The Famous Aberdeen’s European Tour 2023/24

Frank Grimes

Being unaware of the in’s and out’s of Macedonian history - it would appear Thessaloniki (Salonika for about 80% of my life) is the chief city of the Greek province of Macedonia.

When Yugoslavia broke up, their bit had to be FYR and then North Macedonia, due to Greek sensitivities.

Not sure it this means Bojan will get a hard time or our fans just need to be careful not to tell the locals how nice South Macedonia is of an early November.

Edited by tarapoa

14 hours ago, 1GregStewart said:

What route you taking for that? £90 way cheaper than anything I have seen. 
we are booked for Helsinki so far, giving Frankfurt a miss. 

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

From memory I don’t think Menzel is travelling from the uk. 

That would be flying from Vienna so sorry to disappoint!

On 08/09/2023 at 13:05, tarapoa said:

Being unaware of the in’s and out’s of Macedonian history - it would appear Thessaloniki (Salonika for about 80% of my life) is the chief city of the Greek province of Macedonia.

When Yugoslavia broke up, their bit had to be FYR and then North Macedonia, due to Greek sensitivities.

Not sure it this means Bojan will get a hard time or our fans just need to be careful not to tell the locals how nice South Macedonia is of an early November.

You're correct. Macedonian/Greek politics is a complex situation and had you been on University Challenge with Aberdeen or Robert Gordon you'd have aced the Greek history questions.

Just tell the locals that Alexander the Great and Aristotle were top lads and you'll be fine. Don't mention Plato as he was from Athens.

On 09/09/2023 at 21:07, come on shire said:

You're correct. Macedonian/Greek politics is a complex situation and had you been on University Challenge with Aberdeen or Robert Gordon you'd have aced the Greek history questions.

Just tell the locals that Alexander the Great and Aristotle were top lads and you'll be fine. Don't mention Plato as he was from Athens.

0_Alex-McLeish-Aberdeen.jpg

Obviously Alexander the great.

Not this one.

zander diamond | Page 2 | FollowFollow.com

Who's all heading over next week?

Heard that Romerberg Square is likely to be off limit to Dandies on game day, AFC (on say so of the German plod) are apparently very keen to have fans drinking in and around the area of O'Reilly's on the Thursday which is the collection point for tickets. Couple of other similar type pubs in the area.

4 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Heard that Romerberg Square is likely to be off limit to Dandies on game day, AFC (on say so of the German plod) are apparently very keen to have fans drinking in and around the area of O'Reilly's on the Thursday which is the collection point for tickets. Couple of other similar type pubs in the area.

Few good bars in the Sachsenhausen district south of the river. Good food in Wagners Apfelwein haus.

On 08/09/2023 at 13:05, tarapoa said:

I went to a PAOK home match in 2016, and one of their 'firm' got me a ticket because I didn't have the right credentials or something.

Anyway, he asked me where I had been, and I said that I took the bus from Macedonia and he looked at me with evil intent and said, "You're in Macedonia!".

So I apologised and corrected myself that I had arrived from the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (as it was back then)

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Frankfurt is a real shit hole, alongside Hollywood the only place I've ever seen someone injecting themselves in public. 

That being said, enjoy the beer and the stadium is cracking. I think their support is on some sort or protest at the moment due to policing within the ground.

On 09/09/2023 at 21:07, come on shire said:

Another historical point PAOK are the club of refugees from Constantinople/Istanbul during a war between Greece and turkey.

6 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Frankfurt is a real shit hole

Been a few times for various reasons, including a night en route to Rijeka 15 when we had the Lufthansa option from ABZ.

I think that is a tad harsh description- maybe a bit business like and boring compared to other German cities - but prosperous and plenty going on to make it an enjoyable fitba trip.

Still gutted I can’t make this one (hols booked elsewhere in Goodwin era!) - forgetting the domestic hiccups, we have waited a while for this and need to make the most of it.

A defeat that isn’t a complete pumping and with a goal to celebrate would do - it’s four of the other five matches that offer more realistic points opportunities.

Edited by tarapoa

On 14/09/2023 at 13:27, anotherchance said:

Aberdeen must despise their fans if this is the case. Really shite part of town.

If that's the set-up, get your tickets then jump in a taxi and get out of there.

This match reminds me of the Sporting Lisbon one which I never watched because the outcome seemed inevitable...much like a trip to the Gruesomes.

I hope the travelling support have a good time and the team stays as competitive as they can for as long as the can so the fans get a good game.

Something more akin to Hertha Berlin than Bayern Munich in the Allianz which I didn't enjoy either...

As for me, I'll look at the score at half time then look again at  full time...

Miserable sod but pragmatic, no point getting too excited about this game.

The flip side on that though is that we actually did reasonably well, relatively speaking, in Lisbon without ever looking like we would score.

Definitely more Hertha than Bayern mk II (Allianz) though.

However, gone are the days of hoping for a Bayern mk I (Olympic Stadium) performance...

Edited by Bogbrush1903