Post split fixtures

7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

to the detriment of the supporters of the other ten teams and the games where the actual drama will lie.

Kind of.

Means all our games are, bar one, on a Saturday at 3 rather than a Sunday lunchtime.

Im happy with that.

Yip…it’s probably a good idea having the split and keeps an interest in a lot more games, but as a lifelong Celtic fan, I can’t understand why SKY have the lazy option of showing meaningless games involving us and Rangers, when you have a lot of other matches with something at stake. 

9 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Title decided and 1st and 2nd places guaranteed, so every Rangers and Celtic game from here on in basically meaningless.

Aberdeen in pole position for 3rd but not guaranteed, and the four remaining top six sides all vying for European football (including St Mirren who are pretty much having their best league season in a generation).

In the bottom half, 5 of the 6 could all realistically still end up in the relegation mix but, so very predictably, Sky opt for dead rubbers to appease the masses of the bigoted two, to the detriment of the supporters of the other ten teams and the games where the actual drama will lie. Lots of games with lots still at stake.

f**k Celtic, f**k Rangers, and f**k Sky and their contempt for the rest of the entirety of Scottish football. 

100% correct.

Well, almost.

Who are “Rangers”? 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kind of.

Means all our games are, bar one, on a Saturday at 3 rather than a Sunday lunchtime.

Im happy with that.

This is generally how I view it. I go to Hearts games, so I'd rather they weren't on telly so I can have my Saturday 3pm.

But any interesting games not involving Hearts, I want on in the pub before or after the Hearts game.

Can't have it all, but what Sky are giving the public is a fucking disgrace.

On 24/04/2023 at 13:37, VincentGuerin said:

I think our system is better than that, to be honest.

Being stuck in seventh with nothing to play for for the last 3 months or so of the season would be pish. All because you're a point behind another team in December?

The split is good, I think. I don't see why anyone wouldn't want teams in direct competition having games against each other at the end of the season.

As to whether it's 'fair', well, loads of things about fitba aren't 'fair'. Celtic have a team worth millions of pounds and Ross County don't ,but we all just accept that.

The split is garbage and encourages sterile, fearful, negative football. Let's have 'meaningless' end of season games where young players can be introduced into a team without the sword of disaster being the result of a defeat. If teams in direct competition playing each other at the end of the season is so wonderful why don't the Germans go for it ? The Dutch ? The Italians ? The English ? 

9 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

The split is garbage and encourages sterile, fearful, negative football. Let's have 'meaningless' end of season games where young players can be introduced into a team without the sword of disaster being the result of a defeat. If teams in direct competition playing each other at the end of the season is so wonderful why don't the Germans go for it ? The Dutch ? The Italians ? The English ? 

(a) Who gives a f**k what the english do

(b) End of season dead rubbers are of course famous for being a great watch.

17 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Yes, because the best way to grow a group of promising young players is to chuck them in to 4 games at the end of a season with no competitive edge to them at all.

The issue is negative managers terrified of failure, bred from a mindset thats slowly dying out, rather than the set up of the league. Youngsters good enough will, generally, play.

41 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

I think you may be a minority of one with that opinion.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

A small league with everyone playing each other four times favours 'the two'. 

Do you seriously think having a bigger league and only playing every team twice would make the slightest bit of difference to Celtic or Sevco finishing 1st and 2nd?

The financial gulf is what favours them, having tens of millions more to spend on better players, having much more quality and depth to their squads. That isn't going to change by adding some more cannon fodder for them to walk over.

1 hour ago, kennie makevin said:

Why would anyone compare Scottish football to the German, Dutch, Italian and English leagues?

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

The majority seem to like the split. It adds different excitement. 

We've got a weird playoff system as well. Do we scrap that because the Dutch and Italians don't do it?

There is at least one other top League in Europe that does it and their option is muccccch more convoluted than ours. They don't scrap it because other leagues don't copy it.  

The issue here is "we want more teams in the League" but we also want better teams, more signings and a more competitive league. All those things aren't compatible.

You reduce back to 10 to remove the split and still you'll be playing teams more than twice. You increase the teams in the league to lose the split, there's then more poorer sides in the league with less money across the board so twofold the quality decreases as well. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe