Arbroath FC vs Dundee FC - 08/04/23

5 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the ref making a complete balls up and finishing the game a good 7 or 8 minutes early , perhaps he couldn’t watch anymore of that Keech 

5 hours ago, keptie said:

Yes i noticed that as well, we played 45 minutes the 2nd half but no injury time which i thought was strange.

5 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Don’t think it was that much but he definitely didn’t play the full 90. The second half started 8 minutes late and he blew for full time at 5:52.

Maybe he’d had enough and realised neither team was scoring.

1 hour ago, ecto said:

Have to say, I thought it finished a bit sharp, maybe the ref thought, this pair are not going to score, so I’ll just blow

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

No, 4.04 according to my Seiko skx (pretty accurate).

Thank you.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I had it as 4:06 kick off, and then finished pretty much bang on the 45 minute mark with no real added time. A bit sharp, but not unreasonably so. 

58 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

I had a stopwatch on it. He played just over 47,  but I  had expected about  a couple more

One of my (some might say many) idiosyncrasies is to look at my watch to see the exact kick-off time of each half. Don't ask why - it's likely I did it once, we won that game, and it's since become a superstition. 

Anyway, the second half kicked off at 4.05 and 56 seconds and, corroborating @lichtgilphead, ended a little before 4.53 (so 45+2-ish). 

It wasn't the most fun to watch (unlike the weird sight of Douglas Ross warming up right near us 😵‍💫) but I still don't get the amount of Dundee fans booing their own team at the final whistle. 

We all wanted them to win, it just gives me the cringe to see the negativity. I've been at matches before when the team were getting called useless c***s before a ball was kicked. 😏 Have they no all been watching this pish for decades and expect disappointment? 😂😭

Arbroath shut us down all over the pitch, the like of Cameron had no room at all when he was immediately surrounded. Add that to the random passes to nobody and multiple high balls hoofed around and it wasn't really going anywhere. I saw some better passing from the 10 year olds I watched in the morning...

Tory boy was right in front of us a lot of the game, boggles my mind how he turns out for that abuse for fun 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 (and about £500, which he hopefully won't forget to declare again 😉).

It was a braw sunny day though and my wee ones loved being so close to the pitch and getting high 5s from the subs warming up.  They weren't as excited as me to see Rab Douglas right in front of us though. 😁

Tuesday night is going to be tricky, hope they can pull that one out the bag 🙈🙈

A couple thoughts on yesterday:

Hilson got absolutely nothing from that Dundee defence in the first half, they took him clean out of the game.  He was much better later in the second half when Dundee tired and lost their composure.  I would have started Hilson, and I can see why Dick started Hilson, but in hindsight, that might have been a better game for Adarkwa to start, with Hilson to come on.

That wee Scott Allan cameo had me thirsting for more.  As soon as he came on, he looked significantly more composed on the ball than anyone else in our team, and started to play some lovely passes, opening up Dundee a bit.  

Was that the mighty Dundee?  Was that all they had?  Queens were a better footballing side than them, and other teams have been more physical.  That was one of our more comfortable recent home games.  If they win the league, they are going to be absolutely shamed in the premier league next season.

The Dundee crowd on the other hand were truly impressive!  Made it into a good atmosphere, turned out in numbers, and made a run of the mill league game feel special.  I love seeing Gayfield full like that.  I mind when people used to celebrate seeing an attendance of over 1000, so seeing 5,500 is magnificent from both sides.  Its also good to see that the facilities we've put in (extra pie huts, added toilets, new turnstiles, online ticketing) get a good use.  

I didnt see the scoreboard!  Gutted!

21 minutes ago, f_c_dundee said:

It wasn't the most fun to watch (unlike the weird sight of Douglas Ross warming up right near us 😵‍💫) but I still don't get the amount of Dundee fans booing their own team at the final whistle. 

We all wanted them to win, it just gives me the cringe to see the negativity. I've been at matches before when the team were getting called useless c***s before a ball was kicked. 😏 Have they no all been watching this pish for decades and expect disappointment? 😂😭

Arbroath shut us down all over the pitch, the like of Cameron had no room at all when he was immediately surrounded. Add that to the random passes to nobody and multiple high balls hoofed around and it wasn't really going anywhere. I saw some better passing from the 10 year olds I watched in the morning...

Tory boy was right in front of us a lot of the game, boggles my mind how he turns out for that abuse for fun 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 (and about £500, which he hopefully won't forget to declare again 😉).

It was a braw sunny day though and my wee ones loved being so close to the pitch and getting high 5s from the subs warming up.  They weren't as excited as me to see Rab Douglas right in front of us though. 😁

Tuesday night is going to be tricky, hope they can pull that one out the bag 🙈🙈

I thought Cameron was poor yesterday.  He really doesn’t like to tackle a player.  Routinely just sticks a leg in and hopes.  Looks frightened of getting injured.  He also needs to work on his long cross field balls - long floating passes that were easily intercepted.

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I thought Cameron was poor yesterday.  He really doesn’t like to tackle a player.  Routinely just sticks a leg in and hopes.  Looks frightened of getting injured.  He also needs to work on his long cross field balls - long floating passes that were easily intercepted.

I thought maybe he wasn't the right player for this game, could have done with someone a bit bigger perhaps 🤣

It was annoying that the subs weren't even made until so late on, when it was clear nothing was changing as it was. 

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

It wasn't just him.

We just sat deeper and deeper and really did not use the width of the pitch. Jakubiak was just so isolated - even more in the 2nd half when Arbroath used the wind and went route 1. We weren't picking up the ball in the second half - when it was cleared it was either going straight to an unmarked Arbroath player or it was in the air and we were not challenging. The number of times the ball was in the air and we didn't challenge was a joke.  It was the complete opposite of the Hamilton game.

To their credit Arbroath used the breeze more effectively than we did - when we did counterattack it was often too overelaborate (McMullan bring the worst offender) - looking for a wordly ball through the middle instead of the simple ball out wide or even getting a shot away.

Subbing Jakubiak was the wrong move - yes he was getting very little but it needed another striker because McMullan was just not supporting enough.

I hope Robinson is fit for the Tuesday and the rest of the season.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, f_c_dundee said:

I thought maybe he wasn't the right player for this game, could have done with someone a bit bigger perhaps 🤣

It was annoying that the subs weren't even made until so late on, when it was clear nothing was changing as it was. 

The obvious sub was taking off McMullan and bringing on Thomas - when he took off Jakubiak (as you say way too late a substitution) it was just like for like - no change to the shape or formation.

The Gayfield Pitch is 105 x 65.  

14 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

115 x 71 yards so larger than many including Dens, Tannadice, Tynecastle, Pittodrie etc. it’s definitely due to the perspective of being low down and close to the pitch.

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It wasn't just him.

We just sat deeper and deeper and really did not use the width of the pitch. Jakubiak was just so isolated - even more in the 2nd half when Arbroath used the wind and went route 1. We weren't picking up the ball in the second half - when it was cleared it was either going straight to an unmarked Arbroath player or it was in the air and we were not challenging. The number of times the ball was in the air and we didn't challenge was a joke.  It was the complete opposite of the Hamilton game.

To their credit Arbroath used the breeze more effectively than we did - when we did counterattack it was often too overelaborate (McMullan bring the worst offender) - looking for a wordly ball through the middle instead of the simple ball out wide or even getting a shot away.

Subbing Jakubiak was the wrong move - yes he was getting very little but it needed another striker because McMullan was just not supporting enough.

I hope Robinson is fit for the Tuesday and the rest of the season.

Yes, maybe it would have helped to have them both on for a bit - when the ball came back off the crossbar or the keeper there seemed to be no one there for it. 🙈

My ten year old was shouting to them to pass out out wide, probably because that's what his team's coach was saying to them a few hours earlier 😂

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

What wind?  There was barely a hint of a breeze for the entire match!  

20230408_161543.thumb.jpg.58730d78a33fd6d00919128875b8eec6.jpg

Look at that flag.  There was no wind.

If there were no wind it would be against the flagpole.  There was a definite breeze in that direction.  We didn't use it, Arbroath did - or did you miss the chance in tactics in the second half?

The non existent wind yesterday had zero effect on the game. There was maybe a tiny breeze but that was all. I sometimes wonder if Gayfield is the only outdoor football stadium in Scotland.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

If there were no wind it would be against the flagpole.  There was a definite breeze in that direction.  We didn't use it, Arbroath did - or did you miss the chance in tactics in the second half?

Oh no way! A slight breeze at a football game in Scotland in April, that’s mental! Was the game played with a sky floater?

2 minutes ago, keptie said:

The non existent wind yesterday had zero effect on the game. There was maybe a tiny breeze but that was all. I sometimes wonder if Gayfield is the only outdoor football stadium in Scotland.

Your goalie occasionally had issues in the warm-up with the breeze - it was noticeable during the game - when the ball was kicked up high it was either holding up or going further if the other way.  Your goalie hardly had one kick that made it to the halfway line in the first half - in the second every lick was going a good 10 yards past the halfway line. 

I'm not blaming the wind - I've seen it a lot worse here - but clearly one team did utilise the breeze far better than the other.  That's our fault and our fault alone.

6 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Your goalie occasionally had issues in the warm-up with the breeze - it was noticeable during the game - when the ball was kicked up high it was either holding up or going further if the other way.  Your goalie hardly had one kick that made it to the halfway line in the first half - in the second every lick was going a good 10 yards past the halfway line. 

I'm not blaming the wind - I've seen it a lot worse here - but clearly one team did utilise the breeze far better than the other.  That's our fault and our fault alone.

If this same game wasn't played at Gayfield "wind" wouldn't even be mentioned.

3 minutes ago, keptie said:

If this same game wasn't played at Gayfield "wind" wouldn't even be mentioned.

Maybe that tells you something?

Campbell deserves a lot of credit for the change in tactics just after halftime- you could see him gesticulating to get it up because we just weren't coping with the high balls.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Maybe that tells you something?

Campbell deserves a lot of credit for the change in tactics just after halftime- you could see him gesticulating to get it up because we just weren't coping with the high balls.

It's windy today btw 😃