Rigg v Loons

It’s the same thing that has hurt us the last three games, we never learn.

A midfield three doesn’t work. I like Slater but since he’s come back we have gone to the midfield three and it kills us in the middle of the park.

Bringing Aitken on knackers any forward threat we have, surely another forward should have been a smart idea. It’s the same as last season when we needed a striker and brought nobody in.

Ross is much better behind Armour than being out wide. Thomson being out doesn’t help but we have wide players to cover this in Flanagan, McCluskey and Watson who has disappeared into thin air apparently.

We have conceded five goals in the last five minutes of games since McKinnon came in, three of those (Bonnyrigg twice, Elgin) meaning we have dropped five points. Switching off like that is something that needs to be sorted and quickly.

Bit of an odd game. First half Bonnyrigg were the better team, targeting our left hand side, but apart from their big dumpling number 4 firing wide when he should have scored I don't think they had many chances. We were poor in the half and were dominated physically yet had 3 great chances; Armour scooping one over the bar right at the start, Munro with a header he should've scored and Seb Ross getting it all wrong after Flanagan broke down the left.

Second half we played better but didn't create much, our brightest spell of 10-15 minutes came after Stef replaced the ineffectual Moore and we got the penalty after some excellent play from Docherty, great strike from Armour.

Last 15 Bonnyrigg put the pressure on and got the equaliser when a cross from a free kick was bundled in, nobody taking charge from our perspective.

Overall I think a point each was fair. I'd be surprised if Bonnyrigg didn't finish bottom now. They'll bully a few teams, but they don't have enough good footballers. For us, we need to ditch the 3 man midfield and get an actual wide man on the right. Ben Armour put in a good shift and won a number of balls he shouldn't have. Flanagan is tricky but his passing is woeful, Seb Ross shouldn't be our wide, Moore isn't good enough. Defensively solid enough but we just don't have enough threat, I think that's why we'll ultimately fall short of the top 4

1 hour ago, TheClosingArguement said:

Chronic.

Wish McKinnon would stop subbing on Aitken, ruins any chance of pressing the opposition & we're immediately on the back foot.

Strikers don't grow on trees I know but surely there must be someone available who can give some presence up front or even stay on there feet.

13 minutes ago, C_titz said:

pretty shite game . We should just write this season off and build towards next year , not good enough to be going up. What’s happened to Darren Watson?

Write it off? We’re still unbeaten in 7, we’ve still only lost once under McKinnon and we’re a point off the play offs with a game in hand

12 hours ago, terracingtam said:

Strikers don't grow on trees I know but surely there must be someone available who can give some presence up front or even stay on there feet.

You only need to look around our league and to a lesser extent the league above to see there aren't many out there at the moment. Slightly concerns me that prem teams don't have young boys to loan out to teams in our league. Maybe the structure of the cups etc and things have meant they don't need to go out to get that experience or maybe there is a genuine lack.

We signed Gemmell pre season and Stranraer signed Malcolm, those kind of things show there ain't much going around at this level.

7 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

You only need to look around our league and to a lesser extent the league above to see there aren't many out there at the moment. Slightly concerns me that prem teams don't have young boys to loan out to teams in our league. Maybe the structure of the cups etc and things have meant they don't need to go out to get that experience or maybe there is a genuine lack.

We signed Gemmell pre season and Stranraer signed Malcolm, those kind of things show there ain't much going around at this level.

So what you’re saying here is we need to go and bring Jim Lister back to Station Park?

35 minutes ago, fafc1885 said:

So what you’re saying here is we need to go and bring Jim Lister back to Station Park?

A Jim Lister/Big Sanny lookalike would certainly create more of a threat in the box than we have just now. Andy appears to be the only player to look to against the opposition giants in corner situations. Hight is not the be all and end all for strikers as Baird, Hilson have proved but in Div. 2 nice passing has to have an end result.

1 hour ago, fafc1885 said:

I mean, is it the worst option? 🤣 I have no idea what big Jim got upto after he moved on from you guys or if he has played since.

His best spell/season came with us arguably.