The Queen of the South thread

Current squad will definitely be 9th or 10th unfortunately. We need a few more in or we will suffer come the winter months.

I hope you're not as negative as this in your day to day life. You must be a joy to know.

We'll be fine this season, somewhere between 4th and 8th, I would think 6th or 7th. We look to be missing a left sided midfielder and probably a player of real quality in the centre of midfield that would take us up to a favourite for 4th spot.

We won't get relegated this season, I'm confident of that.

I'm in the glass half full camp. Having seen the depth of the squad at the Annan game we seem to have about 4 or 5 who can score goals this season and some decent quality down the right. Agree with might be a bit light on the left - missing Beanie- but it'd still a decent squad. I'm going for 4th place.

Just now, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Yes

i do think we need a winger but not urgently, i would give dykes more of a chance to cement his place there and see how he gets on. think him and brotherston both have potential and would rather see them two playing than bring in a loan player 

Seems to be mixed expectations for the season ahead.

Have Queens lost many players from last season and if so have they replaced them.

I think it'll be a tough season this year, certainly for us and maybe Queens too. I think ironically even though The Rangers have gone, the league will be stronger this year than last.

Was very impressed with the way we went about our business against Airdrie. First time seeing Dykes and must say I was very happy with what I saw. He offers a threat going forward and was good at his defensive duties to. With him and Anderson both being good in the air it helps us gain easy possession from goal kicks which is crucial. Pickard looks alot fitter and more effective aswell. Our style of play was pleasing on the eye

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Seems to be mixed expectations for the season ahead.

Have Queens lost many players from last season and if so have they replaced them.

I think it'll be a tough season this year, certainly for us and maybe Queens too. I think ironically even though The Rangers have gone, the league will be stronger this year than last.

We've had a few ins and outs, but nothing on the scale of the previous season.

Only Hutton and Kidd (St. Mirren and Falkirk) have moved in an upwards trajectory.  Gary Oliver has gone to Morton and will no doubt score against us, but I don't think anyone was particularly devastated by him going.  Russell and Conroy have both joined Airdrie.  Losing Russell is a blow.  We've yet to replace him with anyone for the left midfield position but the attacking options we have brought in should compensate for the goals he provided.  Conroy won't be missed, neither will Shaun Rutherford who had one substitute appearance last season.

Alex Harris and Andy Murdoch have gone back to their parent clubs after loan spells and I doubt we'll be in much of a hurry to get either back.

Overall I think we are in good shape.  The squad has a good level of experience which will be important given Skelton seems keen to give the youngsters a chance.

16 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

We've had a few ins and outs, but nothing on the scale of the previous season.

Only Hutton and Kidd (St. Mirren and Falkirk) have moved in an upwards trajectory.  Gary Oliver has gone to Morton and will no doubt score against us, but I don't think anyone was particularly devastated by him going.  Russell and Conroy have both joined Airdrie.  Losing Russell is a blow.  We've yet to replace him with anyone for the left midfield position but the attacking options we have brought in should compensate for the goals he provided.  Conroy won't be missed, neither will Shaun Rutherford who had one substitute appearance last season.

Alex Harris and Andy Murdoch have gone back to their parent clubs after loan spells and I doubt we'll be in much of a hurry to get either back.

Overall I think we are in good shape.  The squad has a good level of experience which will be important given Skelton seems keen to give the youngsters a chance.

Its probably also worth noting  that we've improved our keeper (in my opinion anyway) and, hopefully, will get a full season out of Tapping and Hilson who were big misses last season.

2 hours ago, football maniac said:

No trialists involved for us as far as I know. It was the 20's squad including Jack Brannan from the 1st team squad. A fine 2-0 win featuring a goal of the season candidate for Connor Murray I'm told but I haven't seen it for myself yet.

47 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

You wouldn't have Alex Harris back? I'd have him back with no hesitation. He had a better assists to minutes on the pitch total last season than anyone in Scottish football. Unfortunately for us though he appears to be very much in Lennon's plans at Hibs having been on the bench for both European games. He got on in the 1st leg, haven't checked to see if he did last night or not.

Murdoch got less of an opportunity but he did well enough when asked and I wouldn't mind him back. I believe he's on trial with an English club though.

You wouldn't have Alex Harris back? I'd have him back with no hesitation. He had a better assists to minutes on the pitch total last season than anyone in Scottish football. Unfortunately for us though he appears to be very much in Lennon's plans at Hibs having been on the bench for both European games. He got on in the 1st leg, haven't checked to see if he did last night or not.

Murdoch got less of an opportunity but he did well enough when asked and I wouldn't mind him back. I believe he's on trial with an English club though.

Harris showed his potential in bursts and although I would have liked to have seen him given more opportunities last season I don't think he was especially hard done to by not featuring more.

Given our shortage of wide men I'd take him back. Better the devil you know and all that. I was speaking more generally though in that there hasn't been much clamour from our fans to see him back, and no suggestion from the manager that he's interested in him.

If he's on the fringes of the Hibs team then it's a moot point anyway.

Guest Flash
3 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

In terms of numbers, we have lost 8 outfield players (not including Fowler who didn't play anyway) and we have signed 4 so far.

Information available on page 1 of the summer window thread.

35 minutes ago, Flash said:

In terms of numbers, we have lost 8 outfield players (not including Fowler who didn't play anyway) and we have signed 4 so far.

Information available on page 1 of the summer window thread.

In terms of numbers the post you refer to shows 5 in, not 4. (Rigg, Hamill, Dykes, Anderson and Robinson). I appreciate that includes an extra keeper though so you may not have counted that deliberately.

Eight out is effectively 7 out given the 8 includes Shaun Rutherford who played 2 minutes of football for us last season. It also includes a couple of loan players and if they are going to be replaced, with the odd exception, loan deals tend to happen nearer the end of August than July.