Ben Doak

Gordopolis

3 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Wowee Liverpool have been rotten so far. Wee Doaky not really had a sniff. 

A couple of good runs early on, then dispossessed a couple of times but yeah Liverpool have been utterly stinking. 

He hasn’t given the ball away constantly like several others - so probably one of the better performers so far but it isn’t exactly a high bar. 

You just know he will be subbed before Diaz and Nunez though, despite both being horrible so far. A special mention to Tsimikas, who has been especially bad. 

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Has anyone clipped up a Twitter video yet?

Not much to clip, but not really his fault - Liverpool as a whole were stinking that first half.

They’ve got themselves a hell of a player in Szoboszlai though - he looks like a marathon running variant of De Bruyne.

Not sure if Doak will be called up for the October squad which is announced next week. His game time has been okay: 65 mins in a Europa League game and 65 mins in an EFL cup game. He is on the cusp and a particularly good period at club level would surely see him called up, but in my opinion since the September window I wouldn't say he's done enough to take someone else's place in the squad.

Liverpool play away to Tottenham which is his last chance to impress so maybe if he were to be called into the squad it would be along the lines of continuing to show there's a pathway or perhaps he might benefit from a larger squad as we have two away games and a good length between the Spain and France matches to train with the senior team.

I watched his 65 minutes this morning and thought it was an improvement from LASK. As mentioned by @No_Problemo, he linked up well with Elliott and Jones down the right and pressed well often as part of a front two with Gakpo. Elliott and Jones rotated a lot so Doak had to adjust his position accordingly, but he looked at his best when isolated against Justin. He's gonna need to develop more than a couple of step-overs in those situations though. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Not sure if Doak will be called up for the October squad which is announced next week. His game time has been okay: 65 mins in a Europa League game and 65 mins in an EFL cup game. He is on the cusp and a particularly good period at club level would surely see him called up, but in my opinion since the September window I wouldn't say he's done enough to take someone else's place in the squad.

Liverpool play away to Tottenham which is his last chance to impress so maybe if he were to be called into the squad it would be along the lines of continuing to show there's a pathway or perhaps he might benefit from a larger squad as we have two away games and a good length between the Spain and France matches to train with the senior team.

Over the last couple of weeks, he has probably done more than Anderson had before getting called into the squad. Anderson was only really getting minutes off the bench up until that point. I think he slots into that squad position quite naturally. I think there is a chance he might be in, but again happy with whatever Clarke decides. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I watched his 65 minutes this morning and thought it was an improvement from LASK. As mentioned by @No_Problemo, he linked up well with Elliott and Jones down the right and pressed well often as part of a front two with Gakpo. Elliott and Jones rotated a lot so Doak had to adjust his position accordingly, but he looked at his best when isolated against Justin. He's gonna need to develop more than a couple of step-overs in those situations though. 

I obviously hope he does develop other aspects to his dribbling, but it is very hard for anyone to deal with his sheer burst of acceleration, low centre of gravity and strength. 

He is clearly technically very good too, with some of his touches and link up - I’m hoping that first goal helps him settle down a bit too. Hopefully another start next Thursday!