Murder in a Small Town

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

Did he not burn a load of his clothes? 

My recollection is that his mother burned it in the back garden.

A quick search confirms this via the bastion of truth that is the daily record.

On 31/08/2022 at 14:00, TxRover said:

Sounds a lot like a number of cases over here where the prosecution may have withheld exculpatory evidence in order to simply get a conviction of anyone. Of course, it’s also perfectly possible he’s guilty as sin, but after a bunch of people getting cleared 20-40 years after the crime, I look with a wee bit of concern about cases like this…especially when the prosecutors/police ramble on about more evidence we didn’t reveal/use, etc.

Check out the Innocence Project for ideas on how low some prosecutors and police will stoop, maybe the UK has a similar group?

All evidence including potentially exculpatory evidence must be disclosed in cases, it’s all recorded on something called a disclosure schedule. 

11 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

All evidence including potentially exculpatory evidence must be disclosed in cases, it’s all recorded on something called a disclosure schedule. 

Yep, that’s the theory/law, but as we’ve seen for decades, it isn’t always done. There is a nasty little tendency to “forget” to include a few “small items” when you know it will make convicting the “right” person easier…as I said, check the Innocence Project. The fact is prosecutorial malfeasance is far from a U.S. only trend, and police “shading” of the investigation and “enthusiastic interrogation” of suspects is worldwide.

https://www.law.ac.uk/about/press-releases/wrongful-convictions/

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Yep, that’s the theory/law, but as we’ve seen for decades, it isn’t always done. There is a nasty little tendency to “forget” to include a few “small items” when you know it will make convicting the “right” person easier…as I said, check the Innocence Project. The fact is prosecutorial malfeasance is far from a U.S. only trend, and police “shading” of the investigation and “enthusiastic interrogation” of suspects is worldwide.

https://www.law.ac.uk/about/press-releases/wrongful-convictions/

I’ve seen the full disclosure process for a significant murder trial that relied on a lot of circumstantial evidence and I really believe the disclosure process is done correctly. I cant speak for what happens in the states and the innocence project but I believe we have the right things in place where disclosure is done correctly here. You will always have the potential for human error but there are levels of cross checking and transparency that dont occur in other justice systems. 

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I’ve seen the full disclosure process for a significant murder trial that relied on a lot of circumstantial evidence and I really believe the disclosure process is done correctly. I cant speak for what happens in the states and the innocence project but I believe we have the right things in place where disclosure is done correctly here. You will always have the potential for human error but there are levels of cross checking and transparency that dont occur in other justice systems. 

Read the link I provided, it contradicts your belief.

45 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Read the link I provided, it contradicts your belief.

No it doesnt, im talking about Scotland. Im also not saying that under no circumstances do people who are not guilty get found guilty, but i am contesting the assertion that there arent checks and balances and that circumstantial/magicop convictions arent safe.

4 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

That's a tad misleading as Scotland has its own justice system.
For UK, read it as England and Wales.

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

No it doesnt, im talking about Scotland. Im also not saying that under no circumstances do people who are not guilty get found guilty, but i am contesting the assertion that there arent checks and balances and that circumstantial/magicop convictions arent safe.

Fair enough, but, as you admit, there are bad’uns in the system as well.

On 31/08/2022 at 16:07, Brother Blades said:

There’s no doubt that the programme was viewed from the side of Luke Mitchell, the one thing that stood out for me was absolutely no forensics linking him to Jodi or the crime scene, the fact that he had dirt under his fingernails & his hair was unwashed indicated he hadn’t washed thoroughly. Guess we will never know. 

Everyone knows he was at the crime scene because he found the body. Any forensic evidence presented could not distinguish if he was there before or after the murder.

His clothes were burned the day of the murder, he made a phone call to the speaking clock at the time Jodie was murdered, weird because his house must have a clock. A knife that he owned went missing too.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/hard-facts-prove-luke-mitchell-23588583

The 'no evidence' part of this doc is a wilful misrepresentation of the truth. 

Both prosecution and defence agreed not to present any DNA evidence at the trial, as being the case that Luke and Jodi were in a sexual relationship anything presented by either side would immediately be rubbished by the other, so it would be a pointless endeavour.

It's completely untrue that there was 'no forensic evidence'. None was presented at the trial, but not because there wasn't any found at the scene.

Personally i think it was him.

the doubt cast is down to the dodgy (and completely unnecessary) tactics used in court with the marlyn manson and cannabis use and the general painting of mitchell as OFTW, that should never have happened and the fact that it was allowed in a Scottish court in the 21st century is a bit worrying.

it doesn’t matter if its a christian doctor and community volunteer or a satan worshipping serial womaniser with a nazi fetish, either the evidence says you committed the crime or it doesn’t  

40 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Let's just say locking up folk that listen to Marlyn Manson is no bad thing, I'm sure if we locked them all up, we would find a few bad ones in the net!

Pretty sure that doing the same those who listen to hymns or “Christian” rock would score better.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:
3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:
Let's just say locking up folk that listen to Marlyn Manson is no bad thing, I'm sure if we locked them all up, we would find a few bad ones in the net!

Probably get a better hit rate rounding up folk who try to emigrate to South East Asia.

Mobile DJs.

Given the media frenzy and how they immediately portrayed him as the killer from the first minute, mitchell had absolutely no chance of a neutral, unbiased jury for his trial

Wether he did it or not it will never be known 100% probably, but lets not kid ourselves that when the jury was selected they didn't already have an opinion on him