The Queen of the South thread

Couldn't make it today but was surprised to see no Durnan in the squad. Is he injured ? Sounds like a good performance against opposition we should of beaten fairly comfortably. Annan got a great victory today and might not be the easy victory everyone expects.

McKenna was superb - is it just me, or is he playing a more attacking role?  He looked a player rejuvenated anyway.

Loved the lost ball soap opera... :lol:

Have watched McKenna closely for a few years now. A superb footballer actually and not just on todays performance . Very good servant for us as well.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Who was it that ran across the pitch just before the start of the 2nd half? whoever it was got a round of applause. I couldn't make out who it was.

From where I was standing it looked like Nicky Clark

Yes it certainly was Nicky Clark!

Back down in Dumfries watching his pal Michael Paton and the rest of the his old team mates win convincingly.

Rangers don't play till the morn and I Dowt he will be in the squad as only allowed to name 2 trialists.

Guest Flash

First look at the team this season and just concentrating on the things to be concerned about

The defence managed to get itself in a mess 3 or 4 times in the second half from sloppy play. A better team could easily have scored a couple.

Russell doesn't look comfortable playing in that winger type role.

The midfield looked much poorer after Young went off.

Burns had yet another below average game.

Overall, very difficult to judge against poor opposition and it is early days so, hopefully, the defence can get sorted out.

As for McIntyre, it is going to be difficult getting used to somebody bellowing at the players so much after AJ's more laid back style. It was nowhere near Gus levels, and he seemed to tone it down a bit as the game progressed, so hopefully it won't be a feature.

First look at the team this season and just concentrating on the things to be concerned about

The defence managed to get itself in a mess 3 or 4 times in the second half from sloppy play. A better team could easily have scored a couple.

Overall, very difficult to judge against poor opposition and it is early days so, hopefully, the defence can get sorted out.

As for McIntyre, it is going to be difficult getting used to somebody bellowing at the players so much after AJ's more laid back style. It was nowhere near Gus levels, and he seemed to tone it down a bit as the game progressed, so hopefully it won't be a feature.

I would agree that the defence didnt look great. Hopefully, it was jsut down to lack of concentration, as they had very little to do. There was some sloppy play and youre right about a better side taking advantage, its exactly how St Mirren scored two goals midweek. I have to say, I think we're going to have to accept that we will lose some goals this season in this way. Its obvious McIntyre wants the team to pass the ball, which is great and works really well in an attacking sense and in allowing us to dominate possession, but mistakes will be made and we will concede goals because of them.

Ive said Russell doesnt look comfortable out wide since the Annan game. Its my main issue with this formation. However, I think the positives of it outweigh the negatives.

Again, Ive said several times that we need another midfielder, if we are to play this formation. I would agree on Burns too, too many miscontrols and misplaced passes. Again, the issue of no real competition comes up.

I think Ive just totally agreed with you :o

My other concern, but its a minor one given the way the game went, is that we didnt create that many chances from open play. 1st division sides will defend set pieces much better than Spartans did, so we cant really rely on them to score all of our goals - although with Mitchels delivery, I do think we'll score a fair few of our goals that way.

Guest Flash

My other concern, but its a minor one given the way the game went, is that we didnt create that many chances from open play. 1st division sides will defend set pieces much better than Spartans did, so we cant really rely on them to score all of our goals - although with Mitchels delivery, I do think we'll score a fair few of our goals that way.

Yeah, I thought that as well. I guess it could be argued that if we hadn't already scored three, we might have put more emphasis on scoring from open play in the second half.

Although, I wonder if the system lends itself to having a lot of the ball, but doesn't really result in that many chances. Difficult to tell from one game, particularly as they had everybody behind the ball for certain spells.

Guest TOPFITTER

Who was it that ran across the pitch just before the start of the 2nd half? whoever it was got a round of applause. I couldn't make out who it was.

I can confirm that it was indeed Nicky Clark. I asked him if he would come across for a photo with the Half-time entertainment providers

Greystone Rovers FC and he kindly agreed, as before the match did Calum Antell, Jim Atkinson, Dan Orsi, Pat Slattery and Mark Durnan.

These guys are a credit to themselves and Queens that they are willing to make an effort to make the kids day. This type of thoughtfulness hopefully will pay dividends in years to come.

Thanks to Christine and the Coaches of Greystone Rovers FC and the parents for making the half-time entertainment possible and to the supporters for for their indulgence.

Hopefully more half-time entertainment at the Annan game. :thumsup2 :thumsup2 :thumsup2

Yeah, I thought that as well. I guess it could be argued that if we hadn't already scored three, we might have put more emphasis on scoring from open play in the second half.

Although, I wonder if the system lends itself to having a lot of the ball, but doesn't really result in that many chances. Difficult to tell from one game, particularly as they had everybody behind the ball for certain spells.

I think thats a good point. Theres no doubt we will end up with a lot of possession but, as you say, will it be in areas where we will create chances and hurt teams? McIntyre, early on, today was telling the players to get the ball wide and get crosses in. Maybe thats something we'll see more of as the season progresses. Paton and Carmichael both had off days which limited the effectiveness of the wide play and when Russell and Reilly came on, they tended to play narrower and we lost some of the width.

First look at the team this season and just concentrating on the positives.

The defence kept a clean sheet and limited the Spartans attack to next to no chances for 80 minutes, with our goal most under threat in the last ten when the result was home and hosed. Even then the chances created came from decent moves by the Spartans attack, rather than from poor play from us.

Russell came on, linked up well with Lyle in particular, and was involved in our well-worked fourth goal.

The midfield looked poorer when Derek Young went off :blink: Derek Young is one of our best players, and was replaced by a youngster who'll be lucky if he's played ten professional games, and none for a year due to injury. Hardly a surprise is it!

Burns was absolutely fine, not outstanding, but he put in a solid enough performance. I certainly can't think of anything he did to warrant being specially selected for criticism. No-one played particularly badly, but I thought Paton was probably our worst performer, and Carmichael was fairly quiet. Turning a negative into a positive, it was pleasing to see that McIntyre noticed early on that it wasn't Paton's day and replaced him.

Overall we comfortably progressed into the next round of the cup with four goals scored and a clean sheet.

I can't comment on the "bellowing" as I couldn't hear it from my position in the ground. Nor could I hear it/not hear it under previous managers.

Heard kevin dzeirzwaski was coming back to Palmerston on Monday with his visa and is ready to sign on the dotted line.

If true he could become a great signing.

Anyone else hear anything?

Heard exactly the same, quite excited about this signing. First American to play for the club ?