The Queen of the South thread

I stopped going to Palmerston for about 10 years when Davie Wilson dismantled one of the best Queens sides I had seen and brought in a lot of his "journeyman-pro" mates after one bad season.  I NEVER want to go back to this model.  I'd much rather see us letting young players learn their trade than let a bunch of 30-somethings top up their retirement funds.  Surely we should be able to give young players a chance in the 3rd tier of Scottish football?  We may have to be patient, but I do think we'll get there eventually.

Jack Brydon almost single-handedly turned our season around last year, Daniel Church was a stand-out at Alloa, it's not that long ago that Harry Cochrane was the hottest property in Scottish football and Lewis Gibson is possibly the best teenager I have ever seen Queens bring through.  They do need experience beside them to help them out, but we have Ambrose, Todd and Reilly for that.

All in all, I don't think we are all that far away from being a decent side, we still have a lot to learn, and that may mean we don't go up this season, but I think if we are patient, it won't be too long before we're challenging at the top end of The Championship again.

12 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

I stopped going to Palmerston for about 10 years when Davie Wilson dismantled one of the best Queens sides I had seen and brought in a lot of his "journeyman-pro" mates after one bad season.  I NEVER want to go back to this model.  I'd much rather see us letting young players learn their trade than let a bunch of 30-somethings top up their retirement funds.  Surely we should be able to give young players a chance in the 3rd tier of Scottish football?  We may have to be patient, but I do think we'll get there eventually.

Jack Brydon almost single-handedly turned our season around last year, Daniel Church was a stand-out at Alloa, it's not that long ago that Harry Cochrane was the hottest property in Scottish football and Lewis Gibson is possibly the best teenager I have ever seen Queens bring through.  They do need experience beside them to help them out, but we have Ambrose, Todd and Reilly for that.

All in all, I don't think we are all that far away from being a decent side, we still have a lot to learn, and that may mean we don't go up this season, but I think if we are patient, it won't be too long before we're challenging at the top end of The Championship again.

Do you think that,  Thomson, Tosh, McFarlane, McQuilken were 'journeymen'  ? They seemed to do alright !

The point is, you need a balance to the squad in terms of youth and experience. 

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Bartley revealing that Mimnaugh will be out for the rest of the season just crowns an awful weekend for us.  He's probably been our best player game for game and certainly to date has been Bartley's best signing bar Brydon in my opinion.

Ah shite. That's grim as I agree - he's been a good signing. 

10 hours ago, Trump said:

Could you do worse than get Allan Johnston back? Knows his way out of League One.

In our last visit to L1 (2012-13) we absolutely romped the league scoring over 100 goals on the way and had it won by March, but that was an unusual combination of a very talented group of players dropped into a league of limited quality (no Falkirk, Dunfermline, Accies or the like).  Our squads of last season and this season don't even remotely compare.

Can't recall which players Johnston brought in but we had the likes of a rock-solid Higgins/Durnan combination at their prime in the centre defence with the classy, talented and so sadly departed Chris Mitchell at full back along with a young home grown talent in Kevin Holt and the experience of Ryan McGuffie.  In midfield we had the fading but extremely able Derek Young supported by the work rate of Paul Burns and Stephen McKenna and with the trickery of Gibson and Carmichael up front providing the ammunition for a lethal front line of young (41 goal) Nicky Clark, Gavin Reilly (upcoming talent) and the vastly experienced Derek Lyle.  So we had an almost perfect blend of experience, strength, know-how and upcoming pacy young talent.  Sometimes these things just come together more by chance than planning.  I think at the time most of us realised it was a one-off and that we needed to enjoy it whilst it lasted.  For any aspiring manager though, that mix of player abilities isn't a bad template from which to start building a squad.

47 minutes ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Do you think that,  Thomson, Tosh, McFarlane, McQuilken were 'journeymen'  ? They seemed to do alright !

The point is, you need a balance to the squad in terms of youth and experience. 

They were signed to play in the league above the one we are playing in now.  We have Ambrose, Todd, Reilly. I think that should be enough of a blend at tier 3 level.

4 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

I didn't know that tbh you learn something new every day 😂

Yeah, often used to see the club mini-bus or the manager's car (branded) in the Asda car park when I took the wife shopping ... 😂

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Bartley revealing that Mimnaugh will be out for the rest of the season just crowns an awful weekend for us.  He's probably been our best player game for game and certainly to date has been Bartley's best signing bar Brydon in my opinion.

Reegan is up there with Brydon as Bartley best signings bad news he is out for the season .

Bartley interview is worse than last week he looks a beaten man not sure if he has a clue on how to turn things round .

Went on about players not tracking back blocking shots etc but he has signed the wrong type of player to do that .

We have far to many nice players who when the going gets tough they disappear.

Have been saying for months we need experience height and more so aggression all over the team untill we get that we are going to struggle .

I really hope for Bartley and more so us the fans he can turn this around but he must do it very quickly or things will have to change we can't play catch up again and miss out on the playoffs.

11 hours ago, Trump said:

Could you do worse than get Allan Johnston back? Knows his way out of League One.

Nah, we don't have a healthy budget and a good core of youth players to start with so he'd be useless. Some fantastic revisionism with some of our fans when it comes to AJ. For such an exciting manager I'm gobsmacked he hasn't been snapped up since stinking the place out the second time around at Palmerston. 

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Also meant to say, agree with Rjc's comments re. the AJ DOUBLE WINNING SEASON.

Exciting , attacking football - probably best I have seen in 55 years - and a great mix of youth and experience in a well balanced squad.

Anyone fancy some of that right now ?

Yes please. I'm assuming his inability to do just that in his second spell for us was just a hiccup? I'm sure it would be different if he came back now. 

Absolutely devastating news about Mimnaugh. Thought he was very good in the middle and was motm in most of the games he featured. Huge loss. 

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Here's another to get people going - Jim McIntyre !  

Took us to the play-offs and within a whisker of the Final.   

How does going out in the quarter final (effectively the first round) represent getting to within a whisker of the final?

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How does going out in the quarter final (effectively the first round) represent getting to within a whisker of the final?

Maybe he means "a whisker" in a Neil Oliver sense?

image.jpeg.e80e4e6337f88da0345ba5b8b02348f8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Biblemaster said:

Daniel Church was a stand-out at Alloa

He wasn't a stand-out at Alloa. He actually came with some very poor reviews from fans of previous clubs and struggled in his first season, although fans had sympathy for him given he had Barry Ferguson shouting at him every week for the first half of the season. He had a mixed start to last season but then had a very good couple of months or so where he excelled in particular in getting well placed crosses into the box, although he was still a bit suspect defensively. After that he spent a fair bit of time at LCB where he did ok and being injured. Has some strong attributes but you signed a work in progress rather than a stand-out. 

Based on the two games against us QoS and Cove looked like two of the weakest full-time sides I can recall. But other than Falkirk and Accies this league looks really poor. Despite your poor start the play-offs will probably still be very achievable without a massive improvement. 

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did he not just become our manager at Christmas last year?

I thought he was appointed just before the challenge cup game against Kelty last year, say in the stand, we play in this year's next round on the 14th of this month?

Maybe I've got the wrong round though.

29 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Did he not just become our manager at Christmas last year?

14 minutes ago, bod said:

I thought he was appointed just before the challenge cup game against Kelty last year, say in the stand, we play in this year's next round on the 14th of this month?

Maybe I've got the wrong round though.

He was signed January 7th* and took charge against Montrose on the 14th. The Tuesday night game in between was Kelty. 

* Don't know when he officially signed the papers but it was made clear after Livi played County that night that he was joining us. 

Edited by 19QOS19

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He was signed January 7th* and took charge against Montrose on the 14th. The Tuesday night game in between was Kelty. 

* Don't know when he officially signed the papers but it was made clear after Livi played County that night that he was joining us. 

That sounds about right.

I think Gibson was sacked just before Christmas.

This has been mentioned many times why must we be full time .

Marv even said in his interview that you can make more money part time and having a full time job.

We could pay good part time wages attract a,better quality of player who would just be as fit rather than full time boys. 

We will get nowhere trying to stay full time on the budget we have .