The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Won’t see his likes again pull on a Queens shirt, a special special player 💙

IMG_4874.jpeg

Stunning. Get it framed. I'd buy a copy of that, or maybe a couple. Another money earner for the great man's Testimonial or for charity of his choice. 

On the game, Dobbs got the backing of a crowd he deserved. The football was secondary but the "Scotland Legends" team definitely looked fitter and were taking it more seriously than the Queens team. "Tan Man" Lyle still looks fit but I'm not advocating signing him up. Alan Martin in goal and the fans on the terrace looked to have forgave and forgot their spat and he was rightly given a warm reception which is how it should be on occasions like this. As or the PA man, agree that having a team sheet would have helped, just calling out numbers for the subs wasn't a good look, and not giving out the correct score was also bad considering he likes to do it after every goal, it shouldn't detract from the purpose of the day. Would maybe have been nice to see Faddy swapping sides for a wee bit too. I've still no idea who the Scotland "Legend" was in goal though. 

12 hours ago, rubber_duck said:

He genuinely does love the club. Well done to all involved for today, was a very good crowd all things considered. 

Dobbie being very magnanimous there (says he using a big word that he doesn't really know the meaning of but hopes it's the right one!).  He himself says his best years were 2009-12 but that Scotland had lots of good players in his position, yet it was on 8th October 2010 that Craig Levein played a Scotland team with no strikers!  As a man playing regularly at the top of the English Championship, of which Scotland had very few at the time, he was surely at least due a run out in a friendly!  To this day, I have very little interest in the Scotland National Team, and it all stems back to this time.

Reading a topic about Lewis Gibson intertwined with a topic about Stephen Dobbie seems very appropriate, the best player I've ever seen at Palmerston and the teenager with the most potential I have ever seen!  There have been at least 5 or 6 occasions when Gibson has made me feel how only Stephen Dobbie has before at Palmerston.

Having said that, you've got to remember that Gibson is only 18 and I don't think has looked 100% fit this season after missing much of pre-season.  I'd like to think that Bartley is protecting him rather than selfishly risk burning him out by playing him every week, however, I suspect, much like Craig Levein with Dobbie and Scotland, Marvin just doesn't like "flair players"!

I do think though that Marvin may have the capacity to change his way of thinking, unlike Levein!

16 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

I do think though that Marvin may have the capacity to change his way of thinking, unlike Levein!

He better do it quick then, his time, and games, are fast running out. 

7 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

I suspect, much like Craig Levein with Dobbie and Scotland, Marvin just doesn't like "flair players"!

You could have a point there.  It seems that it's all about the team and " the game plan " with Bartley and also your fitness levels.

Of course , you want your players to be as fit as possible but there will always be some who are less so than others.  Loads of examples but I will uses a balanced OF one.  Kris Boyd and John Hartson were hardly the most mobile but scored loads of important goals to contribute to their teams performance.

Closer to home and topical is one Stephen Dobbie.  I think we would all agree that first time around he wasn't at his physical peak but still contributed enormously to teams success.  

Applying Bartley's approach he would not have featured much , if at all, and may well have been moved on as a player who did not want to be here anymore !   Can you imagine that ?

Lewis Gibson has massive potential and is the type of exciting player fans want to see - we don't have them very often. It is an absolute disgrace the way Bartley has handled him. I don't buy all this injury and fitness  nonsense, he is young, talented, enthusiastic and should be encouraged not wasted away.

The way things are going right  now he will likely move on sooner rather than later and QOS fans will have been denied the opportunity to see him perform as much as they should have.  Disgraceful and another example of Bartley's poor management.

Of course he did say not long after he came in that Gibson had been playing too much and needed protecting.

I have never forgotten that and alarm bells started sounding for me at that point.

Like everyone else I was delighted yesterday proved to be such a success, with Dobbie getting the turnout he deserved from both players and fans alike.  As others have said the football at these type of affairs tends to be of little importance, but I think the choice of opposition meant there was interest in both sides for the supporters which may not have been the case if the opponents had been for example a "Rangers XI".

Based on the reaction in the ground Scott Brown was obviously the star attraction in the away side, and judging by Dobbie's interview was a key player in getting other people involved, but it was also great to see 58 year old Colin Hendry strutting his stuff and putting many of the younger players to shame with his fitness!

While it was nice to see so many ex-Queens players again, it only served as a reminder of how far the club has fallen, and how lacking in character and leadership it has been for quite some time.  Guys like Chris Higgins, who haven't even been away from the club all that long, feel like a different breed to the recent crop of charlatans.

Fair play to Alan Martin for playing, he wasn't exactly well loved during his spell with the club but got a good reception from the Portland Drive end.  I actually thought he looked in better physical condition than at any point during his playing career with Queens.  He also contributed to the occasion and gave the crowd some rare reasons to get excited by pulling off a couple of great saves, and skinning two of the Scotland team.

I wasn't going to comment on the stadium announcer as it was a light-hearted testimonial match and not that important in any sort of real life context.  But as others have brought it up I don't feel as petty in doing so.  It is just another thing to add to the ever increasing list of things that show the club up as utterly tinpot.  A professional football club in name only.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

You could have a point there.  It seems that it's all about the team and " the game plan " with Bartley and also your fitness levels.

Of course , you want your players to be as fit as possible but there will always be some who are less so than others.  Loads of examples but I will uses a balanced OF one.  Kris Boyd and John Hartson were hardly the most mobile but scored loads of important goals to contribute to their teams performance.

Closer to home and topical is one Stephen Dobbie.  I think we would all agree that first time around he wasn't at his physical peak but still contributed enormously to teams success.  

Applying Bartley's approach he would not have featured much , if at all, and may well have been moved on as a player who did not want to be here anymore !   Can you imagine that ?

Lewis Gibson has massive potential and is the type of exciting player fans want to see - we don't have them very often. It is an absolute disgrace the way Bartley has handled him. I don't buy all this injury and fitness  nonsense, he is young, talented, enthusiastic and should be encouraged not wasted away.

The way things are going right  now he will likely move on sooner rather than later and QOS fans will have been denied the opportunity to see him perform as much as they should have.  Disgraceful and another example of Bartley's poor management.

Of course he did say not long after he came in that Gibson had been playing too much and needed protecting.

I have never forgotten that and alarm bells started sounding for me at that point.

Good post that.

I get the feeling that if Bartley had peak level Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington and Charlie George in the squad he'd move them all on and use the funds generated to re-sign Dan Pybus.

15 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Won’t see his likes again pull on a Queens shirt, a special special player 💙

IMG_4874.jpeg

That’s a belter of a picture, and if I were a QOS fan I’d be getting it framed. 
My long lasting memory of Dobbie will forever be his hat trick at Cappielow when he came on as a sub and just tore us to pieces in what I remember being about 15 minutes. He probably could have achieved a bit more in his career, but it’s very rare these days to find a player to stay so loyal at one club and it’s a credit to QOS & its support for creating a connection with a player in that way. 
I hope we somehow find an equivalent one day (George Oakley would be lovely). 

27 minutes ago, Scosha said:

My long lasting memory of Dobbie will forever be his hat trick at Cappielow when he came on as a sub and just tore us to pieces in what I remember being about 15 minutes. He probably could have achieved a bit more in his career, but it’s very rare these days to find a player to stay so loyal at one club and it’s a credit to QOS & its support for creating a connection with a player in that way. 

Probably his finest hour (15 minutes) for us*. Can still remember rocking up to Cappielow that day and discovering our incompetent manager had for some reason dropped Dobbie. There was a general air of disbelief. He clearly couldn't believe it either and instantly showed Chisholm how stupid he'd been. 

* His goal against Dundee in the QF was outstanding and he did tear Falkirk to pieces as well but that hat-trick was absolute perfection. 

Some fantastic photos from yesterday's testimonial on

QosFC: Stephen Dobbie Testimonial Match Photo Gallery

Really well done to those involved. The photos capture a really special occasion brilliantly. 

Edit to add. A brilliant touch to have Ryan McCann in a number 84 shirt. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

7 hours ago, bod said:

Sir Stephen,  thanks for the memories. 

As others have said, that is one outstanding photograph, truly awesome!

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Edit to add. A brilliant touch to have Ryan McCann in a number 84 shirt. 

Aye, thought that too!  Brilliant.

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably his finest hour (15 minutes) for us*. Can still remember rocking up to Cappielow that day and discovering our incompetent manager had for some reason dropped Dobbie. There was a general air of disbelief. He clearly couldn't believe it either and instantly showed Chisholm how stupid he'd been. 

* His goal against Dundee in the QF was outstanding and he did tear Falkirk to pieces as well but that hat-trick was absolute perfection. 

Totally agree.  Everyone bangs on about McCann's 84 yard goal in that game but it was the first from Dobbie that set us on our way.  I thought his first touch and dispatch of that goal was just class, absolute class.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

Cheers @Scosha, nice post - always good to get the views of fans of other clubs on subjects like this!

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Good post that.

I get the feeling that if Bartley had peak level Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Frank Worthington and Charlie George in the squad he'd move them all on and use the funds generated to re-sign Dan Pybus.

^^^ Nailed it! 👍

2 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Good post that.

Strangely enough I was thinking along the same lines but with the likes of Grieves, Jimmy Johnstone, Baxter, Dalgliesh, Lineker, none of which were good at defending but all of who you would want in your team. Flair, forward thinking players who do their own thing and don’t follow Bartley’s instructions appear to get binned.

It’s no secret I’ve never been a fan of Bartley’s, right from the start I didn’t like the way he spoke. If you watch and listen to him, he’s so self-centred. In his interviews it’s “I told them this, they didn’t follow the game plan, he didn’t do what he was told, if he had done as I told him” Etc, etc.

The next two league games are pivotal to our season, lose either and although it would still mathematically be possible, realistically the playoff place would be gone. Results so far have shown Bartley’s not the person to take us forward to where we want to be. Get rid now or we'll be playing dead rubbers until the end of the season in front of rapidly dwindling crowds.

15 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I've heard a similar rumour about a Gibson / Bartley "difference of opinion" too which bears a lot of similarity to one doing the rounds at the end of last season when Bartley wasn't playing Wilson because, according to Bartley, Wilson wasn't fit enough and Wilson believed he was and should be playing.

I could all just be talk, of course, but if true and Bartley is leaving out important players because of behind the scenes issues it reeks of a manager being totally out of his depth desperately trying to stamp his authority on his players, and to use his favourite word, behaving extremely "unprofessionally".

I would emphasise again though that the above could all be the result of Chinese Whispers.

Gibson has been injured a few times this season but can’t help but wonder how much of his rumoured problems with Bartley is influenced by his father. 

Too many posts today from me (I know) ... but a last word on the Legend ...

For all his outstanding attributes on the pitch, one of Stephen's greatest for me is that when he's interviewed he just comes across as a really nice and humble guy, plain and simple and a real family man.  He's not from the Dumfries area and yet he's bonded so well with the club, the fans and the town and of course the feelings are mutual.  Truly, the guy is a one off and we'll not see his like at the club again.  Am I the only one who's convinced he'll manage us one day?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

For all his outstanding attributes on the pitch, one of Stephen's greatest for me is that when he's interviewed he just comes across as a really nice and humble guy, plain and simple and a real family man.  He's not from the Dumfries area and yet he's bonded so well with the club, the fans and the town and of course the feelings are mutual.  Truly, the guy is a one off and we'll not see his like at the club again.  Am I the only one who's convinced he'll manage us one day?

Nope I think you are right. My son in law asked him to do a video for a big birthday of mine. He did it without hesitation. Top bloke and probably the best player I’ve seen play for us. 

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

He made a good impression at Blackpool as Caretaker so think he will just be waiting around till their manager gets binned with the hope of getting the gig full time. Also he has two young kids still in school so can't see him being our manager unless we went down to part-time due to travelling involved.