Things You Learned Today

17 hours ago, Venti said:

Here's a channel I watch.

Essentially a "TIL"

https://www.youtube.com/c/Todayifoundout-official

I absolutely hate that lad. Hate him, hate him, hate him.

And his accent seems to vary wildly from borderline geezer to posh as f**k in different videos.

I don't know why I despise him so, but I really, really, really do.

And breathe.

25 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

British writer perhaps? In Chicago the train lines are just named after colors and there’s a Brown Line. You’d think that’d get called the skidmark if it was in the local parlance, but I’ve never heard it. It’s open day at the school this morning, I can ask my kid’s new teacher. 

Always thought if the Strata Building was in Scotland it would be nicknamed "The Fanny Tower"

See the source image

Your mind processes unfamiliar letters to be the thing that looks most similar - Icelandic's the best example as you say, as when we see a -ð in a word we automatically think it's a -d rather than the soft -th sound in "that".
The disappearance of yogh - it looked a bit like the tailed -z some people use so as it fell into disuse people started pronouncing it that way - now means Scotland's full of McKenzies who are pronouncing their own name wrong - some, but not all people called Menzies have kept the old pronunciation, but McKenzies have universally discarded the original "McKenyie" pronunciation.
Another letter that fell into disuse even earlier was wynn...it was the original -w sound in English based on the rune ᚹ, but by the early middle ages had been replaced by two -u's, and hence why we pronounce the letter "double-u"

MacKenna and MacKinnie abound. I'd be surprised if they're not from the MacKenzie clan.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

And his accent seems to vary wildly from borderline geezer to posh as f**k in different videos.

And breathe.

He epitomises the kind of jumped up, self obsessed arrogant 'expat' w****r you find stinking out various European capitals. Playing out a manufactured role for the benefit of an American/International audience, (incompetently) reading from a script he knows nothing about. Desperately trying to portray some kind of upper-class background yet obviously having roots in somewhere like Bolton.

*Things that get right on my tits thread for this rant.

13 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

He epitomises the kind of jumped up, self obsessed arrogant 'expat' w****r you find stinking out various European capitals. Playing out a manufactured role for the benefit of an American/International audience, (incompetently) reading from a script he knows nothing about. Desperately trying to portray some kind of upper-class background yet obviously having roots in somewhere like Bolton.

*Things that get right on my tits thread for this rant.

Can't disagree with any of that.

Also that I saw a few of his videos on things that I actually know about and they were riddled with errors, meaning I'm assuming all of his videos are full of shite, which just makes his fucking inane language and overly dramatic or dismissive tones of voice all the more irritating.

A proper bellend's bellend.

8 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

And breathe.

Holy f**k, that accent. I've never seen any of the guys stuff before and can say with absolute certainty now that I never will. Lasted about 20secs into the Hello Fresh spiel and fucked it straight back off. Insufferable. 

On 18/08/2022 at 17:12, tamthebam said:

Old English had a letter that looked a bit like a "p" called Thorn which stood for "th". Icelandic I think still has the letter. Typesetters substituted the letter y for thorn as it was the closest looking letter in the Latin alphabet 

The Scots surname Menzies is pronounced properly "Mingiss" as the Z stands in for a letter in Old Scots called "yogh"

…courtesy of Wikipedia…

Thorn or þorn (Þ, þ) is a letter in the Old English, Gothic, Old Norse, Old Swedish, and modern Icelandic alphabets, as well as Middle Scots and some dialects of Middle English. It was also used in medieval Scandinavia, but was later replaced with the digraph th, except in Iceland, where it survives. The letter originated from the rune  in the Elder Fuþark and was called thorn in the Anglo-Saxon and thorn or thurs in the Scandinavian rune poems. It is similar in appearance to the archaic Greek letter sho (ϸ), although the two are historically unrelated. The only language þ is still currently in use in is Icelandic.[1]

On 19/08/2022 at 11:08, VincentGuerin said:

And breathe.

I know what you mean, but his videos are normally quite interesting, so I find myself watching them. He just reads out other people's work, however, so doesn't deserve much credit for that. Simon Whistler's his name. He literally has dozens of different channels that he either runs or works for, and has a subReddit dedicated to him.

It's quite staggering the things he'll admit to never having heard about, or words that he'll make an absolute c**t of pronouncing. I swear he admitted to never having heard of Dundee once; one of those folk that seem quite proud of their own ignorance. Doesn't seem to put any prep work in at all.