The Queen of the South thread

Absolutely! There's certainly a lad up front for Workington who would fit in nicely for Queens, plus any number who might be worth investigating from the Northern League in the Durham/Newcastle/Northumberland direction . . .

That sends a bit of a shiver down the spine of anyone old enough to remember the John Connolly era.

Yes it was great and we were successful but he signed a lot of utter dross from Northern Englandshire.

That sends a bit of a shiver down the spine of anyone old enough to remember the John Connolly era.

Yes it was great and we were successful but he signed a lot of utter dross from Northern Englandshire.

Connolly certainly had a high turnover in players but he also unearthed a few gems in doing so, Weatherson, Bowie, Atkinson for a start.  You sometimes have to dig through a lot of muck to find the odd gem.

Even years before the Connolly era we got some great players from the NE of England, such as Alan Ball and Mike Barker. I think every available source should be looked at for the right type of player. 

Connolly certainly had a high turnover in players but he also unearthed a few gems in doing so, Weatherson, Bowie, Atkinson for a start. You sometimes have to dig through a lot of muck to find the odd gem.

Even years before the Connolly era we got some great players from the NE of England, such as Alan Ball and Mike Barker. I think every available source should be looked at for the right type of player.

Agree entirely but still shivering here. Jarrod Suddick.

Agree entirely but still shivering here. Jarrod Suddick.

Jarrod Suddick was decent, just really unlucky with injuries.

There were some really bad signings from the north east back then, Tony Nelson though must be one of the worst players ever to play for Queens

Absolutely! There's certainly a lad up front for Workington who would fit in nicely for Queens, plus any number who might be worth investigating from the Northern League in the Durham/Newcastle/Northumberland direction . . .

Do you know much about Michael Richardson from Blyth Spartans?? A few clubs are meant to be interested in him.

Connolly's scattergun approach ultimately served us well.

However, he was aided by the fact that no transfer windows were then in operation and by the fact that we were part-time.

Anyone coming from those leagues to us now would need to pack in what they do for a living and both sides would need to commit for at least a year.

I too hope that a gem or two from that part of the world can be unearthed. The difference though is that we can no longer sift through a pile of duds to find and keep them.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Managed not to see Blyth for two or three seasons now. They lost in the play-offs having finished comfortably in second place in the NPL.

Scott Allison at Workington, whose goals helped end Blyth's season, is the forward I was thinking of, looked like he would be the right sort of partner for Lyle.

Connolly's scattergun approach ultimately served us well.

However, he was aided by the fact that no transfer windows were then in operation and by the fact that we were part-time.

Anyone coming from those leagues to us now would need to pack in what they do for a living and both sides would need to commit for at least a year.

I too hope that a gem or two from that part of the world can be unearthed. The difference though is that we can no longer sift through a pile of duds to find and keep them.

This, really. Theres no way Skelton could take the same approach as Connolly did, in order to unearth these gems. Football in general has moved on a bit too. I cant imagine there are that many players anywhere that arent already on the radar of bigger clubs.

Tony Nelson had a good preseason  :ph34r:

If no-one minds, I think I'll close this thread. It seems to have run its course in terms of discussing the management team

In the interview on Alive it sounded like Skelton might still bring in an assistant. He said JT would be involved with the first team but didnt say he was his assistant.

Baird left after Kerr.

I couldn't recall which way around. Edited by RUSTY1111

If no-one minds, I think I'll close this thread. It seems to have run its course in terms of discussing the management team

Isn't that the other thread though? This is the optimistic one where we speculate on new signings and the like . . .

Probably fair to say that we have moved on from JC's appointment when we were rock bottom and almost any signings, from anywhere, would have likely constituted an improvement. Our new manager has the basis of a decent team with the right additions and a more adventurous approach out on the pitch.

Isn't that the other thread though? This is the optimistic one where we speculate on new signings and the like . . .

Probably fair to say that we have moved on from JC's appointment when we were rock bottom and almost any signings, from anywhere, would have likely constituted an improvement. Our new manager has the basis of a decent team with the right additions and a more adventurous approach out on the pitch.

Oh yeah  :lol:

I blame Tony Nelson

Phil Nixon sends a bigger shiver down my spine, gave 100% but the worst centre half I have seen in the team since the mid seventies !!!

I quite liked Phil Nixon. He wasn't even the worst centre half in that team (that was Andy Martin).

There were much worse centre halves over the years immediately pre-Connolly (Smyth and Gillespie spring to mind). He wasn't good enough to take us forward and by comparison to Aitken and Thomson who soon became Connolly's pairing, but he wasn't that bad.

Gareth McGhie anyone or Walklate or Preen or Hogg or Atkinson not Paddy Geoff haha. For all the dross though we unearthed Peter Weatherson, Steve Bowey, Alan Gray and Paddy Atkinson. Warren Hawke wasnt bad eithr and Im sure he has played in an FA cup final before! As others have said there is no margin for error now. Remember last year we were meant to be after Jarrett Rivers. That might resurface. Would be sweet if we could form partnerships with Newcastle and teams of that ilk to get some highly rated players in on loan. Would be a good standard for them to feature at. 

Guest Flash

Listening to stigs podcast he comes across really well and has already been contacting players so here's hoping, there is no point in moaning he has been chosen to take us forward so let's get behind him and see how he gets on.

As most have acknowledged on the budgets thread, we will have the lowest budget of the full time sides and the 8th highest overall. Therefore, it would be pretty unreasonable to give Skelton a target of the promotion play offs. It would be more realistic to say that 8th is acceptable and he should only come under any pressure if we are lower than that. If we finish 7th or higher, he will have over-achieved.

I don't understand why we will have one of the lowest budgets in the league I understand that our attendances are not that big, but surely with the arena, the 11 aside pitch, the king George the fifth gym and subsequent pitches and the shops within the arena we shouldn't be doing to bad for money!