The Queen of the South thread

Was looking at the top goal scorers in the Championship, in its current Playoff format. The top 5 are

Jason Cummings 55 - now in English football

Derek Lyle 51 - now at Peterhead

John Baird 48 - plays at Forfar

James Keatings 41

Nicky Clark 39

Stephen Dobbie sits on 37.

A 19 goal haul this season, which is not unreasonable considering his previous two seasons,  would see him overtake the top 3 and as he will be chasing golden boot again this season, could see him overtake Keatings and Clark and anyone else not mentioned. Former Queens player Gavin Reilly has 37 also.  

13 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

My recollection is that, without going into our history in detail, we have a pretty good record in opening games.

I think it was actually a pretty horrendous record until recently.  I think we'd only won once in something close to twenty years until maybe four or five years ago, since when it's been much improved.

I might be havering, but that's my recollection and checking is cheating.  

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it was actually a pretty horrendous record until recently.  I think we'd only won once in something close to twenty years until maybe four or five years ago, since when it's been much improved.

I recall there was some comment a good few years ago about how awful our opening day results were. It might even have been prior to us being promoted in 2002.

16 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The last time we were beaten on opening day was 10/11 away at Dundee. Just had a wee look there.

Indeed. Also had a quick check. Went as far back as 1998. In the period from 1998 to 2011 I reckon we had 1 opening day victory (Clyde at home in 2002) and something like 8 defeats and 5 draws. That`s an awful record.  It could be even worse as I didn`t check any further back.

Since that opening day defeat in 2010 at Dundee we`ve had 5 wins and 2 draws in the opening day fixtures.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it was a poor record of opening day wins. In recent years we have benefitted from some relatively easy first games, like last season being at home to Brechin. The record at this level since the last defeat in 2010 is

2011 Draw at Livi, 2012 seaside league, 2013 Beat Dundee at home, 2014 Beat Alloa at home, 2015 Beat Alloa at home, 2016 Drew with Dundee U away, 2017 Beat Brechin at home.

So 3 of the 4 opening day wins at this level since 2010 have been at home against part-time opponents. Somebody might know when we last won an opening day fixture away from home at this level. And the last away one against full-time opponents, if different.

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think it was a poor record of opening day wins. In recent years we have benefitted from some relatively easy first games, like last season being at home to Brechin. The record at this level since the last defeat in 2010 is

2011 Draw at Livi, 2012 seaside league, 2013 Beat Dundee at home, 2014 Beat Alloa at home, 2015 Beat Alloa at home, 2016 Drew with Dundee U away, 2017 Beat Brechin at home.

So 3 of the 4 opening day wins at this level since 2010 have been at home against part-time opponents. Somebody might know when we last won an opening day fixture away from home at this level. And the last away one against full-time opponents, if different.

By my reckoning it`s certainly more than 20 years since we won an opening day fixture away from home. As you suggest someone will know for sure.

We won 5-2 at Arbroath in 1993 (I can`t find 94-97).  As for winning away to a FT team in an opening day fixture after a quick check  I think it might be a 2-1 win away to Motherwell in 1962 :o (assuming Motherwell were FT then)

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

13 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

By my reckoning it`s certainly more than 20 years since we won an opening day fixture away from home. As you suggest someone will know for sure.

We won 5-2 at Arbroath in 1993 (I can`t find 94-97).  As for winning away to a FT team in an opening day fixture after a quick check  I think it might be a 2-1 win away to Motherwell in 1962 :o (assuming Motherwell were FT then)

I think we beat Dumbarton at home 4-1 in 1994 and then didn't win the first league game again until beating Clyde after promotion in 2002.

I have a file on opening day results at home which I started about 20 years ago because I could barely remember an opening day win. As said above we were notoriously awful on opening day for years and years until the trend switched round recently. I will have the exact records at home though it probably only runs back to when I started going.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, but I read earlier that Queens paid out the most from all the championship clubs for policing costs last season.

It surely can't be more expensive to police average home crowds of 1500 as compared with say DUFC, Pars, Falkirk unless of course the Flying Squad are being engaged?

Very impressed with the tops. Not a criticism, just an observation but I find it a bit more difficult to read the names on the light patches. Our names appear more than once which is good. Quite like the different colour squares though.

The away top looks really nice in the flesh as well. That will be getting bought as well but possibly after xmas.