Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

15 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Clarke’s decision to pick Jack in the squad was ludicrous at the time and looks even worse now.

’Under the weather’ ffs. The guy has no interest in playing football.

10 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Time will tell if he plays or not.

9 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He’ll certainly not play if he’s still ‘under the weather’ 

yeah-right-okay-sure.gif

I keep hearing that Clarke is conservative in his management and tactics, but for a while we had two attacking underlapping centre backs in KT and McTam. We're also innovative in our use of set pieces as well as playing a pretty risky offside trap.

I think folk are being too led by his demeanour in describing him as conservative as there is ample evidence to the contrary.

10 minutes ago, velo army said:

I keep hearing that Clarke is conservative in his management and tactics, but for a while we had two attacking underlapping centre backs in KT and McTam. We're also innovative in our use of set pieces as well as playing a pretty risky offside trap.

I think folk are being too led by his demeanour in describing him as conservative as there is ample evidence to the contrary.

He's just pragmatic. He'll use the tools for the job.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Yeah I heard he wipes his arse with 20s as well.

Cmon man, if we we tomorrow we're through and that's brilliant, but if you don't think the first 2 games were conservative then I think you were watching the wrong game.

11 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Yeah I heard he wipes his arse with 20s as well.

Cmon man, if we we tomorrow we're through and that's brilliant, but if you don't think the first 2 games were conservative then I think you were watching the wrong game.

C'mon man, I was clearly speaking about his time overall as a manager and was speaking to those who would seek to define him overall as a conservative manager (there are many posts on this thread of people dismissing him as too conservative as if it as an immanent characteristic) when there's ample evidence to contradict this. The game against Spain at home could have easily ended up 4-0 to us and there would be few complaints. Obviously it's necessarily to play "conservatively" depending on the opponent, but characterising his entire management style as "conservative" is wide of the mark. 

Wiping your arse with £20s sounds painful. 

36 minutes ago, velo army said:

C'mon man, I was clearly speaking about his time overall as a manager and was speaking to those who would seek to define him overall as a conservative manager (there are many posts on this thread of people dismissing him as too conservative as if it as an immanent characteristic) when there's ample evidence to contradict this. The game against Spain at home could have easily ended up 4-0 to us and there would be few complaints. Obviously it's necessarily to play "conservatively" depending on the opponent, but characterising his entire management style as "conservative" is wide of the mark. 

Wiping your arse with £20s sounds painful. 

There's very few teams in the world who would line up with a back 5 at home to N Ireland, apparently we're one of those minnows.

His entire management style and tenure overall has been very conservative. If we go thru tomorrow I don't think that perception will change.

Hopefully Clarke sends the team out to press high and with intensity. Hopefully we play with a fast tempo and we play with controlled aggression.

If we go out, I would rather we go out fighting rather than with a whimper.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Well no, not really.

It was all about stopping them we weren't talking about how positive we need to be to win.

We can do both though, no?

When they have the ball we do have to stop their best players getting time and space on the ball. That doesn’t mean we aren’t going to be positive and attacking when we do have the ball.

5 hours ago, PB1994 said:

We can do both though, no?

When they have the ball we do have to stop their best players getting time and space on the ball. That doesn’t mean we aren’t going to be positive and attacking when we do have the ball.

Yes, absolutely.