The General Ross County Chat Thread

Mceveley. Are you joking? Davies is 10x better. Mceveley was at fault for 2 or maybe all 3 goals. 

Have to agree, McEveley was horrific yesterday although the third goal, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as MacShane's inability/unwillingness to track back with McGowan was the main contributor

McShane was the one chasing down Duffy who had the ball before the pass to McGowan.  McShane isn't the perfect player, but he always tracks back and he was effectively the last line of defence there.

Routis was the one closest to checking McGowan.  I didn't see where his starting position was from, but I don't blame him when there are two central midfielders having to do the job of five guys.  Where were the three centre-backs?  They can't cope with a counter-attack, and given how attacking Ross County are, it's no surprise we've lost three goals at home seven times in 2016.

I put McEveley in a Premiership XI earlier in the week, palmface.  Good defender with the ball at his feet mind you.

Edited by bunglebonce

On 25/07/2016 at 22:43, bunglebonce said:

The build up to the Raith Rovers goal has really been bothering me.

Woods's wee hop was back again for the opener by Dundee.

Being generous, the Raith Rovers opener wasn't Woods's fault, because Vaughan wasn't 'his man', but I would still expect him to pick him up.

In this case, O'Hara was definitely Woods's man and there's no excuse for letting him go.  

O'Hara getting to the line drags all three centre-backs across, particularly Quinn who initially had Loy.  The system broke down with Woods letting his man go, and when you have these defenders facing their own goal something bad is likely to happen more often than not.

Call me a hater, but County are so vulnerable when they go a goal behind so they need to stop losing goals this way.

Edited by bunglebonce
*need to

Fox

Cikos Fraser Quinn Davies McEveley V.D.Weg

Gardyne Routis Woods

Curran

Foresee success with such a workmanlike formation and XI. Davies dropping deeper to be a sweeper; Routis operating like Sergio Busquets; Curran scrapping away up front on his own. 37 nil-nil draws might just keep County up.

2 hours ago, Staggie52 said:

At the beginning of the season I would be chuffed, now I just think it means 3 at the back...

It's an odd one. He's obviously a very good player for us. But we're now overloaded at centre back with desperate need for reinforcements elsewhere, like central midfield & the wing. So I should be happier than I am but now I'm just worrying about this meaning we can't bring in a midfielder. And yes, Jim's 3 at the back isn't much more inspirational a tactic than yoda's suggested 6 at the back.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Fox

Cikos Fraser Quinn Davies McEveley V.D.Weg

Gardyne Routis Woods

Curran

Foresee success with such a workmanlike formation and XI. Davies dropping deeper to be a sweeper; Routis operating like Sergio Busquets; Curran scrapping away up front on his own. 37 nil-nil draws might just keep County up.

The only problem there is Quinn will always be the guy in the middle, so he will have to sweep.

This is still a big if, but IF County bag GMS for the season then you could probably get away with McEveley not pushing forward too much from LB.  Double-mark GMS in that system and others would have more space.

Fox

Cikos Quinn Davies McEveley

Gardyne Routis Woods GMS

Curran* Boyce*

That still leaves us with one of the slowest defences in the league and a CM who will barely protect them, but at least the rest of the team will be balanced and there would be plenty goals in there.

*or whoever is in form

Edited by bunglebonce

The only problem there is Quinn will always be the guy in the middle, so he will have to sweep.

This is still a big if, but IF County bag GMS for the season then you could probably get away with McEveley not pushing forward too much from LB.  Double-mark GMS in that system and others would have more space.

Fox

Cikos Quinn Davies McEveley

Gardyne Routis Woods GMS

Curran* Boyce*

That still leaves us with one of the slowest defences in the league and a CM who will barely protect them, but at least the rest of the team will be balanced and there would be plenty goals in there.

*or whoever is in form

How the hell McIntyre thinks the team can go through an entire season with two and a half central midfielders, I have no idea.

Ross County debt free for the first time in 22 years, below article taken from today's P&J.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/998602/debt-free-county-in-control/?

Ross County are debt-free for the first time in 22 years of senior football.

Chairman Roy MacGregor has started to put the foundations in place for his eventual successor to inherit, but has no intention of handing over the reins in the near future.

The Staggies’ latest accounts, covering the year ending June 2015, showed County turned around a £70,701 loss into a pre-tax profit of £21,914 and MacGregor confirmed the Dingwall club has since cleared all its debt.

The 63-year-old is in his second spell as chairman after replacing Dave Siegel in 2010, but has been involved at board level since the club stepped up from the Highland League in 1994.

MacGregor intends to be around for several years yet, after enjoying the club’s first major silverware success last season when Jim McIntyre’s team lifted the League Cup with a 2-1 win against Hibernian

The chairman said: “We’ve spent about £8million here over the years. Some we got grant aid for, but we had some debt with the bank. That’s gone. The club has no debt at all.

“That is a bit of a milestone in the 22-year journey – the first time we’ve been debt-free. We’ve come from the era when the old green stand was here, grass banks. We feel we’ve now completed what we set out to do.

“That was a bit of a pressure coming off me now the debt is gone.

“I intend to be about for a while yet though. I still enjoy it. I’m still putting something back, but my boys probably won’t do it again, so somewhere along the line there has to be some succession planning.”

MacGregor believes the infrastructure at Victoria Park leaves the club in a strong position for his successor to take on.

He added: “We hope to put more pitches on the training ground and create a bigger environment for the football.

“By and large though, the infrastructure for whoever runs this club in the future is here now. The club is still subsidised, but whoever follows me will do whatever they feel is right.

“They will have an infrastructure here that will do for the next 25 years, so they don’t have to worry about this part.

“I’ve done what I said I would do in trying to create the environment for football to be played, for youngsters to get the opportunity and to bed ourselves in with our community, and I feel comfortable it will be sustainable because there is no debt. It doesn’t mean the football budget will always be what it is now, but there will never have to be more capital investment.”