The General Ross County Chat Thread

RCC is, objectively, not pish. Give players a run in the team rather than 15 minutes here and there. For whatever reason he's the target for whinging at this season. We'll ignore the cloggers that are getting starts this season and last without contributing much of note.

And the Mullin departure: there's always something with County fans that there must be something else. My uncle's postie's pal heard there was a big fallout outside Aldo's. Players, like everyone else, can just want to leave. It is allowed. 

Don't know anything about Hylton but hopefully he turns out alright.

You worked that out on the brilliant season we had last year?

No mate, working it out on the utter shite that’s going on in front of our eyes. Surely you’d have to agree because surely you don’t believe Kettlewell is doing a good job? You do you though...

If I could log into Overthebridge I'd not doubt see the "Mullin isn't good enough for the top flight" and "not premiership league quality" posts.

Then I'll see desperate defences of RCC, despite him so far being: unable to cross, dribble, shoot, run with the ball, not be the reincarnation of Lionel Djebi-Zadi.

8 hours ago, smpar said:

Has Mullin been rumoured to be going anywhere in particular? I’d imagine he’ll get a Premiership club no bother, and it’s probably a wage we can’t afford but that’d be a terrific signing.

Can't imagine he'd be asking for more than a stock salary for a hapless lower top flight side like ourselves/yourselves.  I'd imagine St Mirren is a pretty reasonable guess.  Fraser will definitely have his back.

8 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

No mate, working it out on the utter shite that’s going on in front of our eyes. Surely you’d have to agree because surely you don’t believe Kettlewell is doing a good job? You do you though...

Sorry mate, but that’s not what I implied. We had a shite season last year and Ferguson was co-manager. I just wondered how you used two shite seasons to have one person as the brains behind it and the other one getting all the blame.

When I seen Hylton sign I thought 'FINALLY OPTIONS OUT WIDE' then I seen the footnote about Mullin. Arguably our most influential player in our promotion season and an all round fan favourite given a sentence at the bottom of a signing announcement, embarrassing from the club. If he wanted to go fair enough but at least give the man the credit he's due.

Hylton seems more of an attacking winger than a 'box to box' style of winger, so we could see a 433 actually be useful again. 

We are definitely favourite for relegation though.

Lifted from a bbc page, the below list shows a big shift in player personel this transfer window, have we ever seen so many transfers at viccy park?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53432796

In: Connor Randall, defender (Arda Kardzhali); Carl Tremarco, defender (Inverness Caledonian Thistle); Regan Charles-Cook, midfielder (Gillingham); Alex Iacovitti, defender (Oldham Athletic); Michael O'Connor, striker (Waterford); Jermain Hylton, winger (Motherwell).

Loan in: Stephen Kelly, midfielder (Rangers); Ross Doohan, goalkeeper (Celtic).

Out: Marcus Fraser, defender (St Mirren); Lee Erwin, forward (St Mirren); Richard Foster, defender (Partick Thistle); Don Cowie, midfielder (retired); Lewis Spence, midfielder (Scunthorpe United); Sean Kelly, defender; Declan McManus, forward (Dunfermline Athletic); James Graham, forward (Rangers); Joe Chalmers, defender (Ayr United); Tommy Dixon-Hodge, goalkeeper; Jack Murray, defender; James Wallace, forward; Declan Hughes, midfielder; Joel MacBeth, forward; Gregor MacDonald, midfielder; Jack Grant, midfielder; Thomas Brady, midfielder; Tom Kelly, defender; Ruari Fraser, defender; Josh Mullin, winger.

Sorry mate, but that’s not what I implied. We had a shite season last year and Ferguson was co-manager. I just wondered how you used two shite seasons to have one person as the brains behind it and the other one getting all the blame.

Fair enough, kind of misinterpreted what you said. However, do you think Kettlewell is the man to take us forward? Personally I don’t.

16 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Fair enough, kind of misinterpreted what you said. However, do you think Kettlewell is the man to take us forward? Personally I don’t.

I know your question wasn't put to me but i don't believe its fair to judge as we're only 9 matches into his tenure. 

He's proven himself at the club as a player and a coach, that in itself is no guarantee he'll be successful but he's certainly worth a go, I'd think any coach we could get in would struggle initially with this squad, given the upheaval there's been in this transfer window.

Who do you suggest we should have appointed that would do better than Ketts?

54 minutes ago, frankthetank22 said:

I know your question wasn't put to me but i don't believe its fair to judge as we're only 9 matches into his tenure. 

He's proven himself at the club as a player and a coach, that in itself is no guarantee he'll be successful but he's certainly worth a go, I'd think any coach we could get in would struggle initially with this squad, given the upheaval there's been in this transfer window.

Will get slaughtered but somebody like yogi. Ketts is out of his depth and if we stick with him then we’re gone.

Edited by StoneThrowAway

3 hours ago, StoneThrowAway said:

Will get slaughtered but somebody like yogi. Ketts is out of his depth and if we stick with him then we’re gone.

Judging by his recent interview, it seems perfectly obvious that UR also thinks so.

He also made it abundantly clear that he's grooming Cowie for promotion. If he doesn't think he's ready, then I'd agree, John Hughes would be a good choice. I would be very interested to see what the outcome would be if John Robertson was offered a deal.

I'd think any coach we could get in would struggle initially with this squad, given the upheaval there's been in this transfer window.

I could understand a new manager coming in and taking a squad that had been adopted from the previous manager, but ultimately this whole squad has been his choice. He’s been joint manager for 2 and a bit years previous so he’s had a say in, near enough, every player currently in the first team squad. He’s then gone out and bought 8/9 players and, O’Connor and Hylton aside, only one looks any cop. So to say any manager would struggle with that squad; maybe so. But he was the reason they’ve all been brought in in the first place.

I’m not calling for his head and I do agree that we’re 9 matches into his tenure. Also certainly don’t begrudge your view whatever it is as everyone is entitled to an opinion. I’m just saying we’ve got zero identity and we’ve scraped every single point we’ve earned so far.

8 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Lifted from a bbc page, the below list shows a big shift in player personel this transfer window, have we ever seen so many transfers at viccy park?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53432796

In: Connor Randall, defender (Arda Kardzhali); Carl Tremarco, defender (Inverness Caledonian Thistle); Regan Charles-Cook, midfielder (Gillingham); Alex Iacovitti, defender (Oldham Athletic); Michael O'Connor, striker (Waterford); Jermain Hylton, winger (Motherwell).

Loan in: Stephen Kelly, midfielder (Rangers); Ross Doohan, goalkeeper (Celtic).

Out: Marcus Fraser, defender (St Mirren); Lee Erwin, forward (St Mirren); Richard Foster, defender (Partick Thistle); Don Cowie, midfielder (retired); Lewis Spence, midfielder (Scunthorpe United); Sean Kelly, defender; Declan McManus, forward (Dunfermline Athletic); James Graham, forward (Rangers); Joe Chalmers, defender (Ayr United); Tommy Dixon-Hodge, goalkeeper; Jack Murray, defender; James Wallace, forward; Declan Hughes, midfielder; Joel MacBeth, forward; Gregor MacDonald, midfielder; Jack Grant, midfielder; Thomas Brady, midfielder; Tom Kelly, defender; Ruari Fraser, defender; Josh Mullin, winger.

I'm 90% sure half the first teamers "released" have been paid off to stop them talking to the media.

4 hours ago, sophia said:

Judging by his recent interview, it seems perfectly obvious that UR also thinks so.

He also made it abundantly clear that he's grooming Cowie for promotion. If he doesn't think he's ready, then I'd agree, John Hughes would be a good choice. I would be very interested to see what the outcome would be if John Robertson was offered a deal.

Robbo absolutely detests Roy McGregor so that's highly unlikely. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Robbo absolutely detests Roy McGregor so that's highly unlikely. 

If Robertson ever came back the sweetie rustling of discontent would increase by at least 6%.

20 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

I agree, and the budget has obviously been reduced considerably... but, is Connor Randall really the only right back they could get?  Is there no left back better than Carl Tremarco?  I think Kettlewell's transfer acquisitions are questionable at the very best.

Tremarco signing for you was a strange one. Well not so strange in the fact he came from us but you know what I mean. 

Signing a 35 year old as a back up was questionable. What a waste of a wage. 

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I agree, and the budget has obviously been reduced considerably... but, is Connor Randall really the only right back they could get?  Is there no left back better than Carl Tremarco?  I think Kettlewell's transfer acquisitions are questionable at the very best.

As always, i believe a major factor in signing the players we want, is finding who is willing to relocate, with their families, to the Highlands of Scotland. 

It's maybe better than it was before but it's still an issue, and many will sign on for less money for the central belt clubs. 

Edited by frankthetank22

Yup.  The local thing is obviously an issue - particularly now.  For the most part, Donaldson, Draper, Vigurs and Mckay have all improved the team and met the local criteria.  Tremarco filled a need for someone who would happily ride the bench almost every week.  I’m all for throwing Reid in there, but he’s patently incapable of offering anything if Reid gets injured/suspended/roasted by the opposition full back for 90 minutes.

I get it, but I don’t get it.  The result is the soft bargaining for transfer fees, but the club should still appeal to players of sufficient quality, and I don’t think too many of this season’s signings are.  That to me is on Kettlewell.