The Queen of the South thread

I agree that a run to the final is desperately unlikely. No more so than it was in the 2007/08 season at this point though.

In early December in that season we might have gone bottom were it not for a good second half at Stirling. Those were the days of course when both parts of the OF were full of International stars and glory for diddies like us lay that bit more distant.

Even last season's silly wee cup run was wonderful - for me the highlight, despite the greater significance of the League title.

If we'd started brightly in the League this season, I bet you'd say the League was the priority as the play-off quest trumped other concerns.

For me, it's the Cup every time. If we lose next week, the season ahead looks much more barren.

No, if we'd started the league well then there would be no particular need to establish a run of form. Theres plenty of time to pick up points between now and the end of the season, but having got our first win in 5 games its more important to continue that momentum. If we lose to Hamilton in the league and then again to Morton the week after, todays win will be pretty meaningless.

No, if we'd started the league well then there would be no particular need to establish a run of form. Theres plenty of time to pick up points between now and the end of the season

There would be exactly the same need to establish/continue a run of form. The immediate target would just have shifted a little.

There would be exactly the same need to establish/continue a run of form. The immediate target would just have shifted a little.

I disagree. Had we won a couple more games in the first quarter that wouldnt necessarily mean we were on any kind of run. Had we beaten Dundee last week but lost today, but been 7 or 8 points better off overall, there would be no particular reason to need to win the Hamilton league game, over any other league game.

Having just seen an improvement in performance last week and an improvement in both performance and result today, in my opinion, its far more important we keep that momentum in the league than win a cup game

I disagree. Had we won a couple more games in the first quarter that wouldnt necessarily mean we were on any kind of run. Had we beaten Dundee last week but lost today, but been 7 or 8 points better off overall, there would be no particular reason to need to win the Hamilton league game, over any other league game.

Having just seen an improvement in performance last week and an improvement in both performance and result today, in my opinion, its far more important we keep that momentum in the league than win a cup game

You're just finding a means of promoting the League game's importance by citing the current circumstances. That's fine - there is no right or wrong answer here. I don't honestly see why 3 points are any more significant now than they might be in any November though.

You're just finding a means of promoting the League game's importance by citing the current circumstances. That's fine - there is no right or wrong answer here. I don't honestly see why 3 points are any more significant now than they might be in any November though.

Are there better circumstance to use than the current ones??

As I said, it isnt about the three points. Its about continuing the improvement and momentum. To be honest, Id be happy with a draw in the league game and defeat in the cup, as long as we then beat Morton. If only we could pick and choose!

Edited by Mr X

Are there better circumstance to use than the current ones??

As I said, it isnt about the three points. Its about continuing the improvement and momentum. To be honest, Id be happy with a draw in the league game and defeat in the cup, as long as we then beat Morton. If only we could pick and choose!

I know none of this matters, but if preserving momentum is your concern, surely you'd look for a win next time out. That's the Cup game.

I know none of this matters, but if preserving momentum is your concern, surely you'd look for a win next time out. That's the Cup game.

But then we'd lose the league game. If we could win both, then I would agree with you, but you wont let us!

Given the choice, Id rather gather momentum in the league than win a one-off cup game

Since we only have Zander Clark for a month ,who do you think will be in goals next week for the cup game against Hamilton! Can't see St Johnstone being very keen on him playing just in case he's needed later on in the cup for them.

Since we only have Zander Clark for a month ,who do you think will be in goals next week for the cup game against Hamilton! Can't see St Johnstone being very keen on him playing just in case he's needed later on in the cup for them.

He's St Johnstone' s 3rd choice and I think I'm right in saying he's never played for their 1st team. I don't see them presenting an obstacle. I seem to remember us playing a loanee in goals in some Cup ties a few years back.

But then we'd lose the league game. If we could win both, then I would agree with you, but you wont let us!

Given the choice, Id rather gather momentum in the league than win a one-off cup game

Fair enough.

I don't mind what your preference is, so long as you respect the rules.

Fair enough.

As much as I am liking this game MT, it is not as entertaining as VT's Fun With Facts. Sadly that series appears to be finished for the season.

Would take a cup win as I can't see us being in any danger of getting relegated . We could still make play offs and it is still a realistic target but do we want to go up? Would you take another few seasons in this division to play against the rangers and possibly hearts next year? Next season could be a really good first division and a lot o people will be watching if hearts come down. Would love it if hearts came down with Hamilton going up, Cowdenbeath and Alloa or Dumbarton going down with rangers and Ayr coming up .

Anyway a good win and a good performance today Durnan really is solid , Carmichael had his best game of the season, kev the American was brilliant. Gavin Reilly worked his socks off today and deserved a goal and Ian russel is a goal machine. Our goalkeeper situation still isn't solved not too ken on Clark. Higgins has a few dodgy spells too . It was also good to see us pressing high up the park again like we did last season and the start of the season

Would take a cup win as I can't see us being in any danger of getting relegated . We could still make play offs and it is still a realistic target but do we want to go up? Would you take another few seasons in this division to play against the rangers and possibly hearts next year? Next season could be a really good first division and a lot o people will be watching if hearts come down. Would love it if hearts came down with Hamilton going up, Cowdenbeath and Alloa or Dumbarton going down with rangers and Ayr coming up .

Anyway a good win and a good performance today Durnan really is solid , Carmichael had his best game of the season, kev the American was brilliant. Gavin Reilly worked his socks off today and deserved a goal and Ian russel is a goal machine. Our goalkeeper situation still isn't solved not too ken on Clark. Higgins has a few dodgy spells too . It was also good to see us pressing high up the park again like we did last season and the start of the season

Are you seriously asking if we would want to go up? The situation in this league next season should be an extra incentive to try get up this year, because we'll have no chance next year.

I would take the league win. While a cup run every now and then is nice, the league is what really matters.

Fair enough.

Always!

As much as I am liking this game MT, it is not as entertaining as VT's Fun With Facts. Sadly that series appears to be finished for the season.

Theres one Morton fact everyone knows :lol:

Right now, theres as much chance of us going down as Cowden, Alloa or Dumbarton.

Higgins almost got himself into trouble by trying to overplay at the back a couple of times. Other than that he was absolutely solid. He and Durnan played really well. If only we'd started the season with that pairing

Hope antell is back fit for next Saturday as Zander Clark just said. On twitter that he can't play next week. I wouldn't want to put Atkinson in goals so I hope antell is fit or we have a problem

If he is fit, we have a problem.

Well that settles MT's game, we will lose both.

Antell been a cup hero once already against the buddies. I like the big keeper but only cause Antell isn't there doesn't fill me with confidence and his kicking is brutal. In two games I would need to use fingers and toes to count how many times he has lumped it straight into touch. Durnan and Holty were great today but thought Kev was absolutely outstanding today. His range of passing with both feet is different to anything I have ever seen in a queens shirt. Glad we have him tied down for two years as it won't be long until the phone starts ringing. Paton came on and looked sharp when he came on and he must start ahead of Mcshane for me. The position McIntyre currently plays him in does not suit him at all, he has no attacking instincts and the game passes him by far too easily. Once we have our full midfield available McIntyre is going to have some tough choices as Young was very good today and he cannot even think about dropping Kevin.

Edited by Broony88