Obscure Foods You Have Seen or Tried.

jagfox

11 minutes ago, jagfox said:

What local delicacies have you tried on your travels or here in Scotland?

Any that turned your stomach or one's you have since created at home?

Saw this today on a social media feed.

Philippines- Fertilised Duck eggs.

Not for me.

Thank you.

Was at my old boys in Manilla and we went out on his pals stag, they made the boy eat one in a strip club. It had the start of feathers, a beak, claws and eyes. We went to a "restaurant" and the two drivers had monitor lizard and boa constrictor.

E.t.a I had the wild boar, and I shit you not you could hear them slaughtering the beast out the back.

Edited by HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows

16 minutes ago, jagfox said:

What local delicacies have you tried on your travels or here in Scotland?

Any that turned your stomach or one's you have since created at home?

Saw this today on a social media feed.

Philippines- Fertilised Duck eggs.

Not for me.

Thank you.

Bull penis soup, sheep brain, snake in various forms, congealed blood, pickled poultry feet whilst travelling around China. Plus also cockroaches & crickets.

Guinea pig when in Peru.

sha_in.jpg

57 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Currently sitting in a Morrisons cafe waiting for my order to arrive. I knew I shouldn’t have opened this thread. 

Awaiting the pics with interest...

1 hour ago, Elric said:

Some interesting stuff in Cambodia - fertilsed duck, pigs brains and intestines, crickets, locusts, tarantulas and some others. Not bad when you put it out your head what you were eating.IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.7eec770fb5d29f90fa3cd31fa1a54283.JPG

Had some of this shit some time back and they tasted like Frazzles.

I've seen whale meat for sale in the big supermarket in Torshavn. Likewise that hakarl fermented shark stuff in Iceland...a lot of traditional Icelandic cuisine seems to have been inspired by a combination of starvation and Viking I-dare-you-to-eat-this.

There used to be a lot of weird stuff on the go in Kublai Khan Mongolian BBQ in Glasgow - I've tried shark, snake, ostrich and zebra there.

19 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I've seen whale meat for sale in the big supermarket in Torshavn. Likewise that hakarl fermented shark stuff in Iceland...a lot of traditional Icelandic cuisine seems to have been inspired by a combination of starvation and Viking I-dare-you-to-eat-this.

There used to be a lot of weird stuff on the go in Kublai Khan Mongolian BBQ in Glasgow - I've tried shark, snake, ostrich and zebra there.

Aye, the Mongolian Munchy Box, I had that...I had to ask for chips though 

I had some whale sashimi and smoked whale in Iceland. Best meat I've ever tasted. Get the Minkies back on the menu, there are probably more of them than there are cod anyway.

Chinese people I know tend to order chicken feet any time I am at a restaurant with them in China. I suspect it's to see if I will actually eat it and they are secretly laughing up their sleeves about my predicament:

chicken-feet-delicatessen-snack-china-fo

I was working In Japan for a few years and Japanese colleagues did something similar with natto (fermented beans):

natto-s2142970871.jpg?2022&d=750x400

Very much an acquired taste that even many Japanese people prefer to avoid. Actually found it not bad and made a point of eating it pretty much every day as shown above with hachi (chopsticks) from then on to show I was more hard core about Japanese culinary culture than they were. Was told they tried this again with an American guy after I had left and made lots of approving comments to him about the Scottish guy who ate it every day. He never went back to the cafeteria after that apparently.