The Queen of the South thread

Does anyone know how the proposal to turn the old Tesco building into 3G pitches, sits with the DGHP plans to do with a new main stand and offices?

Are the two ideas compatible, or has the DGHP thing been put on hold?

I'd imagine the DGHP deal is a non starter

I'd imagine the DGHP deal is a non starter

Yes, I wonder about that.

It's not long ago though, that they were still saying it was all coming together, soon hopefully.

This Tesco business does sound a bit like a change of direction, but it would be good to be clear on it.

Don't know if this is widely known but there will be at least three artificial surfaces ( Qos, Falkirk and Hamilton ) and possibly four ( Alloa or Forfar maybe) in the First Division next season.

And there would have been another had Airdrie stayed up.

Its got to be the future for clubs at this level. Not only is it financially beneficial but I actually think it will benefit the quality of football throughout the season and, hopefully, mean attendances grow too.

Is it just me thinking this or did grass pitches in this country get really bad all of a sudden. We have always had crappy weather so what has the difference been ? Anyway, on Mr X's point about attendances , 3G pitches will help those teams concerned crowds to have a better chance of getting a Saturday game on compared to a re scheduled midweek one.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

post-19590-0-26761000-1368181265_thumb.jpost-19590-0-78871300-1368181287_thumb.j

Is it just me thinking this or did grass pitches in this country get really bad all of a sudden. We have always had crappy weather so what has the difference been ? Anyway, on Mr X's point about attendances , 3G pitches will help those teams concerned crowds to have a better chance of getting a Saturday game on compared to a re scheduled midweek one.

Naw they used to be a lot worse.

Its an interesting point. Are pitches worse, or are we just more used to seeing the immaculate pitches at the top level on tv that those in the lower leagues look worse than they were in previous years?

Whatever the reason, its obvious that clubs at this level struggle to maintain grass pitches throughout the season - presumably, the reason is financial - and artificial surfaces, of a high enough quality, will give a more consistent playing surface

Pitches are generally better now than many years ago. Many pitches used to be become very muddy and it was not unusual to see players come off the pitch covered in mud.

They are subject to a much more sophisticated maintenance regime which helps. However, some pitches suffer from a lack of sunlight particularly if there are tall stands on all sides.

Many clubs now use a pitch composed of natural grass combined with artificial fibres.

Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City, Wembley Stadium, Bristol City, Swansea, Wycombe Wanderers, Reading and Watford all have this type of pitch..

On the pitch front. Was I the only one who was a bit surprised the pitch came as a strip and not a square? I thought a square yard was a yard in each direction. I'm guessing it was rolled up in a strip just so it was easier for the punters to take away? Just glad I never prepared a casing :lol:

Summerville community centre have purchased 500 square yards as well apparently, to make a "mini-Palmerston", where will this be placed and does anyone know if it will be accessible for everyone?

Looks like we won't be winning the league next season then after Forfar's self-destruction today.

If Falkirk can keep their core together I'll be putting a cheeky punt on them.

If reconstruction goes ahead as planned then I guess 4th place is what we would be aspiring for. If we can get in a half decent striker then I reckon we could have a realistic chance of that. As things stand just now I'll predict we finish around 4th-6th. I think there will be a lot of QoS fans hoping for far better than that, but realistically the 2nd Division is pretty sh*t. Clark scored 30 odd and even Lyle hit double figures. I think they would have been far from that in the 1st. It should be an interesting season next year for us, I would love to see us continue on from last year, but realistically I think we will be more mid-table. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Why was Iain Russell released by Livi out of interest? I see he scored 15 goals this season, that's not a bad return and if QoS could snatch him up then I think we would be in with a better shout for a higher finish.

If Falkirk can keep their core together I'll be putting a cheeky punt on them.

If reconstruction goes ahead as planned then I guess 4th place is what we would be aspiring for. If we can get in a half decent striker then I reckon we could have a realistic chance of that. As things stand just now I'll predict we finish around 4th-6th. I think there will be a lot of QoS fans hoping for far better than that, but realistically the 2nd Division is pretty sh*t. Clark scored 30 odd and even Lyle hit double figures. I think they would have been far from that in the 1st. It should be an interesting season next year for us, I would love to see us continue on from last year, but realistically I think we will be more mid-table. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Why was Iain Russell released by Livi out of interest? I see he scored 15 goals this season, that's not a bad return and if QoS could snatch him up then I think we would be in with a better shout for a higher finish.

I think it'll probably be financial reasons why he left Livi.

If the new proposals get the go ahead of the top four in the First earning a play off position, then I am very confident we will be involved. Ps 19QOS19 , what do you mean " even Lyle got into double figures " ? He has scored goals throughout his senior career and should thrive on a good artificial surfaces with his touches and flicks .