Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

I get the impression that this kind of cultural puff is more to do with journalists assuming that what they're doing at dinner parties with their pals in North London reflects greater trends across the nation, because they are the centre of the universe. Organisations like Sky and the BBC regularly choosing to publish (or commission) this keich? Aye, that's brainwashing.

Anyway, this polling is interesting as I'm sure I remember support for the monarchy being about 50/50 in Scotland back in the Nineties, less than anywhere else in the UK. It also implies that a good solid chunk of Unionists are at least ambivalent about remaining subjects of a family because of magic blood. Nice.

I just noticed that on the BBC website. "People watching the Coronation will be invited to join a "chorus of millions" to swear allegiance to the King and his heirs, organisers say."

I know there's been a lot of comparisons to totalitarian regimes like North Korea lately, but fucking hell.

11 hours ago, BTFD said:

Anyway, this polling is interesting as I'm sure I remember support for the monarchy being about 50/50 in Scotland back in the Nineties, less than anywhere else in the UK. It also implies that a good solid chunk of Unionists are at least ambivalent about remaining subjects of a family because of magic blood. Nice.

I remember some bizarre one off ITV debate show in the mid 90s about the future of the monarchy. The phone poll showed Scotland as the only area wanting rid of them.

9 hours ago, BTFD said:

I just noticed that on the BBC website. "People watching the Coronation will be invited to join a "chorus of millions" to swear allegiance to the King and his heirs, organisers say."

I know there's been a lot of comparisons to totalitarian regimes like North Korea lately, but fucking hell.

I know the rational response is to just mind my own business and ignore this pish. But it really makes me so fucking angry. 

Why aren’t people more angry? 

10 hours ago, BTFD said:

The impartial BBC have carelessly forgot to include any dissenting opinions in that article.

On 28/04/2023 at 09:47, Bairnardo said:

Once again.....

Imagine being an adult on this earth, and recognising the legitimacy of "Royalty".

Both cringe as f**k, and cast iron proof that humans are barely above sheep in their unquestioning herd mentality. 

And just when you think the country cant doff and cowtow any more along pops this absolute Minter.....

BBC News - Coronation: Public asked to swear allegiance to King Charles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

I remember some bizarre one off ITV debate show in the mid 90s about the future of the monarchy. The phone poll showed Scotland as the only area wanting rid of them.

Hosted by Alistair "hic" Stewart. I always remember it having the aggressive title of "Do You Want a Monarchy?", which conjures up images of a wee-lubricated Stewart offering someone out for not being deferential enough.

Sadly, it was apparently called Monarchy: The Nation Decides, although I do remember the vague "shit, we didn't expect this" consternation in the studio when Scotland narrowly voted Naw.

26 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Hosted by Alistair "hic" Stewart. I always remember it having the aggressive title of "Do You Want a Monarchy?", which conjures up images of a wee-lubricated Stewart offering someone out for not being deferential enough.

Sadly, it was apparently called Monarchy: The Nation Decides, although I do remember the vague "shit, we didn't expect this" consternation in the studio when Scotland narrowly voted Naw.

That was it cheers.

I didn't remember it being held in front of an audience of 3000 at the NEC though 😮

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/monarchy-should-go-says-a-third-of-tv-poll-1282117.html

I honestly thought that once the Queen died it'd be the beginning of the end of the monarchy. It just seems to be going from strength to strength with no one batting an eyelid about Camilla getting a 'Queen' style title and this mental vow they're wanting people to chant.

The UK is fucking mental.