Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I had a horrible episode when about 14 yr old. My auntie and uncle were going out and I was watching the house for them (aye at 14!). Think it was between Christmas and New Year and Moonraker was on the telly for the first time. My uncle asked me to tape it for him and he carefully showed me how to work the VCR. Being a smart ar*e, I decided I would switch it off during the adverts to enhance his watching only I forgot to switch it back on and missed 30 minutes or so before realising. I can still remember the disappointed look on his face when I told him when he came in. Sad time.

If only you’d forgotten to record any of it. Unfortunately you did record it, and the poor sod actually had to watch the shite that is Moonraker. 😜

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

You could create an entire paragraph around this and the ‘kids’ wouldn’t recognise any of the words - Dolby, Ferric Oxide, Binatone, buttons, cassette, C90, BASF, shut up mum I’m trying to record the charts from the radio onto a tape through this cheap microphone plugged into my slab-sized grey plastic cased Binatone cassette recorder............

This has just reminded me of 2 things :-

1. We used to have a Decca Music Centre that my folks bought with a Provident loan

decca.jpg.f10970c1cdac94a0ff57187177586f29.jpg

2. I have one of these in a cupboard......

Nakamichi.jpg.74743e60b5df45dde4412868e535dd1c.jpg

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Later Walkmans had a feature where you could fast forward a song, and it would automatically stop between songs. presumably it detected a quiet part of the tape. Revolutionary!

I had a car whose stereo had this facility.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

Ronco "....and many more!"

"I liked it so much I bought the company"

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Good shout.

And - 'pea and ham? from a chicken?'

There's always change at Agnews*.

*(Except when you had to get someone older to go in and buy your cargo, they b*****ds always kept the change).

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

You could create an entire paragraph around this and the ‘kids’ wouldn’t recognise any of the words - Dolby, Ferric Oxide, Binatone, buttons, cassette, C90, BASF, shut up mum I’m trying to record the charts from the radio onto a tape through this cheap microphone plugged into my slab-sized grey plastic cased Binatone cassette recorder, with the microphone balanced on two books, placed directly in front of the radio… paused and ready, hovering above the ‘play and record’ buttons to cut out the DJ chat, and all I can hear now is the hoover…shut up mum!..

OK, the last one is a lot of words.

Is it live or is it Memorex!

Plus…Maxell…

image.jpeg.c1ea5b071d31dd3efc637ed8b7126628.jpeg