The General Ross County Chat Thread

Aye, thats what I had in my head. I actually miss Tidser more than Kiss, just for his ability to pick a pass and keep a hold of the ball. i'd love to see him in the 433 discussed earlier, alongside Balk and Brittain. Still, happy with Carey if it happens :)

Being realistic, Carey's as good as it gets for that role just now.

And if Adams goes with that front three, and it clicks, then they should be just fine this season: I would no longer have them down for 11th place.

Who knows what will happen, but I'm definitely more optimistic now than I was a week ago.

Edited by bunglebonce

Totally agree; similar to the midfield 3 of Carey, Balk and Brittain, it has everything.

Glorious Gary Reguero

Glorious Gary Fenlon, Glorious Gary Boyd, Glorious Gary Dreesen, Glorious Gary Celcer

Glorious Gary Brittain, Glorious Gary Balk, Glorious Gary Carey

Glorious Gary Arquin, Glorious Gary "Maureen" Boycey, Glorious Gary De Leeuw.

Not bad.

I thought one of the players tweeted playing head tennis by the official twitter page last night looked like him.

Carey was probably in our best 3 players last season, although I thought his form dipped towards the end.

My worry is that, is he only coming to us as no central belt Premiership team wants him.

If he did sign we are still short of a Tidser type player in centre mid

Edited by Capital_stag

Exactly, there would be a bit of everything. There's a likelihood that Kettlewell would get added to that as well and I don't even think that Capital Stag could grudge him as experienced cover.

I lost count of the amount of times that Carey shot against the woodwork, and I thought that his second year could see him improve further to earn him the bigger move he clearly wants.

He has such a good understanding with de Leeuw, too. Even when County were at their worst last year, those two could ping first time 30 yard passes to each other and create a half-chance.

I don't mind Quinn or Ketts as cover. Having both signed up again isn't great in my view.

Glorious Gary Reguero

Glorious Gary Fenlon, Glorious Gary Boyd, Glorious Gary Dreesen, Glorious Gary Celcer

Glorious Gary Brittain, Glorious Gary Balk, Glorious Gary Carey

Glorious Gary Arquin, Glorious Gary "Maureen" Boycey, Glorious Gary De Leeuw.

Not bad.

Given the 'Dee fans normally use the acronym GGH we could just go for:

Glorious Glorious Reguero

Glorious Glorious Fenlon, Glorious Glorious Boyd etc.

Double the glory, but still adhering to the system.

Glorious stuff.

I thought one of the players tweeted playing head tennis by the official twitter page last night looked like him.

Carey was probably in our best 3 players last season, although I thought his form dipped towards the end.

My worry is that, is he only coming to us as no central belt Premiership team wants him.

If he did sign we are still short of a Tidser type player in centre mid

That was the same as last season though? He went on abroad on trial with Dundee Utd and never got offered a deal.

That was the same as last season though? He went on abroad on trial with Dundee Utd and never got offered a deal.

True, although slightly different after being at the club for a year. If he is happy to return it is fine. Just don't know what his reason were to want to look elsewhere.

True, although slightly different after being at the club for a year. If he is happy to return it is fine. Just don't know what his reason were to want to look elsewhere.

His girlfriend being pregnant and coming from the Paisley area is probably one of them so can't really blame him.

Last pre-season game tonight, and last weekend without competitive football. I'm ready to roll* and can't wait for the season to start.

*Disclaimer: I may not actually be ready to roll, as I will be turning up extremely drunk and hungover at Victoria Park after Bella on the Sunday morning.

I'm going to guess from that the two remaining trialists plus Carey are going to be signing.

I'd still like an explanation on why Klok isn't there - going to guess injury.

I think Klok has a knock and he is at home rested

Happy if Arquin signs up for longer. Hopefully he plays through the middle tonight with Boyce instead of wide right

So with Carey looking as if he may be with us, and the other 2 who were on trial being given squad numbers in the photo posted by the twitter account, I think we've seen the end of new players coming in.....at least until Jan transfer window anyway.

This is how I imagine/would like County to line up assuming Derek keeps with the same type of formation from pre-season....which is of no guarantee going on previous history

Reguero

Fenlon Boyd Dressen Celcer (sp?)

Brittain Balk

De Leeuw

Arquin Carey

Boyce

It's not a bad team by any stretch, certainly has it's strengths. Boyce looks like a poacher we've been crying out for since Barrowman in division 2. in the 2 games I saw Arquin had set Boyce up for at least 1 goal and a few other chances as well. Carey out on the left would be a better option than Cardle who continually cuts back onto his right all the time and I would rather we have De Leeuw in the centre than wasted out on the wing. Was debating for a while on whether to drop Rocco or Ritchie and I really wouldn't be surprised if Brittain makes way for Rocco in the centre.

However it does have some issues and for me it'll comes down to our defence. Celcer (not sure if I spelt that right) has not been that great but then I've not seen much of anyone else in that role, so if he does sign then I imagine he'll start as LB. For a defender he does have a decent touch and pass though but wanders far too much. Dressen turns quicker than the Titanic but only just and he didn't seem that great in the air, not a lot of teams are going to be playing tippy tappy football but will resort to the lump the ball up, if Boydy gets an injury I fear we'll start shipping in goals through our centre pairing.

However the brightest thing I see is the options that we'll have coming off the bench. Cardle/Maatsen/Jarvis/Ross can all come in and change our focus of attack while Frempah/Rocco/Latouchent and Ketts(if he gets fit and is offered a chance) can offer something to strengthen a tiring defence if and when we are leading with 10/15 mins to go.

I don't know, maybe it's the inner child in me, maybe it's the blind optimism that every fan has, but I really think we can get 10th place......

According to our Dutch correspondent Stuart Taylor, the starting line-up last night in the 1-2 loss to the Twente u23s was:

Reguero

Saunders Boyd Dreesen Celcer

Brittain Quinn

Arquin de Leeuw Cardle

Jervis

Before last night, I thought that the team that started would be the team that starts against St Johnstone.

Apparently Fenlon (for Saunders), Balk (for de Leeuw, probably moving Quinn forward) and Carey (for Cardle) came on at half-time, with other subs later.

The HT subs muddy the water a little bit, but to be honest I don't see it changing much. I think the only position in serious debate is at right-back.

Adams learned his lesson last year in terms of banking on too many inexperienced players at the start of the season. Contrast that to the beginning of the 2012-13 season, when we thought Tokely would only be at right-back but who had a big part to play in the series of clean sheets at the start of the season.

That's why I think Fenlon and Balk might have to wait for their chance. Meanwhile, Cardle and Jervis in particular have had a lot of time in the friendlies so they are likely to start. It's good that Jervis got a goal at last, but in the two games I saw him he didn't do anywhere near enough in the build up play. It might be inevitable that Boycey will usurp him but not until he is fit enough to start.

ETA: Interesting times nonetheless. This could be the first time since Adams's first season in charge that he thinks about using a 4-2-3-1, with genuine attacking players on the flanks, as Plan A. And there would still be some quality game-changing options on the bench, eg:

1. Brown
  2. Frempah
  3. Fenlon
  4. Balk
  5. Maatsen
  6. Carey
  7. Boyce
Edited by bunglebonce