Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Clarke isn’t even really the only manager that does this, it’s arguably why the likes of Maguire has remained in the England squad even in his worst times, they always had a pretty settled squad.

I also think he’s basically picking our best players. There isn’t anyone playing better than the players he is picking. You could maybe argue for a couple, I.e you see calls for Gauld etc but he’s doing well in a not especially great league, most of the arguments are for more fringe players. The players he picks are to my mind, the best available. 

It's a logical approach and so it makes sense it's adopted elsewhere. 

There may be options in better 'form', but not significantly better players. The upside to picking them isn't worth what you lose by being loyal. Gauld or Ryan Hardie might be marginally better fringe options than Stuart Armstrong or Jacob Brown at the time, but the trade-off for that swap isn't worth it. Similar when you get the odd shout for Liam Lindsay, Dom Hyam, Michael Rose or Murray Wallace to be drafted in.

Other players have been brought in relatively quickly if it's clear they are significantly better than what we have. Adams, Gunn, Hickey, Gilmour and Anderson being examples of that. If you're significantly better than what we have then we're talking. Otherwise you have to wait for injuries and grab your opportunity when you get it. Ralston, Porteous or Shankland could fall into that category. 

Edited by 2426255

13 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Clarke isn’t even really the only manager that does this, it’s arguably why the likes of Maguire has remained in the England squad even in his worst times, they always had a pretty settled squad.

Almost all good managers do this, especially at international level where the concept of "form" is a bit different given that games can be months apart.

Posted (edited)

5 Years in charge. About to lead us into Euro 2024. Top man.

It is an honour to be appointed Scotland National Head Coach and I will undertake those responsibilities with pride and commitment. I firmly believe we have a talented group of players who can achieve success on the international stage. I look forward to working with them and helping them to fulfil those ambitions. 

I appreciate the Scotland supporters have waited a long time for the national team to qualify for a major tournament. Now we have a Women’s World Cup to look forward to in France this summer and it’s my motivation to emulate the success of Shelley Kerr and her squad by leading us to EURO 2020. I believe we can qualify and look forward to that journey with the players and the fans, starting against Cyprus and Belgium next month.

Steve Clarke, 20th May 2019

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/steve-clarke-appointed-scotland-national-team-head-coach/

Edited by 2426255

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/03/2024 at 16:43, Bing.McCrosby said:

I dont think this is official policy tho is it? Also it doesn't go in to detail of targets, past being a pot 2 team. So the targets id expect to have changed, saying as were past that point. If you were to summarise, its pretty much saying he is judged on results over his tenure.

Thought you might appreciate this update. It reinforces my message that it's not solely results that are being taken into account and that results at Euro 2024 are not going to decide whether Steve Clarke is manager after the tournament.

When we brought Steve (Clarke) in we had an aspiration of what we wanted him to achieve. He’s done that and then some. He is a huge asset to the nation. He’s a huge asset to the Scottish Football Association. He’s a huge asset to the players and the fans and that is reflected not only on the park with the joy and the success that we’ve been achieving, but off the park with the joy at the fact that he makes economic impact for us.

I think a couple of years is a good timeframe for any football manager and after we get through the Euros we anticipate Steve of course leading us into the next campaign and thereafter absolutely is on the cards. If Steve wants to stay we can see an avenue where that is the case.

There’s conversations every time we meet each other so we talk about not only that, but Steve is interested in how we make the global game better in Scotland. He’s so interested in improving everything: for the fans, for the fans experience, for young players to his National team, to how we treat his National players. He’s interested in everything. We talk about all of that.

Mike Mulraney, SFA

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/28461/13148902/huge-asset-to-the-nation-scottish-fa-chairman-determined-to-keep-steve-clarke

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Thought you might appreciate this update. It reinforces my message that it's not solely results that are being taken into account and that results at Euro 2024 are not going to decide whether Steve Clarke is manager after the tournament.

https://www.skysports.com/football/video/28461/13148902/huge-asset-to-the-nation-scottish-fa-chairman-determined-to-keep-steve-clarke

That quote suggests nothing of the sort.

He may well spread sunshine wherever he goes, and give the sfa tingles up and down their spine. But the quote was "anticipate" so its dependent on results.

If we go into the euros and lose every game by 10 goals he wouldn't keep his job.

Its perfectly simple, this is international management not a high school prom. Hes judged on results not feelings.

Short of a France 2010 style meltdown in the camp I think the job is still his if he wants it.

If that did happen or if he decided to move on I’d be straight on the phone to Davie Moyes.

4 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

If we go into the euros and lose every game by 10 goals he wouldn't keep his job.

There is always a possibility that Clarke will be sacked. If Scotland lose each game 100-nil or if he is sacked for gross misconduct or something like that. The reality is that even if he fails to qualify from the group it won't affect his position as Scotland manager and that's the key takeaway for you.

The reason that I quoted this is to make it clear to you that more than just results come into it. I don't expect you to agree or care if you do, just want to see if you double down or not.

39 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

There is always a possibility that Clarke will be sacked. If Scotland lose each game 100-nil or if he is sacked for gross misconduct or something like that. The reality is that even if he fails to qualify from the group it won't affect his position as Scotland manager and that's the key takeaway for you.

The reason that I quoted this is to make it clear to you that more than just results come into it. I don't expect you to agree or care if you do, just want to see if you double down or not.

You have just said yourself he is judged on results.

Your key takeaway is purely something you have imagined and have nothing to back up. So I won't take that away as its worthless.

Don't worry about Steve Clarke, hes not from the snowflake generation. He can handle criticism and being judged, and he will understand it comes with the job.

9 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

You have just said yourself he is judged on results.

Your key takeaway is purely something you have imagined and have nothing to back up. So I won't take that away as its worthless.

You're clinging on there if you think that we'll lose 100-nil in each game. It's been backed up with the interview from Mike Mulraney. You won't take it away because you are doubling down on your position and don't want to accept the reality.

The only person that will decide if Steve Clarke leaves before our Nations League campaign is Steve Clarke.

Just now, 2426255 said:

You're clinging on there if you think that we'll lose 100-nil in each game. It's been backed up with the interview from Mike Mulraney. You won't take it away because you are doubling down on your position and don't want to accept the reality.

The only person that will decide if Steve Clarke leaves before our Nations League campaign is Steve Clarke.

Well the 100 nil quote was yours. 

There is nothing backed up in that interview, your imagining it.

Football managers are judged on performances and results. Always will be and always have been.

You can take that away.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well the 100 nil quote was yours. 

There is nothing backed up in that interview, your imagining it.

Football managers are judged on performances and results. Always will be and always have been.

You can take that away.

I always take away the things you say. They tend to come in handy later down the line if you've made an arse of it.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.701d5d6e0f6ff1bd843b8ff6b354d762.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d9e088c61be6c141de4a15ee4b46a89d.png

Edited by 2426255

15 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I always take away the things you say. They tend to come in handy later down the line if you've made an arse of it.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.701d5d6e0f6ff1bd843b8ff6b354d762.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.d9e088c61be6c141de4a15ee4b46a89d.png

Thats one of the saddest posts I've ever read 🤣🤣 imagine holding onto that as if its important 🤣

If your smoking gun is that I'm not infallible then I think you may have missed your target.

3 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Thats one of the saddest posts I've ever read 🤣🤣 imagine holding onto that as if its important 🤣

If your smoking gun is that I'm not infallible then I think you may have missed your target.

It's not. It's mainly just to discredit you if you start that shite up again after the tournament.

25 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's not. It's mainly just to discredit you if you start that shite up again after the tournament.

Well as well as finding it pathetic I also take it as a compliment. Im rent free in your head 🤣

Before, During and after the tournament I will say what I want without a 2nd thought to you.

Is it even possible to lose 100-0? There's a part of me in the dark depths of my soul that would love to see this, but you'd have to not celebrate your goals and just hope the opposition are in a hurry. You'd also need to rely on the opposition coughing up possession every 10 seconds or so.

Make it happen, Shir Shteve.

35 minutes ago, velo army said:

Is it even possible to lose 100-0? There's a part of me in the dark depths of my soul that would love to see this, but you'd have to not celebrate your goals and just hope the opposition are in a hurry. You'd also need to rely on the opposition coughing up possession every 10 seconds or so.

Make it happen, Shir Shteve.

You'd have to be over 3 times worse than American Samoa when they played Australia (31-0 defeat). If we managed it, maybe Taika Waititi could make a film about it.

2 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

You'd have to be over 3 times worse than American Samoa when they played Australia (31-0 defeat). If we managed it, maybe Taika Waititi could make a film about it.

Include the micropenises and incontinence and its gonna be a hell of a film. (Apologies if you never read the posts that make this make sense).

2 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well as well as finding it pathetic I also take it as a compliment. Im rent free in your head 🤣

Before, During and after the tournament I will say what I want without a 2nd thought to you.

Good luck with that.

To be fair that Ukraine game was a shambles as was the Euro 2020 tournament so there were a lot of noises back then about punting Clarke, not just from Bing.

I actually think Clarke has improved in his management over the length of his time with the national team and seems to have learned from past mistakes

1 hour ago, bleedingums said:

Only Taika Waititi could make John McGinn unfunny