Obscure Foods You Have Seen or Tried.

jagfox

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

There used to be a lot of weird stuff on the go in Kublai Khan Mongolian BBQ in Glasgow - I've tried shark, snake, ostrich and zebra there.

Sounds a bit like 'Tonic' on the Perth Rd in Dundee. They'll burger anything in there. Kangaroo a favourite.

I once had worm soup in China. It was stretching things to call it soup - basically worms in warm, greasy water. 

Again in China but at the other end of the menu spectrum I was served something specially prepared for the Western palate. It was s deep fried vegetable fritter which would have been nice had in not been dipped and coated in 100s and 1000s. Still better than the worm soup though.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Sounds a bit like 'Tonic' on the Perth Rd in Dundee. They'll burger anything in there. Kangaroo a favourite.

Aye, they did that too...I've never been convinced that at least some of the things on their menu weren't substitutions...their wild boar tasted suspiciously like normal pork and that shark was more than likely dogfish.

This was like a self serve gaff where you picked the meats, took a bunch of spices to your taste and they'd flash fry it with rice while you waited. The only one that was truly bowfing was the zebra...I'd assumed it would be much the same as horse meat which I actually like, but it was rank.

10 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I’ve seen  (not like that, before anyone starts) spit-roasted guinea pigs on food stalls at the big market in Otavalo, Ecuador. Whole thing on a skewer, head, feet, the lot. I was quite glad to be a vegetablist that day. 

I had one of those little critters in Peru, with some flaky potatoes.  It tasted like chicken - a poor man's chicken.

Also had alpaca in Peru - a poor man's mutton.

Whale in Iceland and Norway - magnificent, a rich man's beef steak.

And I had puffin in Iceland - didn't really taste like anything else, but it was almost black and wasn't great.

33 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I had one of those little critters in Peru, with some flaky potatoes.  It tasted like chicken - a poor man's chicken.

To be fair to them, the Peruvians do know their way round a spud. The chili cheese sauce they do should be bottled and sold by the gallon. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

To be fair to them, the Peruvians do know their way round a spud. The chili cheese sauce they do should be bottled and sold by the gallon. 

I spent the night with a local family on an island on Lake Titicaca.  Their evening meal was a large bowl of boiled potatoes.  Without sauce, without seasoning, every night. 

Titi or Mutton bird is an NZ delicacy.  Muttonbird or mutton bird may refer to species of petrel, especially shearwaters, whose young are harvested for food and other uses before they fledge in Australia and New Zealand.  They taste like kippers bizarrely.

Also had crocodile, alligator, kangaroo (incredibly good steak, very lean), ostrich (tastes like beef), springbok, zebra and whole cuttle fish cooked in its own ink.

Jellied Eels : Bethnal green

an awful lot of bones around not very much meat that isn’t all that good anyway. Basically the same as Chinese style chicken feet but significantly worse

Strange Easter Soup: Greece 

apparently this is what you eat on Saturday night before Easter Sunday in Greece. It’s made of kidneys, lungs and other stuff you don’t ask about. My hostess was aware that it’s an acquired taste that foreigners don’t appreciate and made it clear that I didn’t have to partake but she didn’t realise that she was basically offering me liquid haggis