The Queen of the South thread

Incidentally that Cult Heroes article is a terrible piece. I can understand the cult aspect for Mallan. Tommy Bryce is more a legend than a cult hero, and surely in all the time the club's been in existence there has been better candidates than Alex bloody Nesovic!

I think the most famous of Queens Cult Heroes is George "Chopper" Dickson.

That's you trumped then JRS left peg haha

Not at all pal. I have programmes in seasons going back to the 1930's. The older seasons are not complete home collections of course . As I said, I might be useful one day as I would imagine only one or two people have a more comprehensive collection- if at all - than me . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Not at all pal. I have programmes in seasons going back to the 1930's. The older seasons are not complete home collections of course . As I said, I might be useful one day as I would imagine only one or two people have a more comprehensive collection- if at all - than me .

Didn't for one second expect my collection to trump yours. Mine are however easily accessible (not in a loft) and cover comprehensively the last 20 off years which is the period when they may have contained enough information to be of much use for any queries. I have odd issues before that (my earliest is from the 50's I think) but back then they really were just team sheets with adverts. Not much editorial.

SD- Can you tell me how many Breath fans were there as we are trying to work out some crowd stats.

51 Cowdenbeath fans at Palmerston yesterday.

Didn't for one second expect my collection to trump yours. Mine are however easily accessible (not in a loft) and cover comprehensively the last 20 off years which is the period when they may have contained enough information to be of much use for any queries. I have odd issues before that (my earliest is from the 50's I think) but back then they really were just team sheets with adverts. Not much editorial.

51 Cowdenbeath fans at Palmerston yesterday.

Thanks for crowd info. Finally , on the subject of progs , the early ones away to the bigger teams tend to have some valuable info in them. These were more comprehensive than our early home ones . I will have to pass them on at some time but cant see my daughters taking them .The size of collection wasn't meant as a boast but only for what I originally said . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Genuinely impressed by the programme collections boys.

As a keen boarder of the nostalgia bus, I'm ashamed to say it's a thing I've never really gone for, not out of any conviction, but just because they rarely seemed like much of a read, although even that is sometimes not the case.

The real point of programmes in terms of collections of course, is that they are contemporary records of the staging of matches and I suppose that makes them kind of wonderful.

I love the idea of the collections as heirlooms to be handed on to frankly baffled offspring.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Genuinely impressed by the programme collections boys.

As a keen boarder of the nostalgia bus, I'm ashamed to say it's a thing I've never really gone for, not out of any conviction, but just because they rarely seemed like much of a read, although even that is sometimes not the case.

The real point of programmes in terms of collections of course, is that they are contemporary records of the staging of matches and I suppose that makes them kind of wonderful.

I love the idea of the collections as heirlooms to be handed on to frankly baffled offspring.

You might have noticed that I am a bit of a fan of the QoS retro 'thing'. Any time I have glanced through an old prog , I think you get a feel of the time , triggering the old grey matter into action . Even the local businesses advertised are interesting to think back to ( how long they lasted etc) Could see me donating the lot to QoS at some point but not yet. I started seriously collecting in my teens spending ridiculous amounts of money on say a 1950's away Hearts v Qos programme. Before that , a guy called Andy Inglis - who SD will probably know - used to travel all over Europe watching Scotland and over our country watching us . A programme was always despatched to my dad from Andy to give to me . As you say, my "baffled" girls would not speak to me again if I lumped all that on them. Edit to add - SD, Is Andy still alive do you know ? Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

You might have noticed that I am a bit of a fan of the QoS retro 'thing'. Any time I have glanced through an old prog , I think you get a feel of the time , triggering the old grey matter into action . Even the businesses advertised are interesting to think back to. Could see me donating the lot to QoS at some point but not yet.

Yes, I get the appeal. As you say, adverts and stuff must tell a good local story of their own.

Hang on to the collection for now I'd say.

You might have noticed that I am a bit of a fan of the QoS retro 'thing'. Any time I have glanced through an old prog , I think you get a feel of the time , triggering the old grey matter into action . Even the local businesses advertised are interesting to think back to ( how long they lasted etc) Could see me donating the lot to QoS at some point but not yet. I started seriously collecting in my teens spending ridiculous amounts of money on say a 1950's away Hearts v Qos programme. Before that , a guy called Andy Inglis - who SD will probably know - used to travel all over Europe watching Scotland and over our country watching us . A programme was always despatched to my dad from Andy to give to me . As you say, my "baffled" girls would not speak to me again if I lumped all that on them. Edit to add - SD, Is Andy still alive do you know ?

Yes Andy Inglis is still alive and still goes to Palmerston every home game I think.

I have never really been into "collecting" programmes in terms of buying old ones. My interest generally was in getting them from games I was at, which is why my collection mostly starts in 85 as I only started going regularly then. Since I started going to away games at all I have made a point of getting all of them though so on the odd occasion I cant make a game (it is nearly three years since I did last miss a game) I arrange for someone else to get me one. Hence I have them all since 1991.

I have no great interest in spending money to acquire older ones though. I have been given a few over the years by various people which I am happy to have but I wouldnt pay for them. My total of Queens programmes is just over 1300 now.

I feel compelled to join in, but have no right to.

I've got some nice coasters depicting Queens programme covers from down the years, which my wife bought me in Moffat. Does that count?

My collection currently stands at four.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

There was a spell where I bought a programme every week, or more accurately my Dad bought me one. I've probably got a two or three season spell where I have one from every home game in the days when I was a Junior Blue.

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought one now though. My programme buying is limited to special occasions like our Challenge Cup Finals, the Scottish Cup Semi and Final, and the subsequent UEFA Cup games. I've also got a programme from my first ever game which is a handy reminder of how long I've been putting myself through the wringer in the name of entertainment.

There was a spell where I bought a programme every week, or more accurately my Dad bought me one. I've probably got a two or three season spell where I have one from every home game in the days when I was a Junior Blue.

I couldn't tell you the last time I bought one now though. My programme buying is limited to special occasions like our Challenge Cup Finals, the Scottish Cup Semi and Final, and the subsequent UEFA Cup games. I've also got a programme from my first ever game which is a handy reminder of how long I've been putting myself through the wringer in the name of entertainment.

Kind of the same here. I bought a programme every game and probably had one from every game since I started going. They, however, were all lost in the great programme cull of 2011 :( when we moved house. I dont really bother anymore. I buy home ones, simply because its a little bit of money going into the club but I dont bother keeping them and I dont buy one at away games, unless its something special