Been on a trip abroad solo?

Ylf

37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I spent a while in South East Asia alone after travelling with friends for a few months. They were going to Australia to work and I didn't want to work and didn't have enough money to travel there so I stayed in Asia until my cash ran out. It was great, it's very easy to find people to drink with at night on the backpacker trail if you're staying in a hostel.

A timely reminder to avoid spending nights in South-East Asian hostels

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

When I was in the region there were almost no hostels (think I stayed in one in Hanoi and that was it) as you could get a double room in a hotel for about £1.50.

It was guest houses rather than actual hostels. I didn't stay in any dorms. 

Reykjavik is the only place I've been in a dorm, it's not much fun.

Always wanted to go to Naples but the mrs doesn’t fancy it I’m thinking of going on my own for a long weekend or so. She says she couldn’t go on her own and it’s a bit sad what is the thoughts of the good people in here? Would you travel solo yay or nay

Let’s get this straight. You’ve told your mrs that you’ve always wanted to go to Naples, she says she doesn’t fancy it and then makes you feel bad for pursuing your dream alone? That is shite chat. Go to Naples, man. There’s nothing weird about solo travelling at all. Unless you’re an introvert you’ll probably meet new people as well, because you’ll probably make more effort to chat to folk than you would if you went as a couple. Make sure you send your mrs loads of pics of the sights, the food etc as a GIRUY.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

After the AZ game I stayed on in Amsterdam from Friday to Monday on my own.

Not my choice as I had lost my passport but absolutely class nonetheless.

30 degree heat, beers by the canal, some train trips to the Hague and Leiden.

I just to text the wife each day to say what a horrible time I was having without her. 

Amsterdam…..trips to The Hague and that…. f**k off. You’re among friends here, you can tell the truth. Hookers and weed. 

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Amsterdam…..trips to The Hague and that…. f**k off. You’re among friends here, you can tell the truth. Hookers and weed. 

You can get weed anywhere and I haven't been back to De Wallen since I was 18 and went to a live sex show and they brought an alsatian on stage. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

I only did it once to Berlin when I worked through Christmas and new year so fancied doing something when everyone disappears in January so got a flight for buttons. I should have made more touristy plans as I just ended up trying too much German beer but reading this thread has made want to try a solo break again.

25 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
31 minutes ago, virginton said:

There is a middle ground between fun and not fun though. Not like you to only see the extremes of an argument.

There's really no middle ground - you're sharing a bedroom with strangers snoring and folk trying to shag each other. Unless you're a voyeur (see post above) then it's unquestionably a tolerate not enjoyable experience. 

Went over to Spain on my own during Covid. Brilliant. Tourist spots like the Borgia's house in Gandia were totally deserted - I paid the lassie at the door then had the place to myself. Restaurants were very quiet so getting a table at the good ones was no problem. Down side was as mentioned earlier, no-one to share it with.  Apart from that, I wish we could have a global pandemic every year. 

There's really no middle ground - you're sharing a bedroom with strangers snoring and folk trying to shag each other.

In my experience those situations are far from the norm. Perhaps if you stay at party hostels in Budapest, Berlin or Belgrade but the majority of my dorm nights have passed undisturbed.

8 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

In my experience those situations are far from the norm. Perhaps if you stay at party hostels in Budapest, Berlin or Belgrade but the majority of my dorm nights have passed undisturbed.

News of Diego Diego's booking filters through to the other guests.

morning-huge-room-empty-hostel-beds-students-young-tourists-tbilisi-georgia-oct-october-annual-96829659.jpg

Travelled alone many times.

I've been to Japan, Israel, Ukraine, Switzerland and a few other places. I never would have visited them if I'd sat around waiting for other people. 

Imagine growing old and wishing that you'd been to Japan but never did because nobody else would go with you. Now that would be fucking sad.

The only potential downside of solo travel is that while there's always plenty to do during the day, unless you do a wee bit of research beforehand it could easily be a case of nothing to do at night but sit and get pished. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that, but after a few nights you get a bit CBA with doing it again.

Any time I've done it I always tried to tie in at least one gig or football game...most successful one I managed was one time I had to be in Copenhagen for work and decided to stay on there for a few days afterwards because I'd never been there previously.

I went on a Danish ticketing site to check out who was playing while I was there...scored one for an Alice Cooper/Dio double bil at the KB Halle, and then noticed the Eurovision Song Contest was on at the Parken stadium.

I couldn't NOT go.

Best of all, I suppose because I'd booked a single ticket from abroad, they stuck me in the VIP section at the front where every seat had a goodie bag that had a bunch of free beer tokens for the bar at the side of the stage which was populated by supermodels, guys who I'm guessing were local TV personalities, and me stumbling about drunk.

16 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Restaurants can be a problem when travelling solo.  Sometime the waiters ignore you because they assume you are early and the rest of your party has not arrived yet.  When the waiter asks you if you want to order a drink, tell them you want to order food as well.  It catches them out but it works.

On the plus side, people on their own eat quicker so you might get a table where a couple or a group would not.

Also they have no way of knowing if you might be a food critic in disguise!

I travelled alone on business a lot in the past and really never encountered any confusion over my intentions to eat and drink alone.  

Travelling alone is great fun. In another life I went to Australia on my own, worked and met folk there who I travelled around with for a bit. Left them and went to NZ on my own, met more folk. Went to back to Australia to meet up with the first lot then headed up to SE Asia with one of them, they went home and I stayed on for a bit. Always have a book to read and you will be fine...

1 hour ago, Baggio said:

Travelling alone is great fun. In another life I went to Australia on my own, worked and met folk there who I travelled around with for a bit. Left them and went to NZ on my own, met more folk. Went to back to Australia to meet up with the first lot then headed up to SE Asia with one of them, they went home and I stayed on for a bit. Always have a book to read and you will be fine...

It doesn't sound like you actually were alone after all