Steve Clarke - in/out/general discussion

11 hours ago, MarkoP said:

Huge opportunity, blown by conservatism 

Brexit thread for this pish.

As for Clarke, it's about as clear a case of "taken the team as far as I can" as you'll ever see. My kingdom for a maverick foreigner (ideally an ex-Serie A stalwart) as gaffer. 

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Last night the Hungary team featured a guy from Barnsley and a couple of Hungarian league players. Some of our players might not be “up to it” but the same is true for many teams at this tournament - that’s international football for you. It doesn’t excuse our pitiful performances.

if you can get a team playing for you and in an effective manner , you can achieve a lot more in international football. clarke has done that to be fair but the next step seems too much for him.

10 hours ago, Chripper said:

People should genuinely get a grip and stop acting like entitled brats.

A little perspective is required: 

In the previous four years we've qualified for two major tournaments. The previous twenty years before that we qualified for nothing. 

This is a good time to be a Scotland fan. 

Yes. We lost tonight. We went out with a whimper, etc.

it is what it is.

I have no complaints. I feel magnanimous about it. We deserved to be eliminated tonight but the world will still keep on turning and we'll be ready for the World Cup qualifiers when it comes around.

We're lacking a goalscorer, top class centerbacks, a top keeper, a ball winning midfielder, a player with pace and a dribbler. 

On the horizon we have Doak coming through. We have Barron coming through. We have Hickey and Ferguson to come back from injury. We have Miller coming through. 

Will the aforementioned players make a difference? Hickey, Ferguson will and Doak could very well be a generation talent and I think Barron and Miller have potential. 

Sadly there's no keeper or goalscorer on the horizon.

As far as I'm concerned Steve Clarke has credit in the back. He's got us to two tournaments. Yes, we've only taken two points but at least we are qualifying. 

Clarke's contract is up after the World Cup. I said yesterday that I'd offer him a new contract, and I still would. 

We could be in a worse position than being knocked out of a European Championships.

It's hardly worth having a massive pity party.

Onwards and upwards. :)

Sorry, but I'm standing and applauding this utter, utter horseshit.  Absolutely spectacular.

47 minutes ago, bennett said:

He's one step away from shouting we won the Falklands war.

Be put down to heat-of-moment but it is poor and ignorant.

Tello's apparently fluent in English, most are non-British* and none will speak Hungarian, the VAR was European (Spanish) and non-Europeans have officiated before** including our own match v Croatia at Hampden last tournament.

*:
image.thumb.png.600de6991d68f7ccb8579fbe7d1075d7.png

Euro 2020
On 21 April 2021, UEFA announced the 19 refereeing teams for the tournament.
[143] This included Argentine referee Fernando Rapallini and his assistants, who were the first South American officials to be selected for the European Championship as part of UEFA's referee exchange programme with CONMEBOL. A group of Spanish officials were similarly selected for the 2021 Copa América.[144]
image.png.53347039dfdc9a7596e8832797ddd969.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, Galajambo said:

Let's look at this a bit, one guy has managed Everton, Man Utd, Sunderland, Real Sociedad, West Ham twice, and won a European trophy, the other has been sacked by Reading, sacked by West Brom, and managed one good season at Killie, there isn't even an argument here! 

Hilariously bad faith argument to state the teams by whom Clarke was sacked by, when Moyes has been sacked, "left by mutual consent" or had his contract unrenewed by every club he's worked for since he left Everton over a decade ago.

I think Moyes is a good manager. I also think Clarke is a good manager. I actually think they're extremely similar in both their style and demeanor. I'm not at all convinced that Moyes is a definitive upgrade. It's fresh-ish v continuity, for essentially the same thing. I'd prefer continuity for now.

Obviously there're more options in the world of available football managers than just David Moyes, but like others have said, I don't trust the SFA to get that right, even if there are better options than Clarke, which, given the limitations in attacking options we have as a nation, and his relationship with / knowledge of the players, I'm not convinced there is. 

We can all complain, but in reality, sometimes football teams have a ceiling, regardless of the formation, tactics, etc chosen, and given the limiting factor of the players that were unavailable - especially last night - I think we just hit that ceiling.

Edited by J_Stewart

Can't argue that his comments about the ref are pretty terrible. You could say that it's attempt to take the heat off the players, but if you're trying to do that then it's pretty important that you don't come across as a bigot at the same time. 

57 minutes ago, gerrymcc1978 said:

one thing about moyes is , he can organise a team but at least tries to put other teams defences under a bit of pressure, dont get me wrong west ham went stale under him but that was after a considerable amount of success.

I was all for Moyes getting the gig until he said during the HT analysis against Switzerland than the plan was working perfectly and we should play for a draw until the 80th minute then maybe try and sneak it.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Said this on the other thread.

I like Clarke, I think he's overall done a very good job over the past few years. I'm certainly not calling for him T be sacked, but there is an argument that he's done all he can with us, and if he decides to walk I won't be too disappointed.

This is pretty much where I am with the situation.  If I was in charge, I would give him World Cup Qualifying and, if the same thing happens again, get rid.

I'm a huge fan of Clarke but I'm just hoping he can have the humility to admit he made mistakes and learn from them.

ETA if he is too stubborn to admit that, then he should go.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

It's clear that folk haven't fully appreciated what Clarke's done for the national team. He created a system that worked, evolved it over the years and managed to reduce the number of questionable call-offs which has helped create more consistency in selections. That's not to say that he's exempt from criticism or even being sacked, but he's managed to turn apathy into the best four years supporting Scotland that many of us have ever had.

Plenty of people have never taken to him - "two penalty shootouts", "back door to the Euros", "one good season at Kilmarnock" and countless other crap excuses for why he's actually a shite manager - which kind of delegitimises their arguments when it comes to bad moments like this one. This and June 2022 have been the closest I've got to thinking that it might be worth moving him on, however, like in 2022, he's done enough as Scotland manage to merit more time to show that he can respond to massive disappointment. 

I think your first paragraph is all spot on, but the problem is that the solidity he has created turns into a massive liability at finals (which are a bit of a sprint compared to the marathon of qualifiers). We've seen it twice now - we looked way out of our depth and he was totally unable or unwilling to freshen up the starting XI by resting visibly fatigued / out of form players, or to change the shape and approach - and he finally made changes far too late.  We didn't deserve to go through last night, and when you take the two Euros he's got us to, the performances have been pretty abysmal, with the exception of the England and Swiss draws which were decent and bare pass marks respectively.  So, the question is; are we happy to be more likely to qualify than before (maybe; the squad is ageing) but make fools of ourselves when we get there and thus stick with Clarke option, by playing turgid, defensive, predictable football, or should we try a new approach?

I've generally admired everything that Clarke has achieved - our finals drought since 98 was becoming a huge burden and he's got rid of it and given us some excitement by qualifying (and in amazing nights like the Spain home match, and promising ones like Spain away and even Holland away for the most part) - but I'm still seething at the nonsense he is responsible for last night.  Using the non-penalty as a smokescreen to avoid owning up to any tactical errors is pathetic too.

Ultimately, it's almost like we have a "qualification" manager who could do with being subbed out when we get to the actual finals...

Edited by VictorOnopko

The comments on the referee’s nationality are as cringe as it gets. I’m surprised there’s not been more uproar about it.

“I don’t understand why he’s here and not in his own country”. 

ffs

The fuck does the referee's nationality have to do with the Scotland players and management treating last night's must win game like a preseason friendly.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I was all for Moyes getting the gig until he said during the HT analysis against Switzerland than the plan was working perfectly and we should play for a draw until the 80th minute then maybe try and sneak it.

Jesus 

The end of the road for me. Same mistakes as Euro 2020. The form in the last year has been dreadful as well. Baffling team selections and tactical decisions.

It’s relatively easy for average teams to qualify for the Euros now, that shouldn’t be the benchmark of success any more.

Thanks Steve but it’s time for a fresh voice to come in.

The decision to play England, France and The Netherlands all within 5 months seemed strange too.  It was meant as a 'We're going to be playing these types of sides in the Nation's League so need to get used to them' but in reality it ended up as 'We've killed all momentum we had from the qualifying group stone fucking dead'.