The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Probably his finest hour (15 minutes) for us*. Can still remember rocking up to Cappielow that day and discovering our incompetent manager had for some reason dropped Dobbie. There was a general air of disbelief. He clearly couldn't believe it either and instantly showed Chisholm how stupid he'd been. 

* His goal against Dundee in the QF was outstanding and he did tear Falkirk to pieces as well but that hat-trick was absolute perfection. 

Aye, he looked like he was trying to hammer home a point to the Manager in that game. 

Indeed. I'm sure he had Tosh (our best CM for decades IMO) at RM for a few games as well. It was a team that picked itself and Chisholm still managed to make an arse of it. Clueless. 

33 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Indeed. I'm sure he had Tosh (our best CM for decades IMO) at RM for a few games as well. It was a team that picked itself and Chisholm still managed to make an arse of it. Clueless. 

Are you being ironic there or do you really think the manager who took us to the Cup Final was clueless?

4 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

Are you being ironic there or do you really think the manager who took us to the Cup Final was clueless?

I'm being deadly serious. The team picked itself and even then he struggled to get that right for large parts. Did you forget his long losing streak? 

I'd argue he massively underachieved with that squad. When talking about our greatest manager I don't think I ever hear Chisholm. Says it all really given he was in charge during our best ever spell. 

I didn't agree with every decision he made but to call him clueless is a bit harsh.  We as fans, and I include myself in this, have a habit of just thinking a manager should put his best 11 players out on the park every week and don't take "circumstances" into account i.e. is a player carrying a knock, has he got something going on in his personal life etc.

Having said that, I don't think Iain McCall got the credit he deserved for putting that team together in the first place.

PS. It's been a while since anyone actually voted in it, but Gordon Chisholm is rated Queens' Best Ever Manager on The Only Team in The Bible website!

40 minutes ago, Biblemaster said:

I didn't agree with every decision he made but to call him clueless is a bit harsh.  We as fans, and I include myself in this, have a habit of just thinking a manager should put his best 11 players out on the park every week and don't take "circumstances" into account i.e. is a player carrying a knock, has he got something going on in his personal life etc.

Having said that, I don't think Iain McCall got the credit he deserved for putting that team together in the first place.

PS. It's been a while since anyone actually voted in it, but Gordon Chisholm is rated Queens' Best Ever Manager on The Only Team in The Bible website!

Leaving out the best striker we've ever had in the two biggest games in our club's history for Stewart Kean, screams clueless to me tbh. 

I think we did well under Chisholm in spite of him not because of him. 

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Leaving out the best striker we've ever had in the two biggest games in our club's history for Stewart Kean, screams clueless to me tbh. 

I think we did well under Chisholm in spite of him not because of him. 

With 15 minutes to rescue the tie Chisholm's last throw of the dice was to bring on Scott Robertson.  For me, that kind of falls into the "clueless" category too.

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

With 15 minutes to rescue the tie Chisholm's last throw of the dice was to bring on Scott Robertson.  For me, that kind of falls into the "clueless" category too.

Great though it was move on. It was 15 years ago. Robertson was rank though. 

2 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Great though it was move on. It was 15 years ago. Robertson was rank though. 

Sorry. We'll let you get back to telling us how Bartley isn't shite. 

55 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Positive I just heard our PA guy on Alive radio. Probably explains his style of announcing. 

Ray-Von!...

How does he announce the music, by artists name or record serial number.*

*I know they don't actually use records anymore but I'm old and nostalgic. 

I wish all we had to worry about was a new PA guy.

On to the important stuff Reilly is going to be a huge miss Doherty and Hutchinson  work hard but neither has a goal threat.

Why both have 2 year deals I have no idea yet another strange decision from Bartley.

59 minutes ago, Artemis said:

You’d think if the manager of a League 1 club gives a player a two year deal, they must think they will be good enough to play in the Championship within a year. Either that, or they aren’t confident of getting promotion and they’re planning ahead for the next season in League 1. I wonder if Queens are now looking at League 1 in the same way that they used to regard the Championship - staying in it is the priority and getting to the promotion play-offs is regarded as a bit of a bonus and almost like an end in itself.

Or a third option, which is that they have no plan at all.

1 hour ago, Artemis said:

You’d think if the manager of a League 1 club gives a player a two year deal, they must think they will be good enough to play in the Championship within a year. Either that, or they aren’t confident of getting promotion and they’re planning ahead for the next season in League 1. I wonder if Queens are now looking at League 1 in the same way that they used to regard the Championship - staying in it is the priority and getting to the promotion play-offs is regarded as a bit of a bonus and almost like an end in itself.

^^^ Sadly, I think you may have hit the nail on the proverbial head there @Artemis.

7 hours ago, Brother Grimm said:

We were lucky to have got shot of Chisholm

I couldn't believe our luck when Dundee came in for him.  We even made money on it.

I've said it before - it was like getting the correct kidney removed, yet receiving compensation anyway.