The Queen of the South thread

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Someone needs a word is his ear and tell him to settle down. Reminding us of the score after every goal is extremely annoying for example. 
Fully appreciate he’ll no doubt be an unpaid volunteer but his style needs to change pronto. 

Bit passive aggressive there. As you say if he is a volunteer, that approach will only succeed in getting us searching for a new announcer. 

1 hour ago, the_palmy_pie said:

Someone needs a word is his ear and tell him to settle down. Reminding us of the score after every goal is extremely annoying for example. 
Fully appreciate he’ll no doubt be an unpaid volunteer but his style needs to change pronto. 

I think the likes of giving out the score after a goal seems to be a bugbear of a few on here, myself included, but just one of a few little thing that can easily be addressed. What would you rather have, someone who does the bear minimum with announcements, no music at half time, etc, or someone who at least tries to inject a bit of life into proceedings. He's got a few flaws but just needs someone to maybe advise him of these niggles. Regards the music playlist which some seem to have an issue with, we've a wide ranging age group of fans, not everyone will like his choice, thought Tuesday nights was good, more my era, but I appreciate more modern music needs to be played as well. He's not perfect but a pleasant change from the previous guy, who I appreciate served the club well. 

10 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What would you rather have, someone who does the bear minimum with announcements, no music at half time, etc, or someone who at least tries to inject a bit of life into proceedings. 

IMG_3951.webp

15 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

He's a radio presenter who likes football but hasn't really been a regular attendee in the past, as far as I know, so the unique and sometimes cheesey style isn't a surprise. Some of it works, some of it will probably be ironed out over time.

One thing he did do the other night which I'm a massive fan of is play some music by some local bands. ONR definitely featured and I think 13 Crowes did too. This is a great idea and should be done across the country to give some exposure to local talent. Football fans don't want to hear Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj or whoever's currently in the charts 

Who is he ? Ive a message of thanks from 13 Crows.

7 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

This may be fairly old news as it happened a couple of days ago, but I've just discovered that Alloa have signed Josh Debayo.

Yup, Josh F**king Debayo!!!  

Crivvens!  🤯

Hopefully works in our favour ...

Good win up at Elgin.

We are a work in progress for me we still need more height and aggression from back to front .

Good Marv is waiting tlll we can get the right quality in not just sign anyone like Wullie did .

I take it one of the young boys will have to play centre back on Tuesday night after  the sending off.

Edited by Greenacres

Sounds as though there could well be an incoming before Tuesday. As much as I’d have liked to see the likes of young Currie get a chance, our bench is very light in numbers as it is. You also don’t want to through these youngsters under a bus, I know for EF a division below, but Austin will cause issues and pretty sure Sheppard is alright as well.

Hopefully Church will be on bench maybe get a late cameo. Not sure on how rest are recovering. The only blessing with the suspensions is the players getting a rest, especially HC who has previous for injuries. A big player now that we don’t want to be without.

1 hour ago, qos1990 said:

Sounds as though there could well be an incoming before Tuesday. As much as I’d have liked to see the likes of young Currie get a chance, our bench is very light in numbers as it is. You also don’t want to through these youngsters under a bus, I know for EF a division below, but Austin will cause issues and pretty sure Sheppard is alright as well.

Hopefully Church will be on bench maybe get a late cameo. Not sure on how rest are recovering. The only blessing with the suspensions is the players getting a rest, especially HC who has previous for injuries. A big player now that we don’t want to be without.

Really want an experienced centre half, would love Mulgrew but don’t think that would be realistic due to the wages he’d be wanting.

1 hour ago, QoS99 said:

Really want an experienced centre half, would love Mulgrew but don’t think that would be realistic due to the wages he’d be wanting.

Mulgrew would be a good signing but he  never drop down to League 1 plus we could get near even half  the wages he is on .

More likely we try and get Euan East or another young defender on loan .

Efe Armbrose is still availble a good friend of Marv  think he would give me nightmares playing out from the back.

Edited by Greenacres

1 hour ago, Alan grey said:

We are running out of centre halfs. 2 out now. Who else do we have in cover? Any of the young boys can they step up?

Going by Marvs post match interview he’s trying to get someone in before Tuesday. 

I streamed the Elgin game yesterday, and have to confess, I wasn’t as impressed by the performance as some seem to have been. Elgin are a poor side, and although Queens passed the ball around nicely at times, and looked reasonably comfortable at the back, we completely lacked a cutting edge up front. Our goal was very well taken, but we should have added to it.

Our team is absolutely diminutive, so playing out from the back is certainly the way to go, but on occasion the lack of players showing for a pass from midfield meant we sometimes went long anyway, after a couple of passes along the backline, due to lack of options. We had a lot of corners, but aimlessly floating crosses into the box, for the most part, produced very little due to our lack of aerial presence, and I was wondering why we weren’t going short more often just as Paul McKay arrived at the back post unmarked to power in a header for the second, so shows what I know.

Would have been a great goal from Lee Connelly, shame his effort came back off the crossbar. I thought Harry Cochrane looked really good once again in a more advanced midfield role, just a shame he picked up a needless booking, for what looked like dissent. Mimnaugh looked decent. The challenge for the sending off was completely unnecessary as we had a covering defender, but it wouldn’t be Queens without us making life needlessly difficult for ourselves. Elgin should have equalised soon after, somehow contriving to miss a sitter from within the six yard box, but I thought, apart from that, we looked fairly comfortable with 10. I just didn’t think we played particularly well with 11. As Bartley has stated, 4 or 5 more needed, with a decent striker (and some height in the team) a clear priority.

Edited by Frankie S

I think that is a reasonably fair summary @Frankie S. Regards being impressed, I think that I am in the camp of being much happier with how the team is being set up and the style and attitude being displayed compared to a lot of last season.

Yes, like a lot of teams, we could do with offering more goal scoring threat. Perhaps that will come through match practice with this set of players but probably it will be helped by having at least one other central striker option.

In yesterday's game, of the forward line, McKechnie looked threatening, Reilly appeared a much improved version of himself than a few months ago but McGuffie seemed to disappear after a busyish opening quarter.

The midfield was the strongest part of the team. I thought that Mimnaugh was the pick of the three, particularly wrt one of the points made above - he was the main midfield option when the defence was trying to play out from the back. He was the player who tried really hard to be available for a pass. Football is much easier when there is a simple passing option.

I think that the team is heading in the right direction but more match practice and a couple quality recruits will make a big difference.

Edited by Riviera711

Frankie/Riviera

Agree with your thoughts. I streamed the game and while we definitely deserved to win I didn’t think that we played well.Elgin were desperately lacking in quality but conditions were tricky - windy and bouncy pitch so the win was gratefully received. I thought Houston had a solid game and Mimnaugh kept up the good work from Tuesday. Connelly looked very sharp when he came on. It was worrying to see McClelland losing his composure on two occasions in quick succession when Elgin singularly failed to put him under pressure whatsoever. Needs to wise up quickly as the last thing we need is a central defender who is prone to doing daft things in the face of minimal danger.

Hopefully no slip up against East Fife and we have a fighting chance of qualifying in last game.