Things You Learned Today

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd often wondered why marmalade was called that other than just 'orange jam', and now I know:

I always understood it was because sailors would have it at sea as it was good for seasickness.  Mar being French for sea and Malade being French for sickness.  Turns out this is bollocks as French for sea is Mer, not Mar which I already knew. 

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I always understood it was because sailors would have it at sea as it was good for seasickness.  Mar being French for sea and Malade being French for sickness.  Turns out this is bollocks as French for sea is Mer, not Mar which I already knew. 

Probably still correct, and resulting from someone making a grammatical misunderstanding at some point in history, a la Dumbarton in Dunbartonshire.

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

It was originally Orange Jam, but the Labelles objected that the song title didn't sound cool enough. And so Lady Orange Jam became Lady Marmalade, and orange jam manufacturers across the world adopted this. 

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

However Scousers would be convinced of that rational.

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

There is a Scots legend that it was named after Mary Queen of Scots. She was ill and someone gave her orange jam which made her better. "Marie malade" in French means "Mary's ill". 

If you go to Avebury (older than Stonehenge, free, and you can go right up to the stones) then you find that some archaeology in the 1920s was paid for by a descendant of the Keillor family of Dundee, famous for marmalade. There's a pub in the middle of the stone circle too. It served a no bad pint what I remember. 

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

It was originally Orange Jam, but the Labelles objected that the song title didn't sound cool enough. And so Lady Orange Jam became Lady Marmalade, and orange jam manufacturers across the world adopted this. 

Cunk on food?

6 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Just realised Germany also play in purple.

( I thought Hungary were doing really well)

I made this schoolboy error as well.

Cheered a Germany goal.

A double schoolboy error, when I thought it through, as obviously a Germany win was good for Scotland.

Just stop my drink.

14 hours ago, scottsdad said:

'Things you made up' thread for this pish.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

'Things you made up' thread for this pish.

To be fair, half of what I post is just made up pish. 

Now, I'm away back to my hot tub party with the surviving members of Little Mix. 

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

To be fair, pretty much all of what I post is just made up pish. 

Now, I'm away back to my hot tub party with the surviving members of Little Mix. 

FTFY.

On 21/06/2024 at 07:53, Peil said:

He's got his own name tattooed on his upper arm.  How odd.

His real name is Bill Bailey.  He must have thought about the tattoo when he opted for a shorter stage name.