Obscure Foods You Have Seen or Tried.

jagfox

Pigs brains eggs and potatoes in Alabama one time, brains were salty and nothing I'd want to try again really.

Went to a burger joint in Durham North Carolina that sold tarantula burgers but you had to book it 24 hours in advance.

tarantula burger

23 hours ago, jagfox said:

What local delicacies have you tried on your travels or here in Scotland?

Any that turned your stomach or one's you have since created at home?

Saw this today on a social media feed.

Philippines- Fertilised Duck eggs.

Not for me.

Thank you.

Balut (your fertilised Duck eggs) - Around me they it on all the local stalls - almost never see anyone buy one and I've never eaten one nor has my wife who was brought up in the Philippines.  I guess there must be plenty of folk who do though otherwise they wouldn't be so freely available.

Other "delicacies" here are some bogging dish made with pigs blood and ice cream with shredded cheese.  Even their spaghetti is sweeter  then we would like.  There are many reasons to visit the Philippines but the food isn't one of them.  

I have to say though that when I describe haggis to them they are disgusted so one man's meat and all that.

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Balut (your fertilised Duck eggs) - Around me they it on all the local stalls - almost never see anyone buy one and I've never eaten one nor has my wife who was brought up in the Philippines.  I guess there must be plenty of folk who do though otherwise they wouldn't be so freely available.

Other "delicacies" here are some bogging dish made with pigs blood and ice cream with shredded cheese.  Even their spaghetti is sweeter  then we would like.  There are many reasons to visit the Philippines but the food isn't one of them.  

I have to say though that when I describe haggis to them they are disgusted so one man's meat and all that.

Are the eggs more of a nighttime thing akin to kebabs over here?

Is it Philippine folk that love ketchup on everything?

I remember my Papa, when a taxi driver, befriended some Iranian folk over working back in the 80s and they had ketchup in everything even some desserts. I don't know if it was just new and they got a sugar hit or if they just liked things sweeter overall. 

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Pigs brains eggs and potatoes in Alabama one time, brains were salty and nothing I'd want to try again really.

Went to a burger joint in Durham North Carolina that sold tarantula burgers but you had to book it 24 hours in advance.

tarantula burger

@KnightswoodBear

9 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Are the eggs more of a nighttime thing akin to kebabs over here?

Is it Philippine folk that love ketchup on everything?

I remember my Papa, when a taxi driver, befriended some Iranian folk over working back in the 80s and they had ketchup in everything even some desserts. I don't know if it was just new and they got a sugar hit or if they just liked things sweeter overall. 

I've been here 7 years and only ever saw one guy eating one - an American kid who was here on holiday and wanted to try it.  As I say, all the food stalls have them but I have no idea who buys them, or when. 

They love sweet stuff here but they don't particularly use ketchup any more than the average.  That said, the definitely do mix some strange stuff as i mentioned with the cheese in ice cream.  For lunch today my wife was eating what was pretty close to a small bridie but the pastry was very, very sweet.  I was pissed off because it looked great until I bit into it.  I don't like to appear like the typical Brit abroad turning his nose up at different food but here it's either very nice or not very nice, there is little middle-ground.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I've been here 7 years and only ever saw one guy eating one - an American kid who was here on holiday and wanted to try it.  As I say, all the food stalls have them but I have no idea who buys them, or when. 

They love sweet stuff here but they don't particularly use ketchup any more than the average.  That said, the definitely do mix some strange stuff as i mentioned with the cheese in ice cream.  For lunch today my wife was eating what was pretty close to a small bridie but the pastry was very, very sweet.  I was pissed off because it looked great until I bit into it.  I don't like to appear like the typical Brit abroad turning his nose up at different food but here it's either very nice or not very nice, there is little middle-ground.

What's the local stuff you like? 🤔 

9 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

tarantula burger

For fucking f**k sake. What is wrong with folk?

Still looks better than Burger King though. 

9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Cheese ice cream is great. Mascarpone & ricotta etc.

Cheddar - not so much.

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

What's the local stuff you like? 🤔 

The usual stuff, pizza, pasta, fried chicken, burgers etc!

Seriously - the lechon (roasted pork) is excellent; Pansit which is a chicken/ pork dish with veg and noodles; Adobo - a stew with chicken/pork and potato and carrots; Chicken inasal - basically BBQ chicken; Liempo which is pork belly BBQ; Kare-kare which is a peanut sauce with meat of some description; Lumpia which are a kind of spring roll; Sinigang which is a soup and Sisig which is a kind of minced beef with veggies dish.  The other day we had batchoy which is a soup with a whole egg (cooked unlike that Balut shite) and crispy pork skin and noodles and various veggies.

Actually, there are a fair few tasty dishes now I think about it but that thing of adding sweet flavourings to savoury stuff really gets to me.  

Just now, Venti said:

I know, I googled it.

Isn't Jollibee any good?

It's cheaper than its American rivals - and it shows! Portion sizes are small and the general quality is a level below McDos and BK or KFC.  I'm not  a food snob (no surprise there I know) and like those chains once every other week or so but we only have Jollibee when there is no alternative.  And they serve almost sweet spaghetti!  It's always a downer when the young lad gets invited to a kids party and it's Jollibee rather than McDonalds etc.

There are plenty of them around the world but If you go you will see that after the initial buzz of a new fast food joint dies down, the customers are mainly Filipinos and that's why they only really set up in cities where there is a reasonable Filipino population.  I know there's one in Edinburgh but no idea how well it does.