The General Ross County Chat Thread

Interesting tidbits on our injured players.  Sounds like Ben Paton has played his last game and won’t be fit till November anyway.  Callachan must have ruptured his ligament, because he’s not coming back any time soon.  From reading between the lines, William Akio is currently hurt but is on the way out anyway.  

https://twitter.com/jailender/status/1676834315777212417?s=46&t=ZUOVM9P_-8piaqPT67nH1A

Edited by Savage Henry

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Clach also has us down to play a Friendly on the 14th, which I'll imagine will be the youth prospects since the 1st team play the following day.

I’m hoping we sign another 1 or 2 before then and they play vs clach as they probably won’t have “gelled” in time to be in the league cup squad

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Surely we are not going to go into the season without a new CB?  Or is Purrington taking that place now.

Even if purrington does take a cb slot we are still badly short there

Jack Baldwin being the only “senior” centre half

I like Dylan smith but he should only be 4th choice at this moment in time , was impressed with Connell Ewan but again he should only be 5th choice

If purrington is a cb then we need 2 more signings there , if he’s not then we need 3 , also bare in mind we need right back cover too

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Surely we are not going to go into the season without a new CB?  Or is Purrington taking that place now.

I'd say Purrington is definitely that left sided CB, plus regardless of age, Smith is definitely a 1st team CB, this'll be a big season for him. What was the old saying, if you're good enough, you're old enough, something like that anyway. I think Baldwin, Randall & Purrington will coach him through a lot of situations, as senior pros should.

I'm pretty sure we'll reinforce the CB position with another signing, plenty of time for that to happen though.

Going by Transfermarkt he played three different positions on loan for Stockport in 2023: right-back in a flat four, right-centre-back in a back three, and right wing-back.

The squad seems built for the 3-5-2 system again, which makes me wonder where Jay Henderson fits into the equation. 

8 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Going by Transfermarkt he played three different positions on loan for Stockport in 2023: right-back in a flat four, right-centre-back in a back three, and right wing-back.

The squad seems built for the 3-5-2 system again, which makes me wonder where Jay Henderson fits into the equation. 

In a 4-3–3 with Sims when the 3-5-2 gets chucked?   Still a centre back short, I reckon.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

In a 4-3–3 with Sims when the 3-5-2 gets chucked? 

With three, maybe four centre-forwards on the bench.

There's an argument for an asymmetrical 4-4-2 (Dhanda roaming from the left of a midfield four, Henderson keeping width on the right), but I don't see it happening

6 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Get up! Get on up. The hardest working defender in the country I’m told.

From what I've been reading, James Brown was named in the team of the year in Ireland in 2021, & was captain of Drogheda United when Blackburn signed him, he turned 25 two days ago so he was a pretty young captain back then. He sounds like a versatile player & a good character. Happy with this signing 😁

8 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

With three, maybe four centre-forwards on the bench.

There's an argument for an asymmetrical 4-4-2 (Dhanda roaming from the left of a midfield four, Henderson keeping width on the right), but I don't see it happening

The Edwards role from last season will go to Henderson.  

21 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

From what I've been reading, James Brown was named in the team of the year in Ireland in 2021, & was captain of Drogheda United when Blackburn signed him, he turned 25 two days ago so he was a pretty young captain back then. He sounds like a versatile player & a good character. Happy with this signing 😁

Yeah, looks like a belter of a signing from the outset.

I remember his name, and thinking he was class, when looking at right backs a few years back.

Got excited when we signed a James Brown just to realise it was the wrong one.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I remember his name, and thinking he was class, when looking at right backs a few years back.

Got excited when we signed a James Brown just to realise it was the wrong one.

Very oddly, it’s precisely what County need.