How did this season match with your expectations?

My expectation was that we would struggle, maybe avoid a relegation battle but be basically what Raith were this season. 

Last season, Bullen struggled to put any kind of stamp on the team, persevering with players that just weren't up to it, playing negative football and looking like he'd be out of a job by October. 

The league cup was brutal, the first 45 minutes of the opening league game was relegation fodder. Dipo was becoming a laughing stock because of the 20 sitters he had missed in the previous games. 

Dipo scored in the second half and kept scoring, we didn't change the shape and were motoring quite well. We signed Mullen and Chalmers towards the end of the window and changed things to accommodate them. We started to go off the boil but still "won ugly" until October when the wheels came off and it took a few months for Bullen to make any meaningful changes to the way we played. losing Musonda and Kirk didn't help. 

We stuttered and struggled for probably two thirds of the season but stayed in the hunt due to our early season form and the teams round about us being just as bad. The fact we won something like four games in four months, all against Hamilton and Cove and still managed to finish second is a miracle. 

So my expectation was met, we did struggle, we did play some honking football but we have somehow managed to get a play-off semi final place which exceeded my expectations from not only the start of the season but also from 3 weeks ago. 

10 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Your performance was magic. Hopefully you spiral downwards next season, if you’re (ICT) are still breathing. 

A lot of us want to see the back of Dodds and a new manager and coaching staff brought in, plus we have a bunch of players out of contract at the end of this month, our take after the semi and Scottish Cup final will bring us well over a million pounds so that money should help to fund it. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

9 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

A lot of us want to see the back of Dodds and a new manager and coaching staff brought in, plus we have a bunch of players out of contract at the end of this month, our take after the semi and Scottish Cup final will bring us well over a million pounds so that money should help to fund it. 

Why would you bin a manager that got you to the play off final last season and the Scottish cup final this season and just missed out on the playoffs again?

My expectations were that it would be a struggle to get up.  On paper, and probably financially, we had the best team. However, it’s always tough to bounce back up after a season of getting shafted in the top flight. Throw in a manager who has no prior experience of Scottish football and it was always going to take time to get going. However, having said that, it took Bowyer until the last quarter to find his team. We had a spell over Xmas when we went top but he tinkered again and we only just got over the line. Overall, mission accomplished. It was a great chance for another side to get up and they must be kicking themselves. Hope Thistle or Ayr come up now. 

Morton started the season with a target of 40 points from the board to stay in the division. This looked a big ask after the first 8 games of the season but Dougie Imrie gradually upgraded the weaker positions with new signings, loan deals and by rejuvenating some current players who’d been unpopular with the fans. We also started in disarray off the pitch, both in leadership and financial issues. This was also transformed by the Dalrada sponsorship deal and a new progressive Board backed by Fan Group MCT.

When we reached 40 points Dougie told the players they’d reached their target so they should just enjoy the rest of the season. We then found ourselves in the mix for the play-offs due the competitiveness of the league and the number of teams in contention. All the clubs around and above us clearly stated they were going for either the title or the play-offs. We never at any point stated we were going for the title and only latterly started talking about the play-offs.

The fact we ended up disappointed to miss the play-offs on goal difference, shows something of a transformation from how we started the season to how we ended it. 

Dougie has now started the process of completing the squad to make us proper promotion challengers. He's released the under performers, extended the contracts of all the players that fit his plans, and offered the best out of contract players (and one loanee) new deals. That will still leave space for several new players, some of whom he'll no doubt already have in mind. Attendances are going up and there's a strong bond forming between players and fans, including those previously unpopular players. Planning permission is also in place for an area of the ground to be turned into a pre/post match Fans' area. 

There's a theory that Morton as a Club weren't ready for an unexpected promotion this season, but will put a plan in place for it next season, without a ceiling on our expectations.

If that's the case it looks like we're headed in the right direction, and that's the reason we're happy with our progression on and off the pitch.  

33 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

There's a theory that Morton as a Club weren't ready for an unexpected promotion this season, but will put a plan in place for it next season, without a ceiling on our expectations.

^^^ taxi driver found 

58 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Morton started the season with a target of 40 points from the board to stay in the division.

When we reached 40 points Dougie told the players they’d reached their target so they should just enjoy the rest of the season. 

We never at any point stated we were going for the title and only latterly started talking about the play-offs.

Absolute horseshit.

I actually wrote a load more, but have now just come back to delete it. I just can't be arsed contesting your totally unproven, delusional roasting any longer.

Edited by Chippyminton

5 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Why would you bin a manager that got you to the play off final last season and the Scottish cup final this season and just missed out on the playoffs again?

Because if we had a good manager we would probably be in the Premiership now.

Exceeded. Would have taken a tedious mid-table, not troubling either playoff. Thought we could get to the playoffs if we had a very good season. To end up in the mix for the title wasn’t on anyone’s radar. 

Of course, losing a title decider on the final day and taking a pumping in the playoffs stings, but if every single QP fan would have had the hand off you for a title challenge/playoff qualification back last June. In the cold light of day, it’s been an excellent first pop at an extremely tough lessons. A lot of positives to take and a lot to learn as well. 

5 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

*Citation required*

My cup final ticket cost me £45.

Taking into account all three games circa 100,000 others made similar purchases. Even with second order approximations there is an outcome that is very advantageous for ICT's finances.

8 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

It's not just my opinion but the general consensus that Dodds should not be offered a contact next year, as a PT fan you are probably unaware of the situation just as I would not intrude on your clubs management.

On the 'Caley Thistle Online'  Forum they ran a poll with that question and the majority want him out, CTO is populated primarily by Caley fans with virtually no input from other clubs fans. 

34 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

It's not just my opinion but the general consensus that Dodds should not be offered a contact next year, as a PT fan you are probably unaware of the situation just as I would not intrude on your clubs management.

On the 'Caley Thistle Online'  Forum they ran a poll with that question and the majority want him out, CTO is populated primarily by Caley fans with virtually no input from other clubs fans. 

Forty contributors to the CTO poll indicated that Dodds should go. Twenty four did not. A look at the top posters on the thread might suggest that the roaster to reasonableness ratio might by ever so slightly skewed, so in a world where partisan online polls would have us declare UDI every day, I can't quite get on board with this consensus 

This season exceeded my expectations.

5 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

This post also exceeded my expectations, what a load of pish.