The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Nope, been here quite a while now and I'd say it's still about the daftest thing I've heard suggested.

If Dan had even contemplated a delusional  offer from Queens, how the hell would the internal system work while he is not at Palmerston, an absolute fanciful discussion indeed!

Incidentally, oft-repeated phrase when reporting a manager’s dismissal is that he has left a club ‘by mutual consent’, reflecting that the parties have reached an agreement on the terms of departure, so why have Queens not looked at this privilege. Given the inevitable highly publicised dismissal of football managers, it is often in the interests of both parties to settle the claim by way of agreement rather than publicly through the courts - Surely an option for us!

While UK employment law does apply to the world of football management, do not expect to see any high-profile managers involved in an Employment Tribunal claim any time soon. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

But it still requires the cash to do the ditching now, and choosing the option that fans don't like still wouldn't actually be 'dereliction of duty' as board directors. 

Yes it does indeed (require the cash to do the ditching now) ... but it's going to cost us whichever way we go now, and it could well be a bigger cost further down the line if we end up in L2.  But as you say, that's a call that the BOD must make.

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

Think going to be a very interesting shareholders meeting on Wed. night .

The board and Marvin Bartley will surely get some difficult questions the problem is our manager talks a very good game that is what he is best at.

If only we could find a Dougie Imrie type he  has players that would run through a brick wall for him.

Don’t bet on it, maybe with HM as No 2 ?

49 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

If Dan had even contemplated a delusional  offer from Queens, how the hell would the internal system work while he is not at Palmerston, an absolute fanciful discussion indeed!

Incidentally, oft-repeated phrase when reporting a manager’s dismissal is that he has left a club ‘by mutual consent’, reflecting that the parties have reached an agreement on the terms of departure, so why have Queens not looked at this privilege. Given the inevitable highly publicised dismissal of football managers, it is often in the interests of both parties to settle the claim by way of agreement rather than publicly through the courts - Surely an option for us!

While UK employment law does apply to the world of football management, do not expect to see any high-profile managers involved in an Employment Tribunal claim any time soon. 

The whole "Dan thing" is indeed a "fanciful discussion" and is purely some blue sky thinking that someone has thrown out there as a speculative way of getting a low cost fix purely to the end of the season - given that the objectives for the season have now finally gone.  That's what these forums are about, for the fans to chuck ideas about.  Were it to go down that route I'd imagine that in practice it would be a combination of Dan plus say one or more of the senior players/coaches (eg Todd) making the decisions in the final few games.  The rationale being that the season's completely Friar Tucked as it is anyway and the interim coaching team can avoid 9th place (not a given, I know).

A manager leaving by "mutual consent" surely requires the agreement of both parties.  The club may well have had such a conversation with Bartley already, if they have I'm sure they wouldn't publicise it though unless the outcome was successful, so we will not know.  From listening to Bartley over the months, he doesn't come across to me as someone who would willingly volunteer to walk away from a years income though and he's clearly delusional enough to think that his performance to date is acceptable.  This particular ball I'd say is well and truly in the club's court.

6 hours ago, Slipmat said:

100% agree with you here, it's a real indicator of how desperate we are getting, but - and please correct me if I'm wrong - was JT not commercial manager when he took temporary charge after Skelton walked?

And look how that turned out. I was at the infamous Albion Rovers cup tie that we lost in injury time that cost us a tie with Celtic. Great player but a disastrous interim manager. Leave Dan where he is. 

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Think going to be a very interesting shareholders meeting on Wed. night .

The board and Marvin Bartley will surely get some difficult questions the problem is our manager talks a very good game that is what he is best at.

If only we could find a Dougie Imrie type he  has players that would run through a brick wall for him.

I can tell you what he will say now"... judge me at the end of the season...it's still mathematically possible to go into the play-offs...we have been unlucky and this has not been helped by individual errors."

And the board will say "The manager has our full support."

17 minutes ago, MallanandFlanagan said:

This is despite the fact that after the Stirling Albion game tonight we could be sitting third bottom. 

Lets face it, if it's not tonight it will be by 5pm on Saturday. 

11 hours ago, virginton said:

Except that in any other business, it would be a dereliction of their duties as a Board to not prioritise the financial implications of a decision. If the money isn't there to do it, it's not there. 

Yeah, i dont think we’re disagreeing here.  What I was trying to say is that if they CAN afford to sack him but are choosing not to do so (for whatever reason) thats what is arguably a dereliction of their duties as we are so feckin bad!

On another note, i noticed that Josh Rae, Darragh O’Connor, Kevin Holt, Reece McCabe, Aiden Fitzpatrick, Ian Wilson & Ruaridh Paton are all playing for their respective clubs in the championship tonight. Kind of makes you want to weep when you look at the quality of the Queens team at the moment

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well, that's us officially 8th then as we enter the fixtures against Stirling and Annan.

30th of Scotland's 42 SPFL sides.

This isn't what I had in mind when saying I'd like to relive my youth.

It’s like being back in the Harkness years but with less hope we will get out of this….

Oh for Peter Dickson, Ian Reid, John Dempster, Jimmy Robertson, Craw Boyd and Billy McLaren now….even Chopper Dickson and Ches. Comparing them to this lot is making me weep. 

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Well, that's us officially 8th then as we enter the fixtures against Stirling and Annan.

30th of Scotland's 42 SPFL sides.

This isn't what I had in mind when saying I'd like to relive my youth.

Surely this is good news. Since we play really well against the better teams in the league the more teams above us in the table the better 👍

8 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Surely this is good news. Since we play really well against the better teams in the league the more teams above us in the table the better 👍

Think About It GIF by Identity

36 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Oh for Peter Dickson, Ian Reid, John Dempster, Jimmy Robertson, Craw Boyd and Billy McLaren now….even Chopper Dickson and Ches. Comparing them to this lot is making me weep. 

I don't think we need to go back anything like that far to find comparisons that induce weeping.

47 minutes ago, the_palmy_pie said:

AGM this evening. 

Hopefully it’s more exciting than usual 😀

I wouldn’t have thought so.

It will be the usual “we are doing the best we can” line that we always get from those in charge of the club. That may well be the case, but it shouldn’t be acceptable any longer. 

If the board say they will be standing down from their positions at the end of the season, that would be a step in the right direction.