The General Ross County Chat Thread

As a qualified chump I'm quite happy with the decision.

2 minutes ago, forkboy said:

...Might as well get a big crowd in the gates, maybe make a little bit of noise by the standards of County fans (especially useful if we are still in a chance of hitting the playoff spot that late on), and possibly even convince a couple of the freeloaders that actually watching games live is good fun.

Basically, I can't see it being a particularly risky move.

If it is deemed to help the team and the club then fine. Maybe encourage the team. Maybe get some new converts. Maybe just a bit of goodwill / feel-good factor - assuming this outweighs the complaints from the serial grumpers.

I'd have preferred a pay what you like version, kids go free, with the proceeds going to the local food bank, a couple of quid going to charity should still be attractive to people wanting something to do on a balmy summer evening in Dingwall.

1 minute ago, Staggie52 said:

I'd have preferred a pay what you like version, kids go free, with the proceeds going to the local food bank, a couple of quid going to charity should still be attractive to people wanting something to do on a balmy summer evening in Dingwall.

It'd be a bit of an afterthought given they've already made the announcement but surely they could still do something like that on the charity side of things, just have folk with buckets at the turnstiles?

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Last home game of the season against Hamilton will be free to all fans. Let's see if someone will complain.

Not fair on those like me who have paid for a season ticket. The club have been informed of my displeasure. 

49 minutes ago, Defender said:

Well at least if teams do come sniffing at Boyce they'll need to cough up some good money for him.

Stevie May was something like £800,000.  Boyce won't be far off that kind of fee - if it wasn't for the club's softly-softly approach to players who want to leave, I'd have said they should be looking for something in excess of that.

15 hours ago, tintax said:

Not fair on those like me who have paid for a season ticket. The club have been informed of my displeasure. 

How much money do you stand to lose against paying at the gate over the course of the season?

I wondered why Boyce was taken off so early, but I reckon it must have been to give Dow a chance to play with Curran up top.  I think the team for Motherwell picks itself in that respect, with Davies coming back into the centre of defence, Naismith to right-wing back, Gardyne to the left and Dow closer to Curran.

The best thing about last night IMO was how hard Curran worked, even by his standards.  Maybe we really are seeing him back to better health now.

12 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I wondered why Boyce was taken off so early, but I reckon it must have been to give Dow a chance to play with Curran up top.  I think the team for Motherwell picks itself in that respect, with Davies coming back into the centre of defence, Naismith to right-wing back, Gardyne to the left and Dow closer to Curran.

The best thing about last night IMO was how hard Curran worked, even by his standards.  Maybe we really are seeing him back to better health now.

From what Google Translate tells me, Boyce said post match his back seized up in addition to his calf, and he may even have mentioned that he was struggling after about 20 minutes.  I suspect if he hadn't been on a hat-trick, he'd have come off at half time.  

That said, I'd be amazed if the Motherwell team is different from what you've mentioned, even although I kind of dread the 3 at the back.

Edited by Savage Henry

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I kind of dread the 3 at the back.

We all dread at the back with Quinn flanked by Davies and McEveley.  However it is a different beast to three at the back built on Davies in the middle and two younger players beside him. 

Don't think any other player in the league would have bothered attempting to get that back header flick from the touch line to instigate McCarts hospital pass and then Easson's meltdown. I had him as MotM, weird with Boyce scoring 4 but the goal changed the game completely.
A great bond in the team last night. Jim, in my opinion has got things back in order and should be applauded as much as the team should be

I'd be happy with Naisy/Davies/Fraser with big Kenny and Midge or whoever as wingbacks. Naismith and Fraser give us a little extra pace at the back which we really struggle with if Jay and Quinn play.

Stevie May was something like £800,000.  Boyce won't be far off that kind of fee - if it wasn't for the club's softly-softly approach to players who want to leave, I'd have said they should be looking for something in excess of that.

Was two £400k installments, a 20% sell on fee and there was also a fee for him earning a cap but that was never confirmed.

Realistically County should be asking near on £1.5m

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Realistically County should be asking near on £1.5m

Oh absolutely. There's a case to be made that Boyce is the best striker in the division - put him in the current Celtic team and he would have 30+ goals.

I'm a tad concerned that County won't play hardball in any transfer negotiations. He's worth seven figures but after Irvine's departure, what if there's a paltry release clause?

6 hours ago, humbleheart said:

Don't think any other player in the league would have bothered attempting to get that back header flick from the touch line to instigate McCarts hospital pass and then Easson's meltdown. I had him as MotM, weird with Boyce scoring 4 but the goal changed the game completely.
A great bond in the team last night. Jim, in my opinion has got things back in order and should be applauded as much as the team should be

Curran was very impressive indeed.

Have to agree that Jim and Billy should get some credit for where they have got the team now, despite the frustrations of much of the season. 

My highland friends, how is big Naisy getting on for you guys since leaving the buddies? Seen him mentioned a few times and he's looked comfortable on the TV games. What's your guys verdict?