Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

1 hour ago, SlayerX said:

Therein lies the problem.

Our centerbacks play in the SPL, English Championship, Saudi, etc.

Two are currently unattached.

The tournament that we're in right now is the very top level of football. Forging a centerback duo of a centerback from the English Championship and the Saudi league/SPL is just cruel.

We haven't produced top class centerbacks since the early 90s.

Craig Brown didn't change to a trio at the back because he was bored. Neither has Clarke.

They did it because it's to compensate for defensive deficiencies.

So your idea is to play 3 centre halves that aren't good enough instead of two that aren't good enough? 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

How are scotland not equipped for it

Robertson, tierney, Patterson, hickey are all fantastic fullbacks who wouldn't look out of place in a back 4, mcginn, mctominay and gilmour, they 3 in front of your centre halves offer massive protection and 3 outball options

They did not offer massive protection v. Germany !

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

Therein lies the problem.

Our centerbacks play in the SPL, English Championship, Saudi, etc.

Two are currently unattached.

The tournament that we're in right now is the very top level of football. Forging a centerback duo of a centerback from the English Championship and the Saudi league/SPL is just cruel.

I think once the Euros are over SSC will have to have another think about the central defence

Grant Hanley is not getting any younger 

51 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Surely Alexander set the bar.

gretna-manager-rowan-alexander-r-and-ryan-mcguffie-wearing-the-team-G9B2EP.jpg

Was he in the dug out like that tho or just when he turned up? Gotta be on the side lines, that's the bar 🤣

Personally I'd like to see steve turn up like braveheart, painted face and everything. Hungarians would be terrified.

Edited by Bing.McCrosby

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I think once the Euros are over SSC will have to have another think about the central defence

I think for the Nations league I would look to go to a 4 at the back more often and give McKenna and Porteous a run of games together. Try and find some younger players for the squad.

Hanley, Cooper, Hendry and Souttar can all be squad players at times but for Hanley and Souttar I think injuries are a concern now, Cooper barely plays and Hendry I don't think is that great and we should try to improve on him and I don't think Porteous or McKenna are any worse and are a bit younger.

1 hour ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

I'd be honestly very surprised if he did..it's brought us 2 tournaments out of 3.

I doubt he'd change a winning formula. It would be a mistake if he did

Only time will tell. :)

Edited by SlayerX

12 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I think for the Nations league I would look to go to a 4 at the back more often and give McKenna and Porteous a run of games together. Try and find some younger players for the squad.

Hanley, Cooper, Hendry and Souttar can all be squad players at times but for Hanley and Souttar I think injuries are a concern now, Cooper barely plays and Hendry I don't think is that great and we should try to improve on him and I don't think Porteous or McKenna are any worse and are a bit younger.

How about we just play our best defenders? Hanley is our best CB and is only 32. He'll be playing on to the World Cup if available.

McKenna has 37 caps. It's not as if he needs game time to prove himself. 

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

How about we just play our best defenders? Hanley is our best CB and is only 32. He'll be playing on to the World Cup if available.

McKenna has 37 caps. It's not as if he needs game time to prove himself. 

I think Hanley is/was the best centre halve we have but I am concerned his level has dropped slightly. He had a few injuries last year and I actually thought he was injured more but Shane Duffy was in the Norwich team before him. Would you have Shane Duffy in the Scotland 11?

None of our centre halves need top prove themselves but I would be looking for a consistent pairing as I think getting a relationship is important and if you are using the nations league to achieve that then it is the next WC qualifying that you will see the fruits of that.

I'd be honestly very surprised if he did..it's brought us 2 tournaments out of 3.

I doubt he'd change a winning formula. It would be a mistake if he did

Only time will tell. :)

Agreed , but as someone else has said opposing managers do seem to have sussed out how we play 

If our defenders defended better our midfield could advance to be closer to Adams / BDD ?

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

45 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Agreed , but as someone else has said opposing managers do seem to have sussed out how we play 

If our defenders defended better our midfield could advance to be closer to Adams / BDD ?

That might be true, but I still wouldn't mess with the backline.

It's this structure that have gotten us to 2 tournaments. Maybe some people don't count that as "success", but there are many grades of success.

If Scotland fans only deem "success" as winning trophies then they'll have an unhappy life.

If the system has been found out then I'd tinker with the positions in front of the defence.

I mean, using McTominay as a man marker on Xhaka out of possession and then telling him to slip into a 9 position in possession was a great move. Pretty much what he did in the FA Cup final when he marked Rodri.

Yeah. Possibly.

It's all about opinions. :)

Edited by SlayerX

2 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

That might be true, but I still wouldn't mess with the backline.

It's this structure that have gotten us to 2 tournaments. Maybe some people don't count that as "success", but there are many grades of success.

If Scotland fans only deem "success" as winning trophies then they'll have an unhappy life.

If the system has been found out then I'd tinker with the positions in front of the defence.

I mean, using McTominay as a man marker on Xhaka out of possession and then telling him to slip into a 9 position in possession was a great move. Pretty much what he did in the FA Cup final when he marked Rodri.

Yeah. Possibly.

It's all about opinions. :)

How many Scotland fans do you think this applies too?

10 minutes ago, ahemps said:

How many Scotland fans do you think this applies too?

Well, there's at least one person right before my previous post that it applies to.

So.. 1? 😛

Carver also revealed that Rangers midfielder Ryan Jack, who has yet to feature in Germany, is "under the weather" ahead of Sunday's game in Stuttgart.

Clarke’s decision to pick Jack in the squad was ludicrous at the time and looks even worse now.

’Under the weather’ ffs. The guy has no interest in playing football.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Carver also revealed that Rangers midfielder Ryan Jack, who has yet to feature in Germany, is "under the weather" ahead of Sunday's game in Stuttgart.

Hopefully not something contagious.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Clarke’s decision to pick Jack in the squad was ludicrous at the time and looks even worse now.

’Under the weather’ ffs. The guy has no interest in playing football.

You seriously think Ryan Jack has no interest in taking part in what would be the biggest game of his career?