The Queen of the South thread

I've came to the conclusion that if I said to everyone it was raining outside you'd disagree and tell everyone it was sunny.

I'm in noway saying durnan isn't good enough for the 1st team all I'm saying is that he's still learning and still abit raw at times, I have no doubt he will get game time and I wouldn't stress one bit if he did but I can Definately see mcintyre's thinking if he goes for dowie and Higgins and it will be for experience. I don't think we can sit here and compare apples with lemons on the Mitchell McGuffie front as Mitchell will be used in that role for his pace and ability to get up and down with no issue so I think your being abit picky drawing that from my point. If your a football man which I assume you are then youll know where I was coming from with my point.

And we Definately don't know if the keeper isn't good enough but what I will say having played in goals in the past I know what it is like to be a young keeper playing in a new team and trying to command your area. Confidence is a major factor when coming for crosses and I have no doubt that will come in time but its time we may not have. Remember David De Gea in his first season at united?

I too know what it is like to be a young keeper in a new team. A lot of people who know nothing of the art of goalkeeping appear to be dismissing his capabilities We should remember that Calum Antell is still young, and although he has played 1st team football he is still relatively inexperienced. He also spent most of last season playing in a struggling team. Against that backdrop it is natural that he will be a little edgy, he had some good moments last night, and I for one am not blaming him for either of the goals. I am confident that he will improve steadily over the coming weeks. He needs proper coaching though, and the lack of a goalkeeper coach at Queens has long been a source of concern for me.

As regards the game itself, we can only be happy with a good performance and a 4-2 win. No real failures last night although I was not convinced by the defensive lineup. Chris Higgins is a lot of things. Full back is not one of them! We were guilty of a few sloppy moments in our backline although this was a decent St Mirren side we were playing. We won't play teams like this every week next season.

It was pleasing that this time around we turned some of our possession into goals. The team looks to be shaping up quite nicely, and I expect to see improvement here in the coming weeks as the team settles.

Seems strange that Russell who many people thought was our top signing at the time does not feature in many peoples first 11. A good player to come off the bench.

McIntyre will have to trim his squad down this weekend to a first 11 and 5 subs one of which will be the keeper. I feel there will be a few disappnted players among the squad.

I saw it mentioned that players will have names on back of shirts this season. Does this mean they get to pick a number otherwise a lot of shirts will have to be printed number 2 - 11 depending on what team is picked

I saw it mentioned that players will have names on back of shirts this season. Does this mean they get to pick a number otherwise a lot of shirts will have to be printed number 2 - 11 depending on what team is picked

No squad numbers and names for us this season. It is mandatory next season.

wonder if there is any cash left in the pot for any more signings before the league starts?

If not, we have got a very good balanced squad from what I have seen over the last couple of weeks.

A few games playing together for the 1st 11 can only improve the team.

I too know what it is like to be a young keeper in a new team. A lot of people who know nothing of the art of goalkeeping appear to be dismissing his capabilities We should remember that Calum Antell is still young, and although he has played 1st team football he is still relatively inexperienced. He also spent most of last season playing in a struggling team. Against that backdrop it is natural that he will be a little edgy, he had some good moments last night, and I for one am not blaming him for either of the goals. I am confident that he will improve steadily over the coming weeks. He needs proper coaching though, and the lack of a goalkeeper coach at Queens has long been a source of concern for me.

As regards the game itself, we can only be happy with a good performance and a 4-2 win. No real failures last night although I was not convinced by the defensive lineup. Chris Higgins is a lot of things. Full back is not one of them! We were guilty of a few sloppy moments in our backline although this was a decent St Mirren side we were playing. We won't play teams like this every week next season.

It was pleasing that this time around we turned some of our possession into goals. The team looks to be shaping up quite nicely, and I expect to see improvement here in the coming weeks as the team settles.

Who, exactly has "dismissed" Antell?

If you dont apportion just a little bit of blame for both goals to the keeper then, maybe, its you who knows nothing of the art of goalkeeping.

Seems strange that Russell who many people thought was our top signing at the time does not feature in many peoples first 11. A good player to come off the bench.

McIntyre will have to trim his squad down this weekend to a first 11 and 5 subs one of which will be the keeper. I feel there will be a few disappnted players among the squad.

It is strange, isnt it? I would have him in my starting 11, if we were playing a different formation. Im not sure he can play the lone striker role - although it would have been nice to see him get at least a run out in that position during preseason - and he isnt as good a winger as Carmichael or Paton.

For me, its the biggest downside of this formation. The other, if Lyle starts, is that it puts our two biggest goal threats on the bench. That puts a lot of pressure on Lyle to deliver the goals

Agree when it comes to keepers even more so young keepers you have to get behind them yes mistakes will be made but antell will learn from that what he needs is the support of the fans if not what will happen is a Barry John corr situation

Who, exactly has "dismissed" Antell?

If you dont apportion just a little bit of blame for both goals to the keeper then, maybe, its you who knows nothing of the art of goalkeeping.

It is strange, isnt it? I would have him in my starting 11, if we were playing a different formation. Im not sure he can play the lone striker role - although it would have been nice to see him get at least a run out in that position during preseason - and he isnt as good a winger as Carmichael or Paton.

For me, its the biggest downside of this formation. The other, if Lyle starts, is that it puts our two biggest goal threats on the bench. That puts a lot of pressure on Lyle to deliver the goals

Difficult to apportion blame to the keeper given the sloppy nature of the defending in the lead up to these. The 1st one was a case of our central defence trying out their statue impersonations. Harkins through one on one. No keeper should ever be left in this situation. It happens though. 2nd goal stemmed from possession given away cheaply. Perfectly executed lob though. As a keeper there are times when you just have to hold your hand up and say "good goal". This was one of these.

Why do people say Russell can't play the lone striker role?

I for one think its a role made for him he puts in at least 100% all the time and he scored 16 or so in this Div last season.

Has he been tried their for people to say he can't play it!!

Agree when it comes to keepers even more so young keepers you have to get behind them yes mistakes will be made but antell will learn from that what he needs is the support of the fans if not what will happen is a Barry John corr situation

I'd agree with this.

The Barry John Corr one was strange. He came with a decent pedigree, but never recovered from a couple of early mistakes. I didn't think the crowd were particularly vicious about it, but he became very damaged by what happened. I didn't think McCall was very supportive. Corr didn't react well after the Cup win over Dundee that he came back in for, but it was evidence of how much he was suffering.

I still thought he might resurrect things by moving to Ayr, but he couldn't.

Confidence is important anyway, but for 'keepers - as we've seen with Jim Leighton for instance - it's absolutely vital.

Don't get me wrong with any young player support is vital when things ain't going right but even more so with keepers as the quite often have the fans right behind them and hear every word.

So come on we know antell ain't the best keeper in Scotland but by supporting him getting his confidence up and hopefully we will reap the benefits.

Difficult to apportion blame to the keeper given the sloppy nature of the defending in the lead up to these. The 1st one was a case of our central defence trying out their statue impersonations. Harkins through one on one. No keeper should ever be left in this situation. It happens though. 2nd goal stemmed from possession given away cheaply. Perfectly executed lob though. As a keeper there are times when you just have to hold your hand up and say "good goal". This was one of these.

The defending wasnt great, I totally agree. However, he didnt really seem to put much of a challenge in on Harkins for the first and, Im sorry, but any keeper who gets chipped while standing on his 6 yard line has to shoulder, at least, some of the blame no matter how good the shot.

The Saints keeper saved two one on ones.

Why do people say Russell can't play the lone striker role?

I for one think its a role made for him he puts in at least 100% all the time and he scored 16 or so in this Div last season.

Has he been tried their for people to say he can't play it!!

I dont believe he's ever played it before in his career and we havent seen him play it in pre-season. Hes never really struck me as being particularly effective with his back to goal, holding the ball up and he isnt that great in the air.

As I said, I would have liked to see him get some time there pre-season, just to see how he did, but the fact that he didnt is a pretty clear indication he isnt going to play there, no?

It's hardly a 'lone' Striker role anyway. He'd be supported by Dan and Paton all the time, just like Lyle is at the moment.

For me though Lyle should start until Russell can score a couple of goals coming off the bench. Russell works harder than Lyle, but Lyle looks more likely to find the net when in and around the box.

It is a lone striker role because theres no other striker playing up there with him. There will be two wingers, out wide, but the central striker will be expected to hold the ball up run the central channels and close down the central defenders without another striker alongside them.

The pre-season preparations seem to have been well thought out and provided the perfect test for the players..

Starting off with closed door fitness proving run-outs followed by a local formal training session against Annan were ideal.

The choice of playing the two weakest teams in the Premiership (apart from Hibs) provided the next stiffer test and the chance to gain valuable game time on the new pitch.

The manager is doing well as are the new signings Dowie, Russell and Antell.

We have good reason to look forward to watching a good footballing team which will challenge for a playoff spot.

JM has got good options throughout the team and I am sure he will make good use of the squad.

JM has another 2 weeks to play different line ups in the 2 cup games before we face the more important game against Dundee.

He need not have a preferred line up.

He has the choice of Russell, Lyle, Reilly along with Paton and Carmichael as additional offensive players to play with.

Last season Johnston very often interchanged the strikers. Lyle and Reilly ended up with 13/14 goals apiece despite not being regular starters.

15 goals each from Russell, Lyle and Reilly would do nicely.

Edited by MacWatt

JM has another 2 weeks to play different line ups in the 2 cup games before we face the more important game against Dundee. 

He need not have a preferred line up.

He has the choice of Russell, Lyle, Reilly along with Paton and Carmichael as additional offensive players to play with.

Last season Johnston very often interchanged the strikers.  Lyle and Reilly ended up with 13/14 goals apiece despite not being regular starters.

15 goals each from Russell, Lyle and Reilly would do nicely.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Absolutely correct McWatt. Three or four good standard of strikers ( of which we have) rotating over a hard season will keep things fresh up front and competition for places does nothing but good. This new perfect surface should suit the guys of high technical ability like Paton and Lyle.

Chomping at the bit for some competitve action now. The team.have shown up very well in the pre season games with only concerns ( for me) about the unknown quality of the last line of defence . No disrespect to Spartans and Annan but I am expecting two wins

and confidence high for an opening sizzler against Dundee.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

The pre-season preparations seem to have been well thought out and provided the perfect test for the players..

Starting off with closed door fitness proving run-outs followed by a local formal training session against Annan were ideal.

The choice of playing the two weakest teams in the Premiership (apart from Hibs) provided the next stiffer test and the chance to gain valuable game time on the new pitch.

The manager is doing well as are the new signings Dowie, Russell and Antell.

We have good reason to look forward to watching a good footballing team which will challenge for a playoff spot.

JM has got good options throughout the team and I am sure he will make good use of the squad.

Could not disagree with any of that.