under 1,100 three times in over 13 years but all three were actually sub 1,000 and one of them was sub 900, albeit it was abandoned so isn't technically in the record books anyway.

That Cowdenbeath game is the odd one out as it's the only one on the list to be played on a Saturday.

That's quite interesting. The 2011 games really were part of a perfect storm whereby we had loads of midweek games stacked up due to the harsh winter, alongside having a team going neither up nor down and a manager doing his damnedest to talk the club down and demotivate the players.

Obviously that Arbroath game was meaningless, midweek and against a small club from far away. I'm still surprised it's that low though, given that our gates that season were pretty decent as I recall.

I take it that the 846 gate was the second Ross County one that got abandoned? Was the first crowd much better?

For me the worst gate of the period is nowhere near making your table.

It's the 1700 or so we got for the midweek game against Patrick Thistle, straight after the Aberdeen semi-final.

Depressingly, the OF match on Setanta at the same time, seemed to have a huge impact.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I have absolutely no recollection of that Ross County game in Stirling. What was that all about?

Two abandonments due to power failure.

We were losing the second one at the time and Ross County were not happy. The League were pissed off too, given that it had happened twice so punished us by denying us a home game, while significantly shortening our opponent's journey. We lost in Stirling.

The last two or three months of that season lasted about eleven years.

I have absolutely no recollection of that Ross County game in Stirling. What was that all about?

Generator broke down at Palmerston causing game to be abandoned. Same again when the game was replayed.

Third attempt game was ordered to be played at Stirling.

Whether this was as punishment for Queens, to save County travelling again I really don't know

Generator broke down at Palmerston causing game to be abandoned. Same again when the game was replayed.

Whether this was as punishment for Queens, to save County travelling again I really don't know

The whole thing said so much about us that season. We were absolutely awful.

Very well described by SD above.

Ah that's right! I had completely forgotten about that. Was there not a cheer of relief in the game which we were losing? :lol:

I remember it more as hilarity. The result mattered little to us, but plenty as I recall to County, who were in relegation danger.

It just seemed so ridiculous when it happened again in the same fixture, because we'd had a couple of games in between the abandoned ones that had been completed as normal.

It was all a bit laughable and indicative of the farce that season had managed to become.

That's quite interesting. The 2011 games really were part of a perfect storm whereby we had loads of midweek games stacked up due to the harsh winter, alongside having a team going neither up nor down and a manager doing his damnedest to talk the club down and demotivate the players. Obviously that Arbroath game was meaningless, midweek and against a small club from far away. I'm still surprised it's that low though, given that our gates that season were pretty decent as I recall. I take it that the 846 gate was the second Ross County one that got abandoned? Was the first crowd much better? For me the worst gate of the period is nowhere making your table. It's the 1700 or so we got for the midweek game against Patrick Thistle, straight after the Aberdeen semi-final. Depressingly, the OF match on Setanta at the same time, seemed to have a huge impact.

Dealing with bits and pieces in order of mention:

We had 1,911 at home to St Mirren three days before that Arbroath game. Albeit that was a Saturday and had no doubt several hundred more away fans. We had 1,405 at home to Inverness the previous midweek. The Arbroath game was the third of three home games in 8 days, two of them midweek, and the other two had been 0-0 and 0-2. It does still seem a bit low considering league crowds that season on Saturdays were around the 1,800 mark typically. I don't recall it well enough to remember if weather or other tv games were a factor.

The 846 game was the 2nd abandonment yes. As I recall season tickets were not valid and a number of people chose not to pay again for a second game in a season that was already becoming an embarrassment. The first abandonment had an attendance of 1,328 back on 1st February.

The Partick gate three days after the Aberdeen semi final win was 1,702 including 220 Thistle fans.

To be pedantic there was no generator failure. On 1st Feb the power failed, floodlights went out and most of the stadium lighting too which caused safety concerns. By the time the game was rearranged a generator had been installed which was designed to power the emergency lighting for safe exits in the event of a power failure. That is exactly what it did. People saw a lot of smoke from the generator room and presumed something was on fire. It wasn't, it was the black smoke from a diesel engined generator automatically starting up and doing its job. The generator isn't capable of powering the full stadium and floodlights. You need a system costing thousands per game to do that (it was compulsory for the UEFA Cup tie).

Personally I still think the decision the league reached regarding the second replay was wrong and ended up relegating Cowdenbeath as the 3 points County got from an away game that wasn't one went a long way to saving them. If they felt we were in the wrong then they should have fined us and compensated County. The game should still have been played at Palmerston, in daylight hours if they felt it so necessary to ensure the floodlights weren't an issue. However, they reached what t hey obviously thought was the fairest compromise and made sure the game got played when it needed to so it is what it is. Personally I couldn't go so wasn't there when we played our only home league game in history somewhere other than Palmerston.

We had 1,911 at home to St Mirren three days before that Arbroath game. Albeit that was a Saturday and had no doubt several hundred more away fans. We had 1,405 at home to Inverness the previous midweek. The Arbroath game was the third of three home games in 8 days, two of them midweek, and the other two had been 0-0 and 0-2. It does still seem a bit low considering league crowds that season on Saturdays were around the 1,800 mark typically. I don't recall it well enough to remember if weather or other tv games were a factor.

That makes sense as an explanation.

Did we only average 1800 that season? I'd thought it was more. Did we get more during the following season when we reached the top for a spell? In my head, I thought we averaged around 2,300 one season, but that might be rubbish.

Out of interest, what has been our highest average over the period between 2002 and when such figures became skewed by the presence of Rangers, Hibs and Hearts?

Dealing with bits and pieces in order of mention:

The 846 game was the 2nd abandonment yes. As I recall season tickets were not valid and a number of people chose not to pay again for a second game in a season that was already becoming an embarrassment. The first abandonment had an attendance of 1,328 back on 1st February.

The Partick gate three days after the Aberdeen semi final win was 1,702 including 220 Thistle fans.

To be pedantic there was no generator failure. On 1st Feb the power failed, floodlights went out and most of the stadium lighting too which caused safety concerns. By the time the game was rearranged a generator had been installed which was designed to power the emergency lighting for safe exits in the event of a power failure. That is exactly what it did. People saw a lot of smoke from the generator room and presumed something was on fire. It wasn't, it was the black smoke from a diesel engined generator automatically starting up and doing its job. The generator isn't capable of powering the full stadium and floodlights. You need a system costing thousands per game to do that (it was compulsory for the UEFA Cup tie).

Personally I still think the decision the league reached regarding the second replay was wrong and ended up relegating Cowdenbeath as the 3 points County got from an away game that wasn't one went a long way to saving them. If they felt we were in the wrong then they should have fined us and compensated County. The game should still have been played at Palmerston, in daylight hours if they felt it so necessary to ensure the floodlights weren't an issue. However, they reached what t hey obviously thought was the fairest compromise and made sure the game got played when it needed to so it is what it is. Personally I couldn't go so wasn't there when we played our only home league game in history somewhere other than Palmerston.

I suspect Hamilton fans would have a laugh (or not) at a QOS fan talking about a club being saved from relegation by a dodgy decision by the Scottish League . :lol:

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

That makes sense as an explanation.Did we only average 1800 that season? I'd thought it was more. Did we get more during the following season when we reached the top for a spell? In my head, I thought we averaged around 2,300 one season, but that might be rubbish.Out of interest, what has been our highest average over the period between 2002 and when such figures became skewed by the presence of Rangers, Hibs and Hearts?

I didnt work out an average and it may well have been much higher than I said. I just glanced at a few Saturday crowds around that time.

I dont necessarily have averages worked out. It would take a bit of work and I am no longer at my pc. I may work it out over the weekend at some point though.

I didnt work out an average and it may well have been much higher than I said. I just glanced at a few Saturday crowds around that time.

I dont necessarily have averages worked out. It would take a bit of work and I am no longer at my pc. I may work it out over the weekend at some point though.

Cheers.

I could of course go and do it myself, but I'm a profoundly lazy person.

Have we, maybe, almost stumbled, McIntyre-esque, on a formation that suits the player?

Kidd ------ Dowie ------Higgins------Marshall

------------Hutton-------Jacobs------------------

Harris------------Millar-----------------Russell

-------------------Lyle----------------------------

I think we need the protection of Hutton and, particularly, Jacobs in front of the back four. Kidd and Marshall have the engines to get up and down the pitch from full back and Harris and Russell showed how dangerous they can be from the wide positions. I thought Millar did well when he played off Lyle, without any real defensive duties he seemed to get more involved in the game but is still capable of pressing high up the pitch or marking an opposition holding midfielder.