The General Ross County Chat Thread

I don't suppose the majority of contributors to this thread will come across the P&J regularly, but I feel Derek Adams has opened up on his tactical decisions slightly. Towards the end of last week he talked about Melvin de Leeuw "being a number 10 really" and how de Leeuw thrives on the free role he is given (but can't be trusted with defensive responsibilities). Yesterday he discussed the midfield diamond and why putting wing-backs to assist the full-backs at the end of the match helped towards keeping the point that he felt he lost at the start of the season.

It's not often that we get enjoyable tit-bits from the manager so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for sharing Bungle :-)

He's all over the place in todays P&J though. He's included the last day of last season in this season's derbies, and he's demoted one of Celtic, Aberdeen, Motherwell, ICT or St. Johnstone to the bottom six.

The post-split fixtures are announced, all Saturdays at 3pm unless otherwise:

1. Away to Hearts 19/04/14
  2. Home to Killie 26/04/14
  3. Away to St Mirren 03/05/14
  4. Home to Hibs 07/05/14 (Wed 7.45pm)
  5. Away to Partick Thistle 10/05/14 (Sat 12.15pm - possibly on TV)

No surprise on the proportion of home/away fixtures, but they don't suit my circumstances very well, the away fixtures in particular.

The post-split fixtures are announced, all Saturdays at 3pm unless otherwise:

1. Away to Hearts 19/04/14
  2. Home to Killie 26/04/14
  3. Away to St Mirren 03/05/14
  4. Home to Hibs 07/05/14 (Wed 7.45pm)
  5. Away to Partick Thistle 10/05/14 (Sat 12.15pm - possibly on TV)

No surprise on the proportion of home/away fixtures, but they don't suit my circumstances very well, the away fixtures in particular.

Me neither, Friday will be my last home game of the season I'll be able to make, if we don't finish 11th that is. :(

Come to Partick. You can leave the puppy at mine.

He can stay up the road, but I am going to attempt Partick. Annoyingly, Verbal's offshore for that one but I'll attempt to saunter down anyway.

At this rate Hearts might still not be relegated by that point; that'd make things interesting.

I'll be at the first two away games, possibly the third depending on the significance of it. Could do with us being long safe and saving a few quid.

I guess we're still at the stage of waiting to make sure we're in the top flight next season, but I hope Del is already planning for that and has deals lined up for Cikos & Oiko, and another 6 months for Arquin (to take him to next Summer).

Other than that, I'm generally a bit lost as to who's signed for how long now.

Carey and de Leeuw were on 2 years deals, I think Maclean was too (although hopefully not).

Klok and Maatsen I presume had similar length deals to Luckassen and Melvin.

Gordon and Saunders?

Brittain - ? There wasn't much said at the time, regarding length of contract, in all the hee-haw.

Boyd, Rocco, Brown, Fraser, Ketts, Ross, will be out of contract.

I think of the loanees, only Tidser we stand a remote chance of keeping, presuming Rotherham don't want a fee and he is willing to take a substantial wage cut.

Maybe Songo'o has discovered a love for Trout fishing in the highlands and is desperate to live here.

I'm certain Brian McLean was on one year.

STV Sport have Brittain's deal as expiring this summer but that must be on the basis of the length not being reported anywhere. Luckassen was on a three year deal and the other Dutch guys signed for two years.

Maybe Songo'o has discovered a love for Trout fishing in the highlands and is desperate to live here.

Never trust someone who likes trout fishing, right dodgy characters IMO. ;)

Gordon has a mutual option for next year which I assume won't be picked up. Saunders is a one year deal, I'm pretty sure Brittain signed for two years, but I don't remember where I read that.

I'd be very disappointed if Oik doesn't sign up for another year.

Goalkeepers

Mark Brown - (Out of contract)

Michael Fraser - (Out of contract)

Defenders

Scott Boyd - (Out of contract? - guessing he only got a 1-year deal)

Steven Saunders - (Out of contract)

Brian McLean - (Out of contract)

Ben Gordon - (Out of contract but automatically given a 1-year extension offer after playing 19 games but he's not accepted it yet)

Evangelos Oikonomou - (Out of contract)

Yaan Songo'o - (Loan expires)

Erik Cikos - (Loan expires)

Midfielders

Mark Klok - (May 2015)

Melvin De Leeuw - (May 2015)

Graham Carey - (May 2015)

Richard Brittain - (You would like to think he got a 2-year deal after all the fuss of trying to get him back?)

Rocco Quinn - (May 2015 according to the Daily Express, Scott Burns is normally a reliable journo)

Stuart Kettlewell - (Same with Boydy I don't think anyone knows but I'd guess he's out of contact)

Darren Maatsen - (May 2015)

Alex Cooper - (Out of contract)

Michael Tidser - (Loan expires)

Filip Kiss - (Loan expires)

Forwards

Gary Glen - (Out of contract)

Steven Ross - (May 2015)

Yoann Arquin - (January 2015)

Jordan Slew - (Loan expires)

A bit concerning (as is the norm at Ross County every season these days) that only 3 of our current starting XI seem to be signed up for next season.

Edited by staggy4life

From that i would release Brown, Fraser, Saunders, McLean, Kettlewell, Cooper and Glen. New long term deals for Boyd and Iko and an attempt to get the likes of Slew, Songo 'o and Cikos back up on loan.

Out of those out of contract/loan expired I would keep one of the keepers as back up to a new #1. Boyd, Gordon, Evamgelos and Cikos from the defence. Richie, Ketts, Cooper and Tidser from midfield.

I would love for Songo'o, Kiss and Slew to stay, but I imagine the asking prices from their parent clubs would be far too high. Maybe Songo'o is still young enough for Blackburn to loan him out for another season?

For me, I'd keep one of Brown or Fraser as back-up to a new keeper.

Offer contracts to Boyd, Saunders, Oiko, Brittain (if he needs one), Ketts.

Attempt to lure to sign Cikos, Songo'o & Tidser either by loan or permanent. (Obviously we couldn't afford Songo'o permanently).

Extend Arquin's deal.

Accept we won't keep Kiss or Slew.

Punt Mclean, Gordon, Cooper & Glen.