Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are some suggesting that being religious should disbar you from being FM? I'm not sure that's the Scotland any of us should want. If you are a religious politician there will always be matters of conscience that cause significant self reflection.

I'll be interested to see how Forbes addresses the issue of her religion. She is also not the only religious candidate. With being on maternity leave she missed the GRA, you can guarantee every candidate will be asked about it by the media and at hustings. 

Is Forbes definitley going to stand?

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Regan also confirming she intends to stand

At this point it's looking like there might only be four candidates because Robertson is seemingly reluctant and I don't know if McAllan will believe she can get adequate support

If it's Humza, Keith Brown, Forbes, and Regan, then that's extremely disappointing. I will not vote for Forbes or Regan on a point of principle, Brown is bonkers, and although Humza is quite charismatic I have serious concerns about his competence.

My vote would be Robertson or McAllan if either stand, but if neither do I will have to decide whether I can seriously entertain voting for Humza, and if not it'll be an abstention. If Forbes or Regan are the new leader I'll be resigning my membership and voting Green 1st preference in SGE from now on. Fortunately my SNP Westminster MP is an all-around top lad and I will happily vote for him for as long as he is willing to continue to stand.

But isn't the point of the SNP to achieve independence and then you can pick a party after that happens based on other choices. Christ, if it's members don't get this it'll never happen 🤣

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23330975.greens-may-exit-snp-deal-kate-forbes-becomes-fm-prompting-election/ 

The Greens apparently believe they have a read on Forbes’ candidacy and making noises about pulling out of the coalition agreement. I’m not sure I believe both that they would give up that role or that Forbes would be that open on social issues etc.

@Trogdor

There's nothing about being religious that should disbar anyone from holding office. Personally, I believe politics should be entirely secular, but if people are capable of putting their own personal religion to one side and formulating policy based on the needs and wants of the majority then there should be absolutely no problem. 

The reason Forbes is a line in the sand for me isn't her religion, it's her past admission that she does not believe same-sex couples should have marriage rights, and that she is opposed to right to choose. I'm not willing to remain a member of any party that elects a leader with those views, and especially not when the party I joined posits itself as liberal and progressive. Whatever is the basis for those views, religion or otherwise, is wholly irrelevant, as it is the views themselves I find unconscionable.

If SNP members believe Forbes is the best option for Leader, she is elected FM and is a roaring success, that's fine and dandy, but I will not endorse her because I can not give my vote to someone who has views I find fundamentally objectionable.

7 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23330975.greens-may-exit-snp-deal-kate-forbes-becomes-fm-prompting-election/ 

The Greens apparently believe they have a read on Forbes’ candidacy and making noises about pulling out of the coalition agreement. I’m not sure I believe both that they would give up that role or that Forbes would be that open on social issues etc.

"Anonymous source says" is equivalent to "A man in the pub told me" imo.

14 minutes ago, orfc said:

But isn't the point of the SNP to achieve independence and then you can pick a party after that happens based on other choices. Christ, if it's members don't get this it'll never happen 🤣

No, that isn't the point of the SNP.

Independence is one of the goals, but it isn't the only reason the party exists, and it isn't my only motivation for being a member.

By your logic I should have no issue with them electing anyone leader no matter how unpalatable a person they are, provided it leads to Scots Indi, which is utterly ridiculous.

Edited by Boo Khaki

44 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

@Trogdor

There's nothing about being religious that should disbar anyone from holding office. Personally, I believe politics should be entirely secular, but if people are capable of putting their own personal religion to one side and formulating policy based on the needs and wants of the majority then there should be absolutely no problem. 

The reason Forbes is a line in the sand for me isn't her religion, it's her past admission that she does not believe same-sex couples should have marriage rights, and that she is opposed to right to choose. I'm not willing to remain a member of any party that elects a leader with those views, and especially not when the party I joined posits itself as liberal and progressive. Whatever is the basis for those views, religion or otherwise, is wholly irrelevant, as it is the views themselves I find unconscionable.

If SNP members believe Forbes is the best option for Leader, she is elected FM and is a roaring success, that's fine and dandy, but I will not endorse her because I can not give my vote to someone who has views I find fundamentally objectionable.

Surely your first paragraph is completely at odds with the rest of your post?

If someone, because of their religion, has views which you dislike but the law of the land is different, then I don’t see the problem.

The majority of Christian denominations don’t agree with same-sex marriage so you don’t think they can be in the SNP.

Thats just crazy.

Edited by Wingman
Spelling

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Ash Regan has said that if pro-independence parties get more than 50% of votes in a Westminister or Holyrood election, she’ll use this as a basis to begin negotiations for independence.

I’d love to be a fly on the all of those ‘negotiations’

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

@Trogdor

Except that Forbes has done exactly this by being part of a government that fully endorses policies that are in opposition to her individual beliefs and principles. What you really seem to want is for the accepted policy to then require a sudden conversion of principles too from every single politician. That's not separating the two at all, that's insisting on conformity. And it is also clearly a disbarment from political office with your support. 

I've no strong opinion on Forbes' competence for the job but I think we've wasted quite enough time and political capital already in Scotland waging utterly tedious minority identity wars that have almost zero impact on the groups being fought over anyway. 

Edited by vikingTON

So long as candidates aren't advocating repealing same sex marriage or gender reform legislation or banning abortion, I don't think there's an need to interrogate them too deeply on their religious beliefs. People can hold different religious and secular beliefs simultaneously, plenty Catholics are pro choice and contraception, they just don't bring it up while they're in church or have their religion hats on. Not all moral beliefs need to be absolutist, there should be room for ambiguity.

Edited by welshbairn

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

So long as candidates aren't advocating repealing same sex marriage or gender reform legislation or banning abortion, I don't think there's an need to interrogate them too deeply on their religious beliefs. People can hold different religious and secular beliefs simultaneously, plenty Catholics are pro choice and contraception, they just don't bring it up while they're in church or have their religion hats on. Not all moral beliefs need to be absolutist, there should be room for ambiguity.

I know what you mean but, to me, it would have been a problem if the Scottish Government's seemingly quite competent Finance Secretary had resigned over the gender issue.  That would have been quite a decision for her. Fortunately most folk who are religious seem to be able to exercise a 'pick 'n mix' approach to faith. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, this is the way.